Help Please!!! clueless

forthebirds2011

Jan 5, 2011
Some tenants in house I rent left, and left everything behind including a live parrot and a dead fish.

I need to Identify this parrot and avoid killing it before I figure out what to do with it.

It is bright green, red beak, red on wing shoulders, long skinny tail about 1/2 inch wide. a little black on the wing ends.

It stands around 8 -9 inches tall, and the tail is another 12 -14 inches. It seems skinnyer than the classic looking parrots i have seen. I would call this one medium sized.

Any help on care would be appreciated, what to feed and how much how often, how to handle and move it. how to avoid killing it, is non stick really an issue? what temperatures will it stand? Can I let the house cool to 55 while away at work? can I keep it by the wood stove @ 80? How to identify its breed. what is the tag on its leg? Is their any hope of selling it, or should I just give it away? If so for selling, how do I determine a price, cage included.? any other useful information?

thanks for any help!

Joe

Last edited:

Leroy_Paige

Nov 23, 2010
Media
Albums
Colorado
Parrots
Tuco the Nanday Conure, Satchel and Gibby DSH
It sounds like it could be a male eclectus. If u have a chance u should try and upload a pic. That's an expensive bird to leave behind.
55 is prolly too chilly and 80 isn't too hot but next to a woodstove could be too dry. The tag represents that it was bred. As for what to do with him, I will let others chime in on that issue

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Oh Joe that is horrible, I cant believe they would do something like that! Maybe something happened to them, an accident or something, did you try and locate them?

In what area are you, can you locate a rescue and ask them to pick the bird up?

He cant go without food and water and needs it especially early morning and at around 5 in the evening. I have no idea what type he is, can you post a photo? You can pick up food at a pets hop, pellets are the best. Also give him fruit cut into blocks and some grated veggies like carrots, butternut etc. You can leave the pellets in the cage through out the day.

I dont know what temp 55 is so I can only say that cold is not good for a parrot. I also do not know a wood stove, are there smoke? Yes non stick pans are deadly, as well as any other chemicals that you might be using in your house that includes fresheners.

Can you tell us what the tag on his leg says?

We dont know his history and whether he is tame or not. I wont take him out of the cage because you dont know if his wings are clipped or not - he might fly away. How big is the cage, can you move him with the cage? If that is not possible then you can use a towel to take him out and put him in a big enough box with holes in - that is just to move him to your house.

You really have me worried here.:(

nurseTina74

Dec 20, 2010
Hannibal NY
Parrots
6 cockatiels
1 greater gardine
1 blue crown conure
1 quaker and
1 african grey congo
Where are you located? In this situation if you can not care for it I would find a rescue or someone with experience with birds as the most important factor in this whole thing is the safety of the bird. I have rescued many birds not knowing his background you would not know his issues he may have. wish you luck with him.

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
Actually your description sounds more like a young or female Alexandrine (adult males have black and red rings around their necks). But the long tail, red/orange beak, red shoulder-patches, black wing-tips and slender, green bird add up to an Alexandrine.

alexandrines are relatively hardy by parrot standards, and should stand 55 degres fine if healthy. An unhealthy bird will always want more warmth. Don't put the bird too close to stove, remember, if it gets too hot it's in a cage and can't just simply move away like you or I could. Alexandrines don't tend to be very picky eaters and will usually try anything once. If there was any bird food left behind, obviously try that first. Otherwise Wildheart has made good suggestions. If you are unwilling or unable to care for the bird, as NurseTina suggests finding a bird rescue or a local bird expert is important.

where are you located?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I agree with Jawz, it sounds like an Alexandrine. Both Jawz and I have Alex's as our avatar pictures if you want to compare them.

My Alexandrine is a wonderful little bird - very independent and sweet. He's not at all a picky eater. We feed him pellets, sprouts, fruits and veggies. He's also relatively quiet - very little screeching and squawking.

If you decide to rehome the little thing, definitely look into a rescue. But, I doubt that you'd regret keeping her.

OP
F

forthebirds2011

Jan 5, 2011
She went into a womens rescue center, her boyfreind who was never on the lease went to jail I believe. I get to clean up the mess. how do I post a pic?

It had a sheet over it. The parrot was eating it and the couch when I got into the apartment.

Is that non stick thing for real? I have the parrot at my house now because the heat is off in the aptment, so until I can figure out what to do with it its here. All our nonstick pans are over 7 years old, and used thousands of times, and we have nothing else to cook on.

When do I cover / un cover the cage?

What can I feed this thing, like right now? It probably hasnt eaten in at least 10 days.

OP
F

forthebirds2011

Jan 5, 2011
forthebirds2011-albums-abandoned-parrot-picture1397-parrot-internet-pic.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
F

forthebirds2011

Jan 5, 2011
Are any of these picture links working? they are not showing up on my screee on this thread.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
They're not showing up for me.
You can cut fresh veggies right now, and maybe some warm oatmeal. Pellets would be a purchase I would make today, after you figure out what type of bird he is. Place his cage against a wall(he'll feel more secure Uncover him...leave him uncovered until 7PM tonight, and then give him a quiet place to sleep. Teflon is bad, but if you must, make sure not to heat an empty pan, and that it does not overheat. Teflon is bad for humans too.:)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
In what area are you, can you locate a rescue and ask them to pick the bird up?

He cant go without food and water and needs it especially early morning and at around 5 in the evening. I have no idea what type he is, can you post a photo? You can pick up food at a pets hop, pellets are the best. Also give him fruit cut into blocks and some grated veggies like carrots, butternut etc. You can leave the pellets in the cage through out the day.

Yes non stick pans are deadly, as well as any other chemicals that you might be using in your house that includes fresheners.

Yes the photo is working and its an Alexandrine.

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
yes, the non-stick thing is 100% for real. Never heat an empty pan, cook at the lowest temperatures you can manage. If you must cook on teflon non-stick consider taking precautions to keep the fumes away from the bird. Put the bird in a far room, lose the door, and set up an airflow situation with a fan, where the bird is UPWIND of the cooking. Eg: put a fan in the kitchen window, blowing OUT, then crack a window in the room where the bird is so it gets fresh air. Worry abot the cold less than the fumes..

as far as feeding it, wild bird seed will do in a pinch if you have any, it can also eat just about any fruits or vegetables you have, except no onion and no avacado. Cooked Sweet potato, brocoli, kale, carrots, squash, cooked beans, cooked rice, cooked pasta (a tiny amount of butter on the rice or pasta makes a great treat), bread (prefferably whole-grain), any fruit you have (go easy on the sweet stuff) are all potential bird food. A little bit of cooked egg or cooked plain chicken may be appreciated too, but only a small portion. Oat meal, or cream of wheat is also a good bet. Never feed a bird steaming hot food, it may cause crop burns. Warm is appreciated, about 100 degrees or less, but hot food is dangerous.

remember, things like iceburg lettuce are mostly water and should not constitute a full meal. Also, celery should be cut into small peices to avoid problems with the fibers. Birds tend to like celery, but again it's mostly just water and fiber.

that's a start!

and yes, definitely and alexandrine.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Go to the technical forum and you will find detailed instrutions for putting photos on this site. Since you have never cared for a bird and if you are not ready for a 100% committment I agree with what others have said to place the bird with someone that does. Yes any teflon heated could kill the bird in seconds. Bird needs fresh foods and vegies every day. Grains, cooked pasta, oatmeal, nuts but no peanuts. Parrots will not be healthy with a seed diet so hold off on that. There should be toys to keep the bird occupied in the cage. 55 degrees is way too cold for a parrot. Best at 70 degrees. Please give the bird fresh water to drink and a bowl of water to bath in every day. If you tell us where you live we could help you find a place to surrender the bird. thanks for caring.

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Poor little bird. It is a very pretty Alexandrine. If you can offer a good quality seed mix and offer fresh fruits and veggies it would be great. Pellet diets are great but she may not be use to them.
Where are you located? Have you decided if you will keep her?
Her back is a bit hunched and wings are droopy. It may be due to lack of food or being cold. I hope she is OK.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Yep, it's a sweet little Alex. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Please let us help in any way we can.

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
If you can't buy nonstick pans until you can rehome it make sure to crack the windows open to air out the fumes and try to cook in the oven with glass pans etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts