Help! Muted baby bird! :(

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
If he is flying and or trying to fly and drinks water on his own from a container or dish then he is ready to have water. If he was on a bird hand feeding formula or still being fed by his parent he would be getting water from that and wouldn't need additional water but that doesn't sound like how you are feeding him, if he is on seed and worms then where do you propose his fluid intake is coming from? He will not be getting enough from worms. Water does not leach nutrients. Even when I am hand feeding baby birds (parrots) I always give them a very little water at the end of the feeding (slowly and carefully!) to rinse the hand feeding formula out of their mouths, the stuff is like glue so I want their beaks and mouths clean. (Any time you are feeding a baby there are aspiration fears that is why it shouldn't be attempted by inexperienced people.)
I am a bit confused as to how old this baby is, fully feathered? trying to fly? eating and drinking on it's own?

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
He hasn't eaten on his own and he is very fluffy and has total feathers on his wings and is starting feathers on his tail, but no other feathers.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
If he is flying and or trying to fly and drinks water on his own from a container or dish then he is ready to have water. If he was on a bird hand feeding formula or still being fed by his parent he would be getting water from that and wouldn't need additional water but that doesn't sound like how you are feeding him, if he is on seed and worms then where do you propose his fluid intake is coming from? He will not be getting enough from worms. Water does not leach nutrients. Even when I am hand feeding baby birds (parrots) I always give them a very little water at the end of the feeding (slowly and carefully!) to rinse the hand feeding formula out of their mouths, the stuff is like glue so I want their beaks and mouths clean. (Any time you are feeding a baby there are aspiration fears that is why it shouldn't be attempted by inexperienced people.)
I am a bit confused as to how old this baby is, fully feathered? trying to fly? eating and drinking on it's own?

He's not on seed, they don't get seed when their this young. They get plenty of water from the food the parents bring, they shouldn't have water. I've done this countless times with quite a few different species of wild birds with success.
Baby birds, and fledglings are never given water by their parents...for millions and millions of years.
Giving the advice to give water at this time is giving harmful advice. He should be given live food or formula for his species only. Only in extreme cases of dehydration (from lack of feeding) can fluid be given, but a few drops of pedialyte. He's not dehydrated if he's eating, so it's unnecessary.
And yes it does leach out nutrients, their systems are working much differently than adult birds, and they make the most out of what they have.
They already have very loose stool as babies, water gives them diarrhea, and aspiration is also a danger. At this stage he would be completely reliant on his parents which feed every few minutes. Dehydration is not an issue!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

He's not on seed, they don't get seed when their this young. They get plenty of water from the food the parents bring, they shouldn't have water. I've done this countless times with quite a few different species of wild birds with success.
Baby birds, and fledglings are never given water by their parents...for millions and millions of years.
Giving the advice to give water at this time is giving harmful advice. He should be given live food or formula for his species only. Only in extreme cases of dehydration (from lack of feeding) can fluid be given, but a few drops of pedialyte. He's not dehydrated if he's eating, so it's unnecessary.
And yes it does leach out nutrients, their systems are working much differently than adult birds, and they make the most out of what they have.
They already have very loose stool as babies, water gives them diarrhea, and aspiration is also a danger. At this stage he would be completely reliant on his parents which feed every few minutes. Dehydration is not an issue!
Hence the reason I was asking age! Did you not read my post? I have been hand feeding baby parrots for over 20 yrs. The OP's post was very unclear as to how developed the baby was. Sheesh!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It's a beautiful day, lets be nice and just agree to respect each others views !! :)

Joe

I always try to play nice but I won't be told I am giving harmful advise by someone who clearly didn't actually read my post...now I am DONE!:mad:

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Ok people I do really agree with Gw. Joe let's all be friends! We all have our own views on how to do things and I trust both of you! And I'm sorry labell that you feel your advise is no so good! :( but it is I trust both of you like I said.

You both have your own opinions and that's good so I will mix both your advise and he seems to be happy now so thank you for both of your advises!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree with Joe, too. Let's all be nice. :)

WHAT type of bird are we talking about here? Robins are raised differently than let's say Goldfinches. :)

I've raised everything from Chickadees to Blue Jays, and their dietary needs were totally different.

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Gw I wish! but I have no idea at all how to put up a picture.... :( I am so not a computer person....

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Thanks! But I do know what he is, he is a stellers jay. He has his little crown on his head and he is blue and black. But thanks! I love looking at birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts