Help Please? Landlord's Ultimatum...

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
My apartment complex is being remodeled.

Which means there are folks coming in and out at all hours of the day and I have been forced by the landlord at least for the next few months, to move my birds into one small area of the house and into smaller cages.

I'm hoping beyond hope that this won't hurt them all that much, and I've told the workers they are NOT allowed to come near my birds.

We have them redoing the entire plumbing system.. which should be interesting that's for sure.

I refused to move them from the main room of the house which is far enough away from the bathrooms that I'm not as worried about things.. so long as they leave the bathroom and bedroom doors shut.

At the moment they are working on the bedroom bathroom and we are living in the guest room.

But the size accomadations.. I've canceled the order for my new cage and just ordered Porter a new one exactly like the one he had.

For now... I hope they will be alright with constant stimulation and out time, but I am concerned.. what should I do about the workers?

I'm always here, so I can keep an eye on them... meh.

I did everything I could to keep my babies comfortable at least.

He can't make me get rid of them as they are in the lease agreement at least. Meh
jugoya-albums-setup-porter-bein-ham-picture10604-not-happy-i-don-t-know-what-else-do-though-ultimatum-my-landlord-has-given-me-next-few-months.jpg

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
Why is he forcing you to put them in smaller cages?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I had my whole house remodeled a few years back, and had to move the birds from room to room as things got done. They adjusted almost immediately. Your landlord cannot dictate which cages your birds are in. I would say leave them in their cages and keep them away from the work. Just let them hang out in whichever room they are housed in :)

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Because having the three cages I have been using is taking up too much room for his boys to get in and out of the house.

As he put it *Get them OUT of the way*

I live in a rather small apartment, Before this I had the budgies in two connecting cages , and Porter in an 18x18x30 long on his own table.

They were in the guest bedroom, but the problem with that is the Guest bedroom is close to the wor being done, aka close to chemicals and other such. On the far end of the apartment I'm not as worried but that means they have to be in the walkway.

I don't have any storage options or anyone nearby who can watch them for me.

I've tried my local vet and she's booked up.

Taking them to Austin is expensive... and I'm afraid of disease at a sanctuary x.x

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
I think I'm gonna get rid of some stuff.

Make more room on the wall, more space for the little idiots.

Right now I have every single smaller travel cage in use trying to give them more room.

Gah.

I'm afraid he's trying to come up with a reason to make me have to get rid of them which is why I moved them with no fuss. When the lease is resigned he can take away our permission to have them. He's recently made the apartment pet free.

x.x

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Good idea! Much easier to store or get rid of "stuff" and make room for the munchkins than the other way around. As long as they're out of the way you're fine. And I'm sure the workers aren't going to go complaining about the killer attack budgies :D I think you'll find even the work men will go out of their way to make sure you guys are comfortable. Just keep them (the men) fed and watered lol

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Its only six weeks... he's here at least once a day while remodeling is done.

When he's gone.. I can put them back, and he won't be around anymore. And if I appease him.. I keep the birds. When he's gone, cage doors will be open and already the workers LOVE Porter.. that at least is something, though I'm watching them like a hawk right now.

I don't want paint.. or something else fed to my baby x.x

The tree is going tomorrow.. lols. So I can set up Porter's cage there, and all will be good.

Last edited:
OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Feeding and watering...
Consists of Beer beer and more beer.

My husband is a brewer.. that makes for good and easy bribery.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Feeding and watering...
Consists of Beer beer and more beer.

My husband is a brewer.. that makes for good and easy bribery.

Pizza & beer, and those men will go out of their way for you. I wouldn't worry about them doing any harm, they just want to finish, get paid and move on. :)
Six weeks is a cake walk, my remodeling took 5 months...all day every day.
Happy new year & good luck :)

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oy, that's a difficult one! Stupid landlord :(

But you've got the right idea - keep the ogre happy for the sake of your fids :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope everything goes smoothly for ya....that sounds quite stressful to me dealing with all that madness. I'm just glad I'm not in a apartment situation.

Most Reactions