HELP! My Conure's Eggs Hatched

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Thank you. One of those I had and another one I'm getting ready to print out and take it home to read. Won't read it tonight because I need to rest my eyes. I went home the last two nights with migraines...I need a break so I'm not giving my head any reason to hurt tonight.

One of the articles refers to incubators. I'm not using an incubator...I'm using a hen and they are different in my mind but maybe not in the minds of an author...or any one else out there.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Right now the parrot loving world is VERY touchy about breeding, and rightly so. Unfortunately there are a lot of misconceptions that go along with the passion for the welfare of birds that most people feel. There is an idea that all breeders must be experts. As a result many people never breed who would be good breeders, and many breeders pretend to be experts. Both of these things lead to a lack of knowledge among a large portion of breeders.

However, those of us who do take the plunge often don't have time to sugar coat or step softly, even if we have respect for what is going on in the other persons home. For example, I am having major problems with ,y cockatiel chicks right now, I'm off to the vet in a few minutes, I think I might lose the babies, and I don't know what went wrong. I read through your expanation and see that you are doing your best to br prepared, and that is pleasing to me. I have high hopes.

However instead of thinking that congratulations are in order, more questions are popping into my mind. Such as, why would you start with eclectus when they are one of the hardest to hand feed safely because of their weak feeding response? Most of us, if we are going to be helpful, have time only for the helpful things, and not for emotional support. This can make us seem harsh, when that is not what we are attempting. A good friend of mine who is in many ways my mentor as well once swore at me in her reaction to finding out a particular mistake I had been making, all because I followed the advice of another "experienced" breeder. Me following that advice was likely involved in the death of Koa, the Irn chick I was raising. She swore and basically told me I was killing him and that no one in their right mind would do what I was doing. Why? Did she think I'm a bad breeder? No, but she doesn't have time to hold my hand, the baby was in danger, she told me what I needed to know and how to fix it. You have to have a thick skin.

About the bashing. It does happen, but usually not on this forum. I am personally trying to be a lot more transparent here to help with the whole information device issue, as well as giving people more of an idea of what actually goes on at a "breeder." All breeders are so so so different, yet there seems to be an idea that there are simply good breeders and bad breeders, and that somehow the friendliness of the chicks and cleanliness of the cages are the best indicators of which is which. The only way to combat this is by being PAINFULLY open and BRUTALLYhonest with each other. Unfortunately that means we often have toes stepped on and look bad. We just have to deal with it.

As for the book, once you have babies you will likely find it more helpful. I read it every now and then, but I keep it in reserve. I also use his website and YouTube videos, including when I had to assist hatch these cockatiels. You have to use a hundred different resources. I consider this one of the vital ones, but it is not the only thing you need to read.

You say you have infertile eggs, have you been able to figure out why?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
As for hens and incubators, it is still very helpful to know what the egg needs at which times, which can help you solve problems in the nest even if you are using a hen rather than an incubator.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Thanks Dani - I'll try to answer your questions BUT before I do that I want you to know that it is because of you being so transparent that I was able to venture out and say what I did. You unknowingly (by sharing) answered some of my questions.

Why did I start with Ekkie's. Well, I have two people who want a baby and hate the high prices we have in the DC area. Also, I had an egg layer and a hen you LOVES LOVES LOVES to sit on her eggs and take care of them. Three I had someone who was willing to invest in a male ekkie for me...whether it works out or not.

I read - but I didn't dare ask here - that Ekkie's are some of the easiest bird to breed. That's why I really started with them and I had one. I didn't think it fitting to buy a pair of cockatiels and "try" breeding with a bird that I don't really care for. I went with what I had.

The Severes. As for the infertile. I've read...that the first clutches are many times infertile. So I wasn't too worried about the first one not being fertile. The second clutch was a surprise. I had taken down the nest box and wasn't expecting them to mate for another several months. She dropped an egg and it broke on the grate. I put up the nest box so that the rest of them wouldn't break. She sat on those much better than the first clutch. He does a great job and guards the box by day and sits in the box with her by nights. They were infertile. Repeat the third clutch - even the broken egg - this time. So that I don't candle the eggs I have put locks on the boxes - kid you not. I am going to have to separate them after this next clutch because she needs a break.

The Ekkies. This is her first clutch and well - I think they are just young. The regurge for each other. They both also do it for me. In the Spring of this year I witnessed her nesting and laying eggs right on the grate. While I was out of town the person watching my flock for me took her eggs away from her so she laid another clutch. She was nesting again this fall and showed interest in the nesting box so I left it. While I was gone she laid two eggs. While I was gone I also found out that the male ekkie just turned three. Although he loves to mate with me I don't think he knows what to do with her...at least I never saw it so I'm guessing that's why they aren't fertile.

Again, if it happens I want to be prepared to help in anyway that I can but I don't want to get so hung up in it that I lose interest in my flock.

My flock gets veggies mostly; fruit about 5-7 evenings a week; every one but the Ekkies gets pellets; and about once a week they get a mixture of large seeds, nuts, dried, fruit etc. Everyone has a calcium hanging treat or perch in their cages and the sitting pairs get extra vitamins and calcium mixed in their morning veggie mix. All of them are on special lighting.

OP
N

napsack

Jan 9, 2014
Ok everyone, sorry for the delay, i've been really busy.

The mother accepted the 2nd baby chick and has been taking great care of her, and I also went and got a ceramic non teflon space heather so help the mother out a little and keep the babies warm.

About being unprepared, I will say I was unprepared, but not because I didn't care, but because the breeding was an accident. I've read to keep males and females from breeding u should not keep them in light after the sun goes down, or give them soft foods like cheese and yogurt and so on because they confuse the light with natural light and think its spring and so on. I took all the precautions that I thought I knew about, including not using a happy hut to encourage nesting behavior, but it did in fact happen anyway, as is life.

The good news is all is well, and so far, both the mother and father seem like great parents. The mother stays in the box for 99% of the day with the 2 babies and the other eggs. The father comes out, eats a little, plays with his toys for about 30 seconds, then she yells at him for food and he runs back to the box and feeds her and then she feeds the babies. The father sleeps in the box with them at night to help keep them warm i'm assuming.

So far I'm really glad this is working out, my girlfriend is in medical school and I am a full time student as well trying to get into physical therapy school and have a full time job so our schedules are extremely busy!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
You are busy. I'm glad that the parents have taken in the other chick. I hope things continue to go well for you.

OP
N

napsack

Jan 9, 2014
You are busy. I'm glad that the parents have taken in the other chick. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Thank you! And i'm praying it continues to go well also. I appreciate it.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Thanks for the update! I've been pulling for the little guy.

So here is an example of someone not having time to be super gentle, but having a valid concern to raise and being ethically bound to do so; I would never breed a chronic egg layer. Ever. Please stop. Chronic egg laying is a health and mental health PROBLEM which is perpetuated by breeding hens who do this. This is also an example of exactly why we need this kind of thing. I know this is dangerous, but you do not, likely because a lot about ethical breeding isn't out there easy to find because breeders keep their ways quiet. It isn't saying you are a bad person, it is simply saying that I have information that I am now sharing with you. Chronic egg layers should not be bred.

Also, I personally do my best to keep prices high. Because I am a money monger? No, because I firmly believe that those who cannot afford the purchase price usually cannot afford the proper care. Lower prices make birds easier to get. I want parrots to be hard to get. Sound silly? The parakeets on Craigslist would likely have better lives if they were a lot more expensive. That's the short version.

How old is your hen Eckie? That seems awfully young to be allowing breeding.

I also do not allow three clutches in a row. The calcium for those eggs comes from the long bones of your hen, not directly from the diet you feed WHILE breeding. Also, I don't understand why you aren't candling? If they are not fertile, I suggest removing the box immediately and LETTING her drop eggs off the perch if that is what it takes. I don't understand what you hope to gain by not candling?

And for the OP, you had some of the right info, but only a small portion. Please read this article to help for. Next time.

Handling Hormones ? Silver Sage Aviaries

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I kept repeated candling. Like twice a week. I put the lock on to stop myself. It was like an addiction. I candled too early on the ekkie's but how do I know since I was out of town when she laid them.

I get the calcium thing. They have the calcium all the time. The pairs get the extra food calcium all the time in their diet.

I'm not happy about the chronic egg laying going on either. I didn't know the severe was a chronic egg layer until she had a mate. I took the nest box down, moved her cage, moved her cage to another level in the house and she still laid an egg. Won't letting her drop eggs just keep her dropping eggs and continue to make her a chronic egg layer. My next step will be to remove her mate.

I'm in the middle of packing my house up to move so sometimes other things get prioritized for me. Like getting the house ready for a sale versus putting up or taking a nesting box down one day or the next.

As for the Ekkie - I didn't realize that having a clutch once a year made her a chronic egg layer. Taking the eggs away a week after they lay the eggs will make them lay more. I didn't take them away from her my friend sitting for me did. Once she went the whole 28 days sitting on the new clutch in the spring she didn't lay another clutch until last week. The female ekkie is five.

As for the price...let's just say that the feeling around this area is to charge as much as you can because people will pay it here. I think that is sad.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ok everyone, sorry for the delay, i've been really busy.

The mother accepted the 2nd baby chick and has been taking great care of her, and I also went and got a ceramic non teflon space heather so help the mother out a little and keep the babies warm.

About being unprepared, I will say I was unprepared, but not because I didn't care, but because the breeding was an accident. I've read to keep males and females from breeding u should not keep them in light after the sun goes down, or give them soft foods like cheese and yogurt and so on because they confuse the light with natural light and think its spring and so on. I took all the precautions that I thought I knew about, including not using a happy hut to encourage nesting behavior, but it did in fact happen anyway, as is life.

The good news is all is well, and so far, both the mother and father seem like great parents. The mother stays in the box for 99% of the day with the 2 babies and the other eggs. The father comes out, eats a little, plays with his toys for about 30 seconds, then she yells at him for food and he runs back to the box and feeds her and then she feeds the babies. The father sleeps in the box with them at night to help keep them warm i'm assuming.

So far I'm really glad this is working out, my girlfriend is in medical school and I am a full time student as well trying to get into physical therapy school and have a full time job so our schedules are extremely busy!

Super awesome update!!!! Thank you for that! :D Keeping my fingers and toes crossed all will continue smoothly for all of you!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Loving the update! I'm so glad the mother accepted the second baby chick! I really felt for the little guy, and I'm glad you helped give him/her another shot at life, Napsack.

Mary Lynn, it sounds like you've put a lot of research into breeding, and I'm as heartened by that as I am by the fact you are so thirsty to learn even more. I think the understanding that there is always more to be learned, along with the necessary passion to pursue that further knowledge, are prerequisites for a good breeder. So keep asking your questions. I'm learning right alongside you.

I'm just loving all of the information flying back and forth, here. It's not only helpful for Mary Lynn, Grace and Napsack, but it's also proven quite the learning experience for me as well. Breeding is probably the area of keeping parrots that I know the least about, and I love learning new things.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I printed out several articles that were given and out of four I learned two more things...I think. I wrote notes in the margins so I could review them later. Some of the things that I read about breeders seem cruel and I hope that I never go there with the breeding. I don't want to seem casual about it. I know it can be a lot of work but I also know that the birds are supposed to do most of the work. In the event that the parents don't do their work I am ready to assist the parents and I have people who are ready to assist me if necessary. I can take off work if I have to and I could bring a chick into the office if necessary.

Question - about towels. I have brand new white towels ready for this event. I also bought some t-towels because they don't have the loops to get little toes (or big toes) caught in. Where can you buy large t-towels or towels with out the loops?

Gloves - do you use gloves every time you hold a chick or egg? If so, where do you get them? Do they have to be Latex free?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Towels for what?

I don't use gloves, but I'm very careful shout hand washing, etc.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Towels to put over the brooder to keep in the heat more/or less as needed. To put in the bottom of the brooder. To wipe up spills off the chicks if we have to hand feed. What do you use to clean up with or pick them up with?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I use paper towels and disinfectant to clean, and I pick them up with my clean washed hands.

OP
N

napsack

Jan 9, 2014
Quick question, do I need to change the parents diet since they are feeding the babies or can i just keep giving them their normal diet of pellets with some fruits and veges?

OP
N

napsack

Jan 9, 2014
Also how do I tell if the mom is feeding them? I hear the babies chirping a lot and i can't tell if they are hungry or cold and when i hear them sometimes i will look thru the hole in the box to see what she is doing and sometimes she is just sitting there.

OP
N

napsack

Jan 9, 2014
bump, is it normal for the babies to chirp for certain spouts of time? I heard 1 chirping earlier and went to check on it and looked in the box and the mother was sleeping, it was 10 o clock at night so i can understand that, but does that mean she is neglecting them and every time they chirp no matter the time the mother wakes up and feeds them? I just want to make sure they are being fed how they should be.

OP
N

napsack

Jan 9, 2014
How do I tell if she is feeding the babies? When I open the box she gets mad at me so i cannot physical see if she is feeding them or not.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Bump.

I don't know the answer to your question about how to tell if they are being fed, so just helping out however I can.

I will tell you this, though. I do know that hand-fed babies are known for asking for more food long after they've already had enough, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the behavior you describe was normal in a parent/child nesting situation as well.

Most Reactions