HELP me.

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
I'm sooo frustrated right now I feel like crying. And I never cry.

I was told to give Ricco (G2) meds orally for 14 days, twice a day. But the vet didn't even show me how to do it and she knew it was my first bird.... I'm mad over that, but the vet is over an hour away so I can't just go back... Anyway, I got his meds into him this morning by toweling him. But just now when I went to do it again, he absolutely refuses. Every time he sees the syringe he FREAKS out, sqwaking, running away, trying to fly, biting, etc. Just freaks out completely.

I've looked it up online, youtube vids, etc. I cannot find anything to help with a bird that WILL not take his meds... I tried for about 15 mins, but I could tell he was getting really stressed out and I was getting frustrated so I just put him back in his cage to let him (and me) calm down.

Anyone have any tips? I'm seriously thinking about calling my local vets tomorrow to see if any of them can just do it for me for the next two weeks. I'd rather drive 10 minutes and get it done than have to towel him and it take 30... Then again, that proves another problem... I fear that after a few days, he's going to freak out every time I have to put him in the carrier or car... UGH. :( :( :confused: :( HELP.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I'm so sorry you're having trouble, first off, breath! Getting worked up will only get him worked up. If you have someone else that can restrain him while you give him the medicine, that would be the easiest bet.

If not, can it be added to food? like maybe dip something absorbent in it or mix it with some all natural peanut butter? How about pretending that your eating it and making it look like it's really tasty? My goffins wanted anything I had and if I really hyped it up then she really wanted it.

Just some ideas, if none of them work you may want to go the vet route. And I'm sure others will have even more ideas for you. Don't worry, we're always here to help :)

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
When my conure was sick a few years ago and needed baytril, I had a hard time too. I was trying to inject into raisins, grapes, you name it. Then someone said to try apple juice...I put a little apple juice on a spoon, along with the meds and he licked the spoon clean haha. What medicine is it? Does it have a foul odor?

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Oh, gosh, thank you guys. I went to work (I have a cleaning job, only takes a couple hours each weekend) and cleaned out my frustrations! LOL. I'm feeling much better now. I just needed to calm down. I have bad anxiety so what most people would just sigh and shrug their shoulders at, I have panic attacks about... And this was difficult!

Anyway, thanks so much for the suggestions. I had my SO give him the meds this morning while I toweled him because she's terrified of being bitten and he doesn't like her already... But I noticed a bit of red on his tongue afterwards and I thought it was blood, but then I thought maybe it was the Baytril, not blood. Well after I looked at the towel again this evening, I realized it was blood... :( He seems fine now, though. No blood that I can see. So now I'm really nervous about her doing it, I know it was just an accident, but I don't want him hurt...

Anyway, I will try those tomorrow morning. I really just don't want to stress him out anymore tonight and it's really late so we all need some rest. <3

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
And no, it doesn't have a foul odor. The people there mix it with Pina Colada mix LOL.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I think it does have a foul odor and taste , so hiding it in something is going to be difficult.
You are in a bit of a bind my dear...but look , he will get over it , so don't work yourself up. He will survive taking meds don't worry and he won't hold it against you....
And if you think he will , take him in to the vet and let them do it , but try to make a pleasant trip out of it. Take him for a car ride and put him back in his cage , then the next time is to the vet , repeat . But seriously , I doubt very much he will hold this against you.
But , if you don want to be the bad guy , let the vet do it. So what if he doesn't like the care ride anymore....I would rather think that instead of thinking he doesn't like me , JMO.

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Sorry to hear that your bird is sick..Baytril has a strong odor and a bitter taste so if it isn't flavored correctly the bird won't take it..Maybe try applying the meds on a nutriberry?? Birds seem to like them.. My birds go crazy for animal crackers..You could try one saturated with the meds. You can get them at the supermarket for very cheap...What was wrong with your bird? Hope this helps!

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
Last time I had baytril, it was sweet smelling. I wonder if the vets can mix it up differently? Mine smelled just like the antibiotic I used to take as a kid. The pink stuff you put in the fridge. When I smelled it, it took me back instantly haha. You said your vet mixes it with Pina Colada...does that mean they make a suspension that is already pina colada flavored?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Birds do not have the same taste buds or sense of smell as humans, which is one of the reasons they like spicy foods. So while you and I may not think something smells foul, or even has a scent, they probably can smell is a mile away and it may or may not be pleasing.

Try juice, as Jenlynn suggested. Unfortunately, there may not be very many options other than toweling him every single time. I can't do either of mine's nails without towling, sadly. I've never had to give either of these guys oral meds, so I'm of little help on this front :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Last time I had baytril, it was sweet smelling. I wonder if the vets can mix it up differently? Mine smelled just like the antibiotic I used to take as a kid. The pink stuff you put in the fridge. When I smelled it, it took me back instantly haha. You said your vet mixes it with Pina Colada...does that mean they make a suspension that is already pina colada flavored?

Vet can mix flavoring into it. The poster's vet should know better about birds with meds....I would actually suggest in finding another vet....My vet mix flavoring into the meds and they take it a lot easier.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Baytril is nasty tasting stuff. My cockatoo never would take meds even with flavoring. I did the injecting peas and raisins bit and only ended up wasting meds. If he won't take it in formula, I'd just suck it up and go the direct route. Towel him and dose him. Sometimes with cockatoos its easier to start off with the bird on your lap. Have the bird sitting on the towel. Have the meds already drawn up and sitting within easy reach. Sit and talk to the bird a few moment and then calmly lift the sides of the towel so he's wrapped in it. Honestly, if its taking 15 minutes, your probably being too nice and stressing both of you out more than you need to. Once you've got the bird in position, don't give it a break and let up on your grip. You'll just make it take longer and if the bird has a beakful of medicine they will just let it dribble out on the towel or shake their head and it goes everywhere. I have a little quaker hen that needs medicine right now for a self inflicted injury. So I took a video of her getting dosed. I've done the same thing with a very nasty male amazon, although I would not be handling him so casually without a towel, nor allowing him such close access to important body parts as is shown in the vid of the quaker. Not sure if its good enough quality to help you or not. Its just a cheap little camera. Sorry, disregard my choice of clothing. This was 1:30 in the am and I was in my jammies. LOL. So here it is:
P6190017.mp4 video by melissasparrots - Photobucket

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thank you guys SO much. Melissa, that video was WONDERFUL. Thanks a lot for doing that. :) I will take your tips.

I actually just gave him his meds a little bit ago. I tried the spoon thing, but for some reason he's terrified of spoons?! It's so weird. I ended up using gloves. It worked and I got his meds into him but now he keeps grabbing his beak like it hurts. He's been doing it for a good 10 minutes now. Grabbing his beak, putting his toenail in his mouth and flicking, raking his beak along the cage bars, etc. It's worrying me... Should I call the vet? :( I don't see any blood or anything. If his beak/tongue hurts, I could give him the pain meds, but that would require syringe again and probably cause more problems. Ugh! :(

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
maybe the meds just taste really bad and that is why he keeps grabbing his beak?
Hang in there your doing a great job : )

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thank you. :) I'm sure trying.

After the meds, I decided to take him in the shower with me to cheer him up because he seems to really enjoy showers. He took a bit of one, though not as eagerly as yesterday. He groomed my cuticles for me which gave me a chance to look in his beak and I saw absolutely nothing saying it hurt him, so maybe the meds just taste bad or the syringe freaks him out more than I thought. Hmmm...

He's stopped the grabbing thing thank goodness. After the shower, I let him sit on the towel rack while I brushed my hair and stuff. Then I let him sit on my bed while I folded laundry and we listened to music. He stood on my laptop and watched the music video lol. He hasn't danced much today. I think he's realizing that he's not going back home maybe.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Thank you guys SO much. Melissa, that video was WONDERFUL. Thanks a lot for doing that. :) I will take your tips.

I actually just gave him his meds a little bit ago. I tried the spoon thing, but for some reason he's terrified of spoons?! It's so weird. I ended up using gloves. It worked and I got his meds into him but now he keeps grabbing his beak like it hurts. He's been doing it for a good 10 minutes now. Grabbing his beak, putting his toenail in his mouth and flicking, raking his beak along the cage bars, etc. It's worrying me... Should I call the vet? :( I don't see any blood or anything. If his beak/tongue hurts, I could give him the pain meds, but that would require syringe again and probably cause more problems. Ugh! :(

Meds are icky. THey make their beak feel slimy and sticky so yes often times they will grab their beak as though to wipe it off or stick their toes in their mouth to clean out the icky stuff. I would try to avoid using gloves. My experience is that its a great way to create a hand-shy bird. Gloves make hands look grotesquely scary and deformed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts