Help me identify my childhood parrots

Joog

Oct 1, 2011
Hi everyone,

When I was 4-5 years old, we were bequeathed 2 parrots, Dakota and Keo.

Dakota was a large, all-dark green bird with a black beak. He was very mean, and my dad would have to use thick gloves to change his water/food. Other parrot owners have suggested it was a military macaw, but the green was darker than the military macaw, and it did not have any other colored feathers besides green.

Keo was small to medium-sized with all-navy feathers and a yellowish beak. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of either one, so if you could list any parrots you know of that fit my descriptions, that would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Hello. First sounds like a male eclectus. Not sure on the second.... : )

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Hello. First sounds like a male eclectus. Not sure on the second.... : )

A male eclectus wouldn't have a black beak though... They have the "candy corn" orange and yellow beak. My first thought was some type of amazon, but they don't really have dark green feathers. Maybe a jardine's parrot??

I'm not sure on the second one. I really can't think of a bird that fits that description...

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Are you sure that Keo was a parrot? My mynahs were bluish black, with yellow beaks. Did Keo have yellow face markings?

OP
J

Joog

Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for responses, I just spoke with my dad to help describe them. I guess I remembered Dakota wrong. That, or I never looked at it close enough because it always tried to bite me. I remember the beak being dark, but it wasn't black. My dad described it as beige, but darker. I agree with that. There was also a little bit of yellow by the side of the wings. The green really wasn't as dark as I recall - he described the green color similar to that of a rice field.

My description of Keo is spot-on though, since I actually took care of him. His feathers shined under light if that helps. His size I would say was the same, maybe a little smaller, than our Congo African Grey was.

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Thanks for responses, I just spoke with my dad to help describe them. I guess I remembered Dakota wrong. That, or I never looked at it close enough because it always tried to bite me. I remember the beak being dark, but it wasn't black. My dad described it as beige, but darker. I agree with that. There was also a little bit of yellow by the side of the wings. The green really wasn't as dark as I recall - he described the green color similar to that of a rice field.

My description of Keo is spot-on though, since I actually took care of him. His feathers shined under light if that helps. His size I would say was the same, maybe a little smaller, than our Congo African Grey was.

Could Keo have been some type of pionus parrot? Look up the bronze winged pionus. They have a dark blue color, yellowish beak, and shiny bronze colored wings.

OP
J

Joog

Oct 1, 2011
BillsBirds,

He was most definitely a parrot, since his beak was shaped liked any other parrot and not like a mynah. Good thinking outside the box though!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just thought I'd ask. Several times people refered to my mynahs as parrots, because they were pet birds that talked.

OP
J

Joog

Oct 1, 2011

Could Keo have been some type of pionus parrot? Look up the bronze winged pionus. They have a dark blue color, yellowish beak, and shiny bronze colored wings.

Yes, you may be right. Keo was the same size, similar beak, and the darkest blue feathers I see look very similar. However, I don't remember Keo having different colored feathers, I just remember it being a navy color. I'm 95% sure the wings were bronze just like you mentioned, I would like to see this bird up close.

Last edited:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Could the second one have been a hyacinth macaw? They are big, dark blue, and have yellow skin around their faces.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Never mind, you said it was small. Those guys are huge. lol.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
The first sounds like a male Eclectus or an amazon. Not sure on the second one, but it could have been a Pionus.

My Yellow Crowned Amazon has both dark and horn color on his beak.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I also think the first ones an amazon of some sort, good luck with your search :)!

Most Reactions