Help me choose a species.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
Hey first and foremost I would like to say that I have read so far about 100 pages of the macaw sub forum and I have seen this thread several times but there are a lot of new people on the forums now and I would like to hear everyone's opinion. I will be purchasing a macaw next spring from AZParrots.com(if anyone would look at their site and tell me what they think it would be appreciated) I talked to The woman in charge Dee for a couple hours who walked me through what would be the best macaw to start out with so my options are a B&G a Greenwing or a Harlequin. No matter what I choose the macaw will get about 12 hours a day with me for training and bonding and socialization and probabably a couple more hours on the weekend.
I will be purchasing a double macaw cage for the bird room and a large Java tree for the living room also a t perch for every other room along with a large array of toys and a jungle gym for my aviary. I am really excited to be able to make my own toys because I am a decent carpenter and think I could make some cool stuff. I will also make sure that I have a good amount in the bank account for vet bills and other emergencys(like stitches and ear plugs lol). What do you guys think would be a good macaw for me or what are your personal favorites. Also what do you guys think about maverick if it's about I think having both goose and maverick would be pretty funny.

Last edited:

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Are you set on one of the larger species? Or are you considering any of the "mini" Macaws as well?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My macaw experience is limited to a pair of B&Gs and a GW. Of the two species, I found the GW to be far more engaging and much less nippy. Not a big sample to be of help!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
As an Adoption Coordinator for a very busy parrot rescue overflowing with macaws, are you sure a baby is the correct path? I won't get into the ethical debate of adopt vs purchasing, but the question is simply if you have very limited macaw experience, getting thru sexual maturity might be much more then you bargain for.

Some of the most amazing relationships with a large macaw is when you let an adult macaw pick you. My beloved Max picked me when he was 25 years old, never wanted a macaw, but the bond I have with him is beyond words. I don't believe if he had come home as a baby, I would be his chosen person as an adult, like all kids, they grow up and pick their own best friend.

As for species, speaking from hands on experience at the shelter, take the hybrid off the list.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do. I would encourage you to volunteer at a shelter if you can, reading and talking to people is great, but hands on experience is by far the best thing you can do to help yourself be successful in living with a macaw. I joke I went thru Macaw 101 training before Max came home. And it has been invaluable teaching for dealing with those macaw moments and hormonal times.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

As for species, speaking from hands on experience at the shelter, take the hybrid off the list.

I totally agree with the notion of letting them pick you. Their ability to discern who they wish to bond with is amazing.

Curious as to your exclusion of the hybrid. My preference is always to maintain species purity despite the beauty of some interbreeding. Are their behaviors also problematic?

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I also agree with the notion of letting the bird pick you. If you go back and read my thread from when I'd just heard about a couple birds who needed a home, you can see that I wasn't initially inclined to even get a new bird, but definitely not the scarlet of the two birds I was going to meet. From their descriptions, I was initially leaning towards the other bird, an older blue and gold male. But when I got there, there was just something about Charlotte. I can explain it. There was this connection and I knew that even though she bit anybody that came within five feet of her and had to be handled using a stoic that was reinforced to protect hands and arms that this was my bird. Or I was her human. Now, six weeks later, she's a big old snuggle bug who never wants to be anywhere but on my arm or knee. If I hadn't been open to letting a bird choose me, we'd both be less happy. Who knows where she might have wound up. An aggressive, disabled, plucked bird doesn't exactly inspire people to love her, so she may have never found a good home if I didn't stumble upon knowing of her existence. If I'd taken the blue and gold because he was friendlier and prettier, I would have never known the pure love that Charlotte gives me.

It's okay to have an idea of what you want, but for the best match, you need to be open to letting other birds pick you.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)

I totally agree with the notion of letting them pick you. Their ability to discern who they wish to bond with is amazing.

Curious as to your exclusion of the hybrid. My preference is always to maintain species purity despite the beauty of some interbreeding. Are their behaviors also problematic?

You want to get me blasted don't ya!? :)

Parrots don't tend to be like other types of animals where you have 'mixes' and they get the best attributes from each parent. Tho we are comparing species to breeds, just for example, let's use dogs as a comparison. Most often a cross or mutt will be the most wonderful personality, having the best traits. Not so much with parrots...

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY.... out of all the hybrids we have / had at the shelter, the vast majority tend to be ummm... problematic (trying to be polite). There is only one single hybrid macaw I can think of that has a friendly or trustworthy disposition. We even have a hyacinth hybrid (go ahead ask why someone would even cross a hyacinth), and she is a sanctuary bird because she literally broke two bones in the breeder's wrist. She has a larger beak then a pure hyacinth, and girlfriend knows how powerful she is... and she knows you know she knows... Tho Jeanne (shelter owner) can handle her, it is with great focus and care because Whoopee will take a swipe as soon as she gets the chance. All macaw body language, warnings, etc go out the window when dealing with many hybrids. I joke that if she was human she would a psychopath serial killer (and yes, like the textbook definition, she has an often charming personality that can lead one to believe she is not just waiting for her opportunity).

Not saying every hybrid has emotional or behavior issues, like every living creature, there is never a rule or definition that applies to every individual... but from my experience and direct knowledge, I would generally not recommend a hybrid and agree with you, we should not mess with mother nature - she knows best :)

And you don't even want to ask me what I think about cockatoo hybrids - literally run screaming from the room :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

You want to get me blasted don't ya!? :)

Parrots don't tend to be like other types of animals where you have 'mixes' and they get the best attributes from each parent. Tho we are comparing species to breeds, just for example, let's use dogs as a comparison. Most often a cross or mutt will be the most wonderful personality, having the best traits. Not so much with parrots...

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY.... out of all the hybrids we have / had at the shelter, the vast majority tend to be ummm... problematic (trying to be polite). There is only one single hybrid macaw I can think of that has a friendly or trustworthy disposition. We even have a hyacinth hybrid (go ahead ask why someone would even cross a hyacinth), and she is a sanctuary bird because she literally broke two bones in the breeder's wrist. She has a larger beak then a pure hyacinth, and girlfriend knows how powerful she is... and she knows you know she knows... Tho Jeanne (shelter owner) can handle her, it is with great focus and care because Whoopee will take a swipe as soon as she gets the chance. All macaw body language, warnings, etc go out the window when dealing with many hybrids. I joke that if she was human she would a psychopath serial killer (and yes, like the textbook definition, she has an often charming personality that can lead one to believe she is not just waiting for her opportunity).

Not saying every hybrid has emotional or behavior issues, like every living creature, there is never a rule or definition that applies to every individual... but from my experience and direct knowledge, I would generally not recommend a hybrid and agree with you, we should not mess with mother nature - she knows best :)

And you don't even want to ask me what I think about cockatoo hybrids - literally run screaming from the room :)

Fascinating, Jen!! I've never been exposed to a hybrid macaw and would never deliberately interbreed them. Cockatoos are problematic enough without splicing their worst traits into one package!!

Most Reactions