angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet called lia
Please check this link for video

My baby linnie has been acting weird
She shakes her head rapidly and make certain sound
When she's like this she also gets violent towards me
It doesn't look like a normal behavior to me but I don't know what is causing it
she's two and a half months old
I'm feeding her three times a day, formula in the morning some kind of snack in the afternoon and pallet in the evening
I let her sleep 12 hours but I think she only sleeps about 10-11hrs
she has plenty of toys and her cage is 30inch by 20 inch she also has playground
she spend about 6-7 hours outside cage
3-4 hours of that time is spent with me
I really want to make her as happy as possibly
I'm desperately trying to research but I haven't found anything
please help !

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I tried to watch your video and YouTube asked me to sign in. Can you repost the video differently?

One head shaking thing I’ve seen is when a bird is vomiting. Is that what’s happening? But you also write that she is “violent towards you” when she does this. Can you explain? Is there any chance she’s eaten too much and doesn’t want more because she’s vomiting?

OP
angleajang

angleajang

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet called lia
She moves her head very quickly and making angry sounds.
When she's like this she bites my hand If I approach her even little bit
she has never vomited
I measure her food exactly 5g to feed her morning and night
I leave her treats near her in the afternoon
I forgot to mention I clipped her wing as my vet has recommended
Maybe she's angry and depressed because of that :;(

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have clipped many birds and I have yet to see one really angry about it. Most of the issue is with the restraint for clipping and once they’re over being upset about that then things are ok. BUT that doesn’t mean that some birds might not feel more vulnerable from being clipped and act out.

I see her picture now. She’s a pretty bird.
My Quaker gets mad at me sometimes, and gives me pinches that I call punishment bites when he’s worked up. I just try to respect his feelings and not touch him until he’s settled down and ready to be petted. When I get him from his cage sometimes he’s wound up and crabby (even though he was calling to come out) and he will pinch me if I try to pet him right away.

Now I am thinking about how you described your bird’s behavior. I think it’s some sort of excited posturing which indicates “I’m upset or angry”. Is there a pattern to when she does this “snappy” behavior? Like right when she comes out, or if she’s been out for 20 minutes? I had a greencheek conure who could only be handled for about 15 minutes. Then he was too excited and started biting me.

So with Willow the Quaker, he needs time to settle down after leaving the cage before I pet him. Oscar the greencheek could be pet right away but he was DONE after 15 minutes. Can you make any conclusion about your bird, based on the timing of when she starts snapping and biting?

Most Reactions