HELP! Poco flew into window

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
An awful accident, glad Poco seems to be improving. Hopefully he is just traumatized, sore, and will recover to normal. I also agree with indulging in mutual clinginess next few days!

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
UPDATE: Poco is doing well this morning. The swelling and discoloration around his eye looks better then last night.

He is eating and seems more alert than last night. About to call his vet.

In a few days, assuming all is well, his wings are getting clipped. We have done partial clips after he mastered flying, but haven't since last summer. About 1/2 of his flight feathers are still trimmed, but he can still go so fast. My goal is that he can fly, but not so darn fast when he gets startled.

Poco and Prim were in the windows right in front of me while I was doing dishes. A hawk flew by, sending them both into a terror induced flee instinct. That is how the accident occurred.

Thank you all for your well wishes and medical advice. This group is great. Not many people understand the bond that develops between parrot and human. I was literally shaking when I thought I was going to lose him.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Prior to a clipping, consider some flight training.

The Real Estate Agent's Tour and teaching safe flight paths.

When a Parrot is frightened or disturbed, they fly! That first couple of seconds is near always just GO! By providing pre-taught safe flight paths, your Parrot will switch over to those pre-taught paths!

Starting from his cage, perch, other areas in which he common sits have him step-up and walk a safe flight path out to a safe landing spot and have him step off. Let him set there for a couple of minutes and ask for a step-up and return to your starting point. The goal is to define several safe flight paths out and back from different places in which your Parrot commonly is during the day.

Once your Parrot has learned those paths and you see that in his none assisted flights, its time to teach 'hard surfaces' The goal is to teach your Parrot what 'things' out there are hard and to avoid them. Have your Parrot Step-up and start down a safe flight that vary off the path into a window and 'kind of crash' into it. take a step back and tap on the glass and state 'hard.' place his beak to the glass and state 'hard.' Do this multiple times until you see your parrot lean back and/or look at you like your crazy! Do this with windows, mirrors, pictures, doors, and walls in general. Also include safe flight paths to show the difference.

By including the above, you will begin to see that even when scared, your Parrot will quickly shift to a safe flight path.

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
Prior to a clipping, consider some flight training.

The Real Estate Agent's Tour and teaching safe flight paths.

When a Parrot is frightened or disturbed, they fly! That first couple of seconds is near always just GO! By providing pre-taught safe flight paths, your Parrot will switch over to those pre-taught paths!

Starting from his cage, perch, other areas in which he common sits have him step-up and walk a safe flight path out to a safe landing spot and have him step off. Let him set there for a couple of minutes and ask for a step-up and return to your starting point. The goal is to define several safe flight paths out and back from different places in which your Parrot commonly is during the day.

Once your Parrot has learned those paths and you see that in his none assisted flights, its time to teach 'hard surfaces' The goal is to teach your Parrot what 'things' out there are hard and to avoid them. Have your Parrot Step-up and start down a safe flight that vary off the path into a window and 'kind of crash' into it. take a step back and tap on the glass and state 'hard.' place his beak to the glass and state 'hard.' Do this multiple times until you see your parrot lean back and/or look at you like your crazy! Do this with windows, mirrors, pictures, doors, and walls in general. Also include safe flight paths to show the difference.

By including the above, you will begin to see that even when scared, your Parrot will quickly shift to a safe flight path.
That is great advice. I have done some of this by trying to teach hard objects that are transparent, but not nearly that regimented. I will work on this, thank you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A parrot that has learned to fly well, has been toured around the house, knock on walls and windows while giving the tour. Repeat a few times. Then even a startled parrot doesn't fly into things. They think on the wing, and process information faster than we do. All my parrots except my pet store wing clipped, even the budgies, don't crash into anything even when startled. Full flight proficiency flyers startled less, as they know they can fly to escape. Bird that can fly some while clipped are not precision flyers, as the clipped feathers prevent controlling maneuverability

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
As a backup measure... you might consider leaving your windows dirty. ;)

I have actually done this currently. Along with window sheers & lace curtains, to let light thru, I'd like to find semi-transparent stickers to put on the windows, to leave full-vision but clarify can't fly-thru, for when windows fully un-covered. Have Not yet found stickers I Like. So instead, I've intentionally sprayed windows & mirrors with water droplets & let dry. Definitely im-perfect solution! (However my zooming Budgies generally refuse to be handled, so window-training won't work for them.)

In the past, my Jefferson-budgie scalped himself on the ceiling when startled. (The room was dark; he is normally an excellent flyer.) He could not have done a head-on crash like yours, so definitely far less impact, & main concern was blood loss, but that was minimal. However, he acted Very Subdued for probably more than a week afterwards.

So, for yours - obviously much more concern. But Poco's subdued behavior is good, hopefully healing behavior.

I am praying a good recover for your Poco. I hope the vet visit goes well and gives you good news!

Last edited:
OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
His eye looks much better now. His behavior is seemingly more normal. I am at work, but Anna works from home and just sent this picture. He stays in his downstairs cage (next to Prim) when I am not home.

I know he is not "out of the woods" yet, but the rapid recovery is truly encouraging. Your good thoughts have helped us!
f164a605201e78957ca7c5b9844ee800.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
He's looking really good. I wish him the fastest recovery <3

Last edited:
OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
He's looking really good. I wish him the fastest recovery <3
Thank you!

I couldn't get him a vet appt. before Thursday morning. It will be the first visit to a new Avion vet in my area. Found out my current vet is leaving the field and is no longer seeing animals. I hope the new vet is great.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think he will recover fine, looking good. But keep restrictions on activities.

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
I think he will recover fine, looking good. But keep restrictions on activities.
Hi Laura,

I will keep him quiet and on me or in his cage. Thank you again.

He is acting like himself again. His eye looks almost 100% better too.

I think he will be fine, of course, I REALLY hope he will be too. Interested to see what the vet will say.

Mike

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So good to see Poco improving, Mike, and wishing you all the best for the visit to the new vet! Are they able to put you on a waitlist in case any earlier appointments become available?

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
Poco's eye is starting to get a blue green color to it. I assume it is like a black eye on a person that will have lots of colors during healing. It is still sunken in a bit, which does concern me. He seems able to see out of it.

I will call the new vet this morning to see if I can get added to the cancellation list. I will ask about their covid protocols. I really hope I can go in with him. I don't really trust a new vet that I never even spoke to.
4ee1f61b4c1cca12853955fa003e7380.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Poco's eye is starting to get a blue green color to it. I assume it is like a black eye on a person that will have lots of colors during healing. It is still sunken in a bit, which does concern me. He seems able to see out of it.

I will call the new vet this morning to see if I can get added to the cancellation list. I will ask about their covid protocols. I really hope I can go in with him. I don't really trust a new vet that I never even spoke to.

I would imagine parrot's eyes heal quickly as with humans. Potentially coloration is absorption of trace amounts of blood?

Most but not all vet practices strictly adhere to Covid practices, generally limited to drop-offs and phone/Facetime interactions. You can always ask for waiver! Hope the visit goes well.

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018

I would imagine parrot's eyes heal quickly as with humans. Potentially coloration is absorption of trace amounts of blood?

Most but not all vet practices strictly adhere to Covid practices, generally limited to drop-offs and phone/Facetime interactions. You can always ask for waiver! Hope the visit goes well.
Hi Scott,

Called the vet today. Happily for me, Thursday is the 1st day they are allowing people to go in, so I will get to be with him and meet the new vet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Excellent Mike, timing is everything! Hope the visit goes well and the new vet inspires confidence.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congratulations on getting into the new Avian Medical Professional.
As said above, very likely the results of the blood that is likely causing the swelling.

An X-ray is likely and they may choose induce sleep to limit movement during the procedure.

Covid protocols are a changing process where we are, and every visit is a new experience in Michigan.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hope things go smoothly with the new veterinarian. Trust you instincts.
Try and stay calm because your bird will be reading you. Keep us updated.

Keep track and log his weights.

Look forward to more happy adventures after this!

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone for their support and great advice.

Poco's vet visit went really well. No damage to his eye, cornea and iris look good. She said he is a perfectly healthy little bird. His eye is looking better everyday. It is dilated in the picture from the flash.

The new vet was great with him. He was a gentleman and didn't even bite her when she handled him.

So glad to have an avian net a few miles from home now.

Thank you all so very much.
a0cadd5e566cd000e37914d476074e96.jpg

Most Reactions