Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hi everyone,

So just so I donā€™t get comments about feeding a seed mix, I feed Versele-Laga Premium Prestige, which is a complete food contains a balance of pellets and seeds specifically formulated for certain species. Unfortunately I donā€™t have access to all of the beloved all-pellet brands that are available in the US and elsewhere for my parrots. a lot of pellet brands are available for larger parrots here, but almost none are available for little parrots. Hence, I feed the Budgie Premium Prestige and Cockatiel Premium Prestige, and my birds have been healthy on it for years (as well as their balanced diet of fresh veggies and fruits, and egg food and what not).

Now that thatā€™s out of the way, I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this seed from Berryā€™s cockatiel mix. Iā€™m asking because it is literally her favourite seed, and I would like to use these as treats for training (instead of sunflower seeds, because she definitely prefers these!). The packet lists the ingredients, but I really have no idea what kind of seed this is out of the bunch.

d50f198dde0b79502187c19ee2b8124b.jpg

If anyone knows, let me know!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have seen this in many seed mixes, but don't know the identity. None of my birds eat them, seems like "filler!"

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yep we need to know the ingredient list. I should be able to ID it from there.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Looks to me like Japanese Millet Seed, if that's on your ingredient list. There are sooooo many types of seeds and grains that are added to bird food, especially these types of pellet/seed/grain/veggie/fruit/nut/nut heart mixes, and they all look similar, lol. So it's tough...but if Japanese Millet Seed is on the ingredient list on the back of the bag, then that's what they are. Common type of millet seed added to these mixed parrot foods, along with white and red millet seeds...

And there is nothing wrong with feeding your Budgies a pellet/seed mix at all, just as long as it's a mix high in protein, moderate in fat, with a varied ingredient list, and most importantly is FORTIFIED with vitamins, minerals, prebiotics, probiotics, etc., which I believe this brand is. Most mixes like this that contain seeds and grains in addition to pellets, dried veggies and fruits, etc. are fortified. I have been feeding my parrots Zupreem Natural Pellets along with SunSeed Vita Prima mix for years, and prior to that it was a fortified mix from Ecotrition. No health issues, healthy weights, long lives. And if you don't have access to a pellet mix for your birds, as many people living in certain countries/regions of the world don't, then you do the next-best thing, which is a fortified seed/pellet/grain mix...

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hereā€™s the ingredient list, sorry for taking a while to post it:

Yellow millet, White millet, Canary seed, Striped sunflower seeds, VAM pellets, Peeled oats, Cardy, Red millet, Buckwheat Hempseed, inseed, Paddy rice, White sunflower seeds, Wheat, Japanese millet, Oyster shells, Niger seed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
That same seed is in my Abba Soak Seed, list: Ingredients: Thistle seed, Rape Seed, Canary grass Seed, Wheat, Buckwheat, , Millet Seed, Safflower Seed, red milo, yellow milo, Non-Viable Hemp Seed, Mung Beans, Lettuce... plus minerals.

Most Reactions