HELP! Poco flew into window

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Love a great postscript to harrowing flight into window! Glad Poco is in great shape and continues to heal.

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post an update on Poco. I had thought that we dodged a bullet after his accident. I felt good after the vet visit and recovery.

Unfortunately, there seems to be permanent damage. It seems like it is getting a bit worse as time goes by. I am very worried for him and I am becoming afraid I might lose him. I hope I am wrong.

Since the accident, he is very hesitant to fly. He will only take very short flights (a few feet) unless startled, then he can fly around the house. I did not clip his wings, and after this last molt, he has all of his flight feathers.

His grip strength is noticeable less now. He does not grip my finger like he did before. Quick movement causes him to lose his grip on my finger.

Recently, he had started falling from his perch at night time. This happened 3 times this week. It breaks my heart. Hearing him hit the bottom of his cage is awful. No injuries from this, yet. I take him right out and check on him, but this is while I'm there, I don't know if it happens more while I'm asleep. I put a cuddle hut in his cage with a perch in front of it. This was so he has a place to sleep that would keep him from falling. He had one when he was younger, but I removed it after reading on this forum. He used to love it.

I am so very worried for my baby. I don't have anyone to talk to this about that understands the love and concern I have for him. I posted this here, not so much looking for advice, but just to put my fear into words. Thank you for letting me share.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry to read about this, Mike. Certainly Poco could not possibly have a more dedicated and loving parront than you, but I'm very sorry you are going through this - surely there is no worse feeling in the world. Sending many feathered hugs to you both and every good wish for Poco's eventual full recovery and no further deterioration. It certainly does impact us very deeply if they are not well, Mike, and you have my every sympathy.

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
I'm so sorry to read about this, Mike. Certainly Poco could not possibly have a more dedicated and loving parront than you, but I'm very sorry you are going through this - surely there is no worse feeling in the world. Sending many feathered hugs to you both and every good wish for Poco's eventual full recovery and no further deterioration. It certainly does impact us very deeply if they are not well, Mike, and you have my every sympathy.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope I am wrong and that he will be ok.

You are one of a few people here that make this an amazing forum. The help and support you offer are not taken lightly. Thank you!

I do not mean there are a few good people here, you are all great. I mean a few are above and beyond.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Mike, thank you, you are far too kind. I know how sick with worry you must be about Poco, I wish I didn't but I do. I am guided in what I do here by having loved and lost a little GCC of my own, so I think it important to support others in their time of need. I don't know where I'd be today had it not been for the support and affinity that this community provided to me, and I've seen you reach out plenty of times to help others too, so thank you!

Please give precious Poco all the extra treats, spoiling and head skritches that he can handle from me, won't you. My thoughts are very much with the two of you. :smile015:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Mike, truly distressing to know Poco is not doing well. Was the window impact out of the ordinary - in other words might there be an underlying illness leading to impact and initially masked by recovery? The last thing you wish is for Poco to endure all manner of investigatory testing, then again the vet may feel his condition is directly result of crash. Does he have fairly recent lab test results?

Perhaps it is wise to reconsider reinstalling Poco's beloved hut. We often share generalized advice that is amenable per situation. A daily check for chewing (not all birds chew huts) may deem it perfectly safe. Alternatively, sea-grass huts are available with less hazard. You can weigh this against the danger of continual falling unless his condition improves.

You are always welcome to share, know we are a community of extraordinarily sensitive ears.

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
Mike, truly distressing to know Poco is not doing well. Was the window impact out of the ordinary - in other words might there be an underlying illness leading to impact and initially masked by recovery? The last thing you wish is for Poco to endure all manner of investigatory testing, then again the vet may feel his condition is directly result of crash. Does he have fairly recent lab test results?

Perhaps it is wise to reconsider reinstalling Poco's beloved hut. We often share generalized advice that is amenable per situation. A daily check for chewing (not all birds chew huts) may deem it perfectly safe. Alternatively, sea-grass huts are available with less hazard. You can weigh this against the danger of continual falling unless his condition improves.

You are always welcome to share, know we are a community of extraordinarily sensitive ears.
Hi Scott,

He seemed fine before the window impact. A hawk startled both birds as they sat in the window. The hawks sometimes hunt the birds at the feeders in front of our house. My 2 birds are terrified of them.

I didn't mention in my update that Poco developed stress bars since his accident.

I regularly check the cuddle hut for signs of chewing. So far so good. I have not heard him fall for a few days now, so hopefully it is helping.

I wonder if I should take him back to his CAV for blood work in case it is something else causing his issues. It just seems like a less than full recovery from his accident.

Thank you for the reply, Scott. It means a lot to me.

Mike

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
A less than full recovery seems likely. Balance and falling issues. In humans of course it’s been well studied that there can be long lasting sequelae from head injuries. There’s no reason to think that would not also be true in birds. Even though it’s less easy to study concussions in birds as in football players and military veterans.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
So good to know Poco is sleeping more comfortably, Mike. That alone must be of assistance in recovery, as well as being an enormous relief for you that he is not falling in the night.

I've had issues with my lorikeet Lilly who had been VERY difficult at bedtime for a few weeks. Well let's face it she is difficult pretty much ALL of the time but this was particularly worrying for me. She had previously been sleeping on top of a little wicker toy that she had chosen as her roosting spot, but for some reason known only to herself she suddenly decided she was going to hang upside down by her toenails from the bars on the other side of her cage all night long. I cannot imagine this was very conducive to restful sleep for her! I tried installing a platform type perch but she hated it and wouldn't go near it. What has worked for her is a little seagrass hut like this one......

green-parrot-bird-toy-hanging-hideout.jpg

Now, my Lilly is THE most manic, hormonally charged little chronic egg layer that you ever did see but she does not view this style as a nesting spot (monitoring for any change in this viewpoint daily however!), and there are no worries about her chewing on it which she really doesn't do anyway. She actually sleeps on top of it rather than inside it but that is a vast improvement on hanging by her toenails for hours on end. My budgie Val also has a larger trapeze style seagrass hammock that he occasionally likes to nap in during the day....

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture22350-basketcase.jpg

Maybe something like this might work for Poco?

OP
M

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
That looks like a great alternative. I will try to find one online today and buy it. Thank you.

Most Reactions