Help my distinguish what this sound means

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
Every time i walk by my parrot or call his name, he makes this sound. It pretty much only happens to me and no one else in my family. Any ideas what it could mean?

[ame=http://youtu.be/TTXrQox2CGY]Parrot Sound - YouTube[/ame]

I think its a sign of affection but im not sure.

Thanks!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. Is it an amazon ? couldn't really tell much from the video.

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
ya its a yellow crowned amazon. i can try and take a better recording, but the sound he makes is from the 1-2 second mark, he pretty much makes it everytime he sees me, regardless of what i'm doing

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:) I also could not really hear anything on the video:(

See if you can get a better recording! I also have a YC Amazon:)

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
Heres a much better video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJ7ePR-MF0"]Parrot - Youtube[/ame]

Main parts are from 0:18 ~ 0:55

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Amazons do tend to make their own little sounds... It sounds very similar to a noise that Codie makes and I have a feeling it is a happy sound.

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
:) thats what i thought.

On another note, everytime i take my parrot out, he comes on my finger, and i put him on the top of my cage (theres a wood perch, which he refuses to ever stand on lol).

Is there any way i can sort of limit his movement, without causing him harm? Because i have quite a bit of wood furniture, and he loves to wander down his cage and nibble away at the corners. I always tell him no and push him away, but the little terror always runs right back at it!

Also, once he's out of his cage, i sometimes have difficulty getting him to go back on my finger.. any tips?

*Note, his wings are not clipped, but he doesn't tend to fly except in very, very rare circumstances

Last edited by a moderator:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Try getting him a large Playstand.. I have Codie out all day on his stand and he plays quite happily! He never attempts to chew my furniture.. Make sure you supply hi with lots of toys to keep him occupied while he is out:)

I find Codie does not want to step on me if he knows I am going to put him back in his Cage... they can be quite crafty, but just keep persevering and firmly let him know that you are the boss. This you can do by firmly saying NO to him and you will find eventually he will know what you mean.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
:p thats what i tend to do when he goes towards it. I snap my fingers and say NO loudly.

As for the playstand, im sure he would just climb down unless theres some way to prevent him from doing so. Hes pretty crafty.

Out of curiosity, up until what age can you condition your parrot, cause mine is at least 30 years old, hes been in the family for at least 25 of those years

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yup that looks like a YCA. That sound had a couple of my hens begging,YNA and PAN. Although they make a different sound when begging it is somewhat similar. Aged birds can learn new tricks,if they enjoy interacting with you. Alot of not learning new things is because they don't need to, you and them know what they want with the "vocabulary" they use. They do speak in context and different words/sounds have different meanings. Many older rehomed zons may go many months before regularly using all of their known vocabulary and it's not unusual for them to use an older learned phase only when that special situation arises.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Will you be able to take a video of him up close? If he is angry, he will pin he's eyes. I never had a amazon before, but from he's body language, I don't see any sign of anger, he doesnt seem to be uncomfortable either, so I guess it's just him trying to tell you something.

My alexandrine parakeet would make this laughing sound, and then run over to me, if I ignore him, he would bite my finger gently and then rub hes head on my hand, that's he's way of telling me he wants to play. :D

If he sometimes won't step up onto your finger, try target/touch training him.

If you have any more question, feel free to ask me. :)

Happy new year

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Have a look on Youtube at clicker training a Parrot. This really is a very good method of training and many Members have had fantastic results from doing this.

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
alright, so essentially i condition the bird to associate the clicking sound with receiving a treat, but how does it teach him to not behave badly?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thats what the clicker is for. He will get to know that everytime he does an action that you are training him to do and he recieves a treat, that this is good.

I have seen Members on here totally at their wits end with their Birds and after a couple of Months of clicker training the transformation has been amazing:)

Give it a go.. you have nothing to lose:)

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
Thats what the clicker is for. He will get to know that everytime he does an action that you are training him to do and he recieves a treat, that this is good.

I have seen Members on here totally at their wits end with their Birds and after a couple of Months of clicker training the transformation has been amazing:)

Just bought one :D well see how it goes!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media

Just bought one :D well see how it goes!

Good luck:)

Lets us know how it goes... I am looking forward to hearing your progress with the clicker.

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
Good luck:)

Lets us know how it goes... I am looking forward to hearing your progress with the clicker.

Just another question. Should i always take my parrot out before treating him/using the clicker, or is it fine to sometimes take him out and sometimes do it through the cage? Because typically i don't hand feed him outside of the cage...

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
It is much better to try and do it while he is out if you can!! If this is not possible then maybe you could do it with the Door open, while he is on his perch.

OP
J

Jord911

Dec 29, 2012
It is much better to try and do it while he is out if you can!! If this is not possible then maybe you could do it with the Door open, while he is on his perch.

great suggestion! i'll try doing it this way!

Any suggestions for treats? The seed mix i give him has a few sunflower seeds mixed in (which we top off with pellets), so I'm looking for something a little different. My bird seems to love tomato sauce :D but I'm not sure how healthy it would be if i started rewarding him with that while training him. Usually i dip the tip of a small slice of bread in it and it hasn't had a negative impact on his health (brought him to the vet recently and he's in perfect health :) )

Most Reactions

Latest posts