Help....posted in Behavioral but only got one response

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Yeah...fair enough!
my main reason for mentioning the playstand at the moment, is because it was a way to get him away from the cage and change the circumstance, which hopefully would then change the behaviour/response. Of course, you'd need to get him onto the play stand.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
You are going to need to stop approaching the cage while he screams. It's hard but yes you are reinforcing it.

A multi-angle approach is usually best with any sort of behavioral issue of course, so please don't just pick one of the suggestions, but incorporate them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Carl_the_Alexandrine
Oct 24, 2016
Thank you guys so much! I will grab him a playstand asap as well as get a gram smear etc. Like I said, rehoming him is not an option, I love him too much haha.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It's always an adventure with these guys :) best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Carl_the_Alexandrine
Oct 24, 2016
Just wanted to give a quick update.
So far we have been ignoring Carl's calls when we are in the same room and responding with praise etc when he does a small whistle or says "what are you doing?". Its been hard, but I swear his screech sessions are getting shorter and shorter.

Yesterday while I was home with a sick 2 year old I also rearranged his toys and hes finally decided hes going to play with 2 foraging/shredding toys he's previously had no interest in.

Ive removed fruits and grains from this weeks salad mix...he doesn't seem too impressed but is still eating it...he can't refuse chillis!

Ive decided to make a playgym rather than buy one....those are crazy expensive for how limited they seem to be. Should I also build him a separate "training" perch?

Any good books or links towards teaching tricks?

Again thank you so much for what you guys have suggested. Progress!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Yesss! Brilliant! Exciting update - thanks for sharing :)
What did you have in mind for your DIY playstand? Crazy prices aye...I'm guessing the ones here are similar.
A seperate perch could be useful in helping Carl know that it is focused training time. I just use the back of a chair or the tabletop itself - but I don't have to contend with such big beaks :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Trick training is a good way to strengthen your bond. Pick an area where he can move around - I use our coffee table. Start with something simple like turning in circles. Use his very most favorite treat, and that is ONLY used for training. Pick a set time 15-20 minutes at most, but do it EVERY night, without fail. Use voice and hand signals. Be consistent in both, so he does not get confused. The first trick is the hardest one, it's where he will learn that its fun and rewarding to learn. Check out some of Salty's videos on youtube, search on salty parrot trick., to see what I mean about commands and what's possible. Let me know if you need more tips. Its good to read that Carl is coming round with his screaming. Again, be consistent. Parrots love consistency and set routines - Salty's training time is 8:45 to 9:05 and he lets me know if I am late!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh and PVC piping is the easy, cheap way to go about making a playstand. Google PVC parrot playstand you will get dozens and dozens of ideas. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts