Help please!

SeXyPeRsIaNBuNnY

Aug 16, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiel, Green cheek Conure, Albino ringneck dove
Hello Everyone,
I desperately need help! My Nenday conrue is very loud and makes a lot of noise. He is in an big outside cage with my green cheek however I have been getting some complaints. If I don't figure out how to get him to be quite Im gonna have no choice but to give him away and I really don't wanna do that. He is one year old.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Unfortunately there is really no way to keep him 'quiet'. He may need to come inside to be housed if the neighbors are really that upset about it. Some birds just enjoy making more noise than others, hes also still pretty young. In the wild he would need to be making noise all the time to keep in touch with flock members.

You can try various toys - rotating them and maybe some foraging toys to keep him busy.

Bird Toys Foraging/Interactive

Nature's Instinct Foraging Toys

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
He's a bird. And he's a Conure. While Conure's aren't as loud as a Cockatoo, they are still loud birds. Period. The only true apartment bird, IMO, is a Cockatiel or a Budgie. The rest are going to make noise, it's just what they do and some make more noise than others. Is he outside all the time? Is he incessant with the noise he makes (meaning, does it continue on for a significant length of time)? How long have you had him?

OP
S

SeXyPeRsIaNBuNnY

Aug 16, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiel, Green cheek Conure, Albino ringneck dove
I tried explain this to my neighbors cuz their dogs are barking all the time. He is outside during the day and at night he is in side. Ive had him for about 3 months now. He squaks for about 10 min then is stops and when he sees people its the same

Last edited:

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
If you are a member of your Nenday's flock and it is primarily outside, it's possible that it may be calling to you but never hearing the response call it expects because you are indoors. You cannot equate the noise birds make to that of a dog. People are just used to hearing dogs bark but no hearing birds scream so that argument will not work. Sorry!

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I would still go with the 'your dogs annoy me and I deal with the barking, you can deal with the bird noise.' Do you own your house/rent/condo/apartment? What I'm getting at is, does it really matter if they complain? Will you really be FORCED to get rid of him? Its not like its 24/7 noise, he comes in at night. Where I live there are kids running around everywhere screaming, dogs barking constantly, and loud music in english (and some in spanish) - I dare someone to complain about my bird. Wild birds make noise, your neighbors can get used to it and deal.

One thing you could try is to get some CDs that have whistles and songs that are easy for birds to learn. Play that all day everyday and maybe he will pick up songs and whistles that are more pleasing to hear, instead of just regular noise.

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
you can't really get a bird to be "quiet" like everyone said. he could indeed be loud
because he's calling you and wants you there. hope you get this sorted out.

Tarkus

Feb 27, 2012
Ponte Vedra Bch fl/Mantoloking NJ
Parrots
Catalina Macaw. I also have a rotation of birds I rehome
I tried explain this to my neighbors cuz their dogs are barking all the time. He is outside during the day and at night he is in side. Ive had him for about 3 months now. He squaks for about 10 min then is stops and when he sees people its the same

First the birds going to make noise no way around it.

As far as the dog barking. In the eyes of the law the bird is no different than a barking dog. Most municipalities have an ordinance covering noise complaints. Check the law and if your birds in compliance then you're ok.

Your neighbors won't like it but that's life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts