HELP! My budgies just tried to mate!

Emio123456789

Oct 1, 2018
My two budgies often 'flirt' and feed each other and stuff and my one budgie often put his one foot on my other budgie, while my other budgie crouches and sticks her butt up, i always break it up when this happens but this time I didn't, I wanted to see if my female budgie might reject my male budgie since they do not have a nest and she is only ten months old. But then my budgie hopped onto my other budgie to begin mating, I freaked out and broke it up. What should I do? I read female budgies aren't mature enough at ten months to raise young and I'm not ready for eggs, is there anyway to prevent this behaviour? Should I prepare Incase there are eggs?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You should separate them if babies aren't an option (and remember, if you do ever have babies, you will also need to separate them, as they will eventually mate, even though they are siblings---and inbreeding=dangerous).
If you don't want eggs and you get them, you can boil them like you would a hard-boiled egg (and then make a small dot on the boiled ones so you can tell them apart from newer ones within the clutch). Once they are safely cooled, return them to the nest and do not remove them permanently until the whole clutch is laid and until she loses interest. If you do not, she will likely continue the laying cycle and produce more eggs.
You may think you are preventing the mating behavior, but I would bet you money that this isn't the first time.
Anyway, separating them is the only way to prevent fertile eggs.
Make sure you don't have any shadowy spaces in the cage and remove any conditions of abundance (these can stimulate eggs production).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts