Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi HungDou, I am in HK a couple of times a year, and always go to the bird street meetings on Sundays, I am sure you know about those. Iff you could enclose your outside deck that would be a great 'cage for your macaw. I see many many apartment decks with full bars on them in HK ( due to people climbing up and robbing) so that should not be an issue. If you get him a play stand for inside, do not leave him alone on it, macaws can be very destructive in chewing up everything and may chew on an electrical wire or outlet. DO put him an inside playstand as soon as you get home. You could make a cool one out of PVC plastic piping, vet tape, and wood branches, for little money. With more toys ( the chewing kind) your macaws beak will start to look better over time. But it will be hard to put enough toys in his small cage to keep him busy all day. Try to figure out the kind he likes and get several variations of that, so you can change them out often - it will help keep off the boredom. If he wont play with any toys, play with them yourself and let him see how much fun they are. You may feel silly but parrots do look to us to see what is fun and what to eat. At 1yr old I would think his beak and crop are developed enough to handle cracking open nuts. Not too many though! Let your Avian Vet tell you if his beak will take the stress in his current condition. Leaving the TV or radio on is a good idea - parrots can actually see digital flat screen TVs , unlike dogs an cats.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
You asked if anyone knows a "cure" to get him to stop wiping his beak...

You need to start thinking of his beak-wiping in the same way they pluck their feathers...It's exactly the same thing, your Macaw is a very young baby at a year old, and he is bored to death, and he is most-likely going to start plucking as well, very soon, if you don't forget all of that horrible advice that this pet shop or whomever gave you, and start a totally new way of thinking about this poor bird...He has the intelligence of a 4-5 year old human toddler, and he's very sad, very bored, very uncomfortable, and went from at least having other birds around him to being in a tiny little coffin-sized cage on a balcony, with only 1 toy to play with, no room to really play with it anyway, and no human interaction at all, no bird interaction...This is what is wrong with his beak my friend, I hope you start to understand this.

The only "cure" is going to be getting him out of that cage for at least half the day, getting him a much larger cage, as he can't even open his wings up, and please, in addition to you yourself starting to interact with him on a regular, daily basis, playing with him, talking to him, petting and holding him, taking him places with you (get an Aviator Harness and start training him on that), you need to make an enriching environment for him in a much larger cage when you're not home...1 toy is not even close to what he needs, most people with small Budgies have between 10-20 toys/ladders, things to chew-on, things to rip apart, things to forage in, etc. You have a Macaw. If you don't get him a huge array of toys, things to chew on, foraging activities, climbing activities, etc. ASAP, he's going to start plucking, and eventually going to end-up having huge behavioral issues, screaming, etc.

I'm so sorry that those people gave you the horrible advice that they did, because you essentially bought yourself a 4 year-old child, brought it home, and have ignored it and locked it in a coffin due to that bad advice...Not your fault, but now it's time to change it up, immediately, or else you're going to have much larger issues very soon...and a very sick and badly-behaved bird. Again, you need to start thinking of his beak-wiping as a result of his current environment, level of attention he's getting, and the enrichment he's getting, not only from you, but from a total lack of activities and toys for that beak of his to have fun with...

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Hi there - welcome to the forum and thanks for asking questions.

The beak peels and grows like a finger nail. Your bird is just rubbing it a lot.

You have been given a lot of information and ideas. You should probably write them down and then do what is best for your macaw and what you are able to do.

You have invested a lot of money in your baby. That amount of money doesn't come easily.

Research more about the nuts but you should be able to at least give your baby some pine nuts and some of the softer shelled nuts. (Macadamia nuts - probably never. The big big guys crack those.) Maybe not a brazil nut for a while - until the beak grows out - but then your baby should be able to handle those hard nuts as well.

First thing I noticed was the size of your cage and lack of toys BUT you have invested in a water bottle that I still dream of owning. I just haven't bought four of them yet. I have four macaws. I try to spoil them with toys and love. I thought they had large cages until I saw one of the cages suggested on here. :D They all have larger cages than what they used to have.

Toys - with four macaws - I have a lot of toys. Some of them play with them and some don't. One just rips through a toy in about four days. We are working on finding him one that he can play with instead of destroy. Finding the kind of toy/s your macaw likes can take some time. All cages except one have 5-7 toys in them. They all have bells to ring as well. Three out of the four like to ring a bell.

Please stay connected with us. We are here to help you and your parrot as best we can. We can make suggestions. It is up to you to figure out what works best for you.

Congratulations on your macaw.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Welcome to the forums...I'm glad you came to ask questions, but I'm sorry the pet shop gave you such bad advice about your macaw. I have a macaw, and I can only repeat what others have said - that's not a big enough cage for a bird that size. They must be able to at least stretch their wings easily. I've spent a lot of time in HK and Kowloon, and I know how small the living spaces can be.

Imagine that you have to wear a suit all day, that has the arms connected to the jacket by short cords, so that you can only raise your arms a tiny bit. Imagine your foot is chained to a spot on the floor. Now imagine how you will feel after just an hour of this. Your arms will begin to ache because you can't stretch them, and you will start to get cramps. You will walk back and forth as far as your chain allows, but eventually you will get bored. You will start biting your fingernails, or yelling for help, or banging your head against the floor, because you have to do SOMETHING and there is nothing you can do. You would hate this, and you would begin to hate the person who put you there. Even if that person lets you out of the suit for a few hours every day and explains that this is the only suit they could afford.

That's how it is for your macaw right now. These parrots can be as intelligent as a small child, they just can't talk to us to tell us how they feel. They are not domesticated animals like dogs or cats. They are still wild, and only tame when treated well and their needs met. If a parrot's needs aren't met in the wild, it will fly away to try to find a better place. If it can't fly away, it will begin to go insane. Once this happens it might be too late to fix things.

We have parrot rescue organizations here that take in unwanted parrots, and there are too many of them. People get a parrot because they saw one on the internet and the sales person lies about what is involved. Then when their sweet baby turns into a biting, screaming monster and pulls out all the feathers it can reach, they decide it's a problem bird and give it away. It's possible for some of these birds to be saved, but they may never stop pulling out their feathers once it is a habit, and they may never regain full health.

This is why people say to give the macaw lots of toys, so it has something to chew up and destroy and take out its energy on. So it has something to do, to distract it from the horror of being locked up. You can make your own toys very cheaply.

I'll answer some of the questions you ask ... about the macaw becoming needy if you play with it too much: this is not really true. Macaws are smart and want to be mentally active, so if they don't have toys or things to do they don't learn to entertain themselves. If you cuddle a bird for ten hours a day then suddenly stop, the bird will be upset. But if you don't touch it enough, it becomes lonely and anxious. Remember, this is a bird that lives in a large flock, with a mate, and you are the only flock and mate it has. It's a lot of responsibility.

The play stand is a good idea, but it's also true that they can't be left unsupervised. We leave our macaw alone a good part of the day, but it's because he has a damaged spine and doesn't climb well or fly, so he just sits on top of the cage and and stares, or chews up paper. They need to chew. They will chew furniture, iPhones, electric cords, the wall, the door frame, anything they can reach. It's part of their nature and you can't train them out of it.

If you don't mind, I will give you two suggestions. One, is that this perhaps isn't the right bird for you, and you might want to find another home for it, with someone who has the space for a large cage and the time to devote to it. Then you might get a smaller parrot, one that doesn't need such a large cage. There are so many choices - did you know an "ordinary" parakeet holds the world record for number of words it can say? Search for "Disco the parakeet" on YouTube to see how entertaining a small bird can be. But also conures, bourke's, and other smaller parrots will make better companions in a small space.

The second suggestion is to get a couple of books about parrots. One of my favorites is called "Parrots for Dummies" and it is a great introduction to parrots that touches on almost everything. "The Second Hand Parrot" is another good overview, and you will get a sense of how parrots get into trouble with unprepared humans. "The Companion Parrot Handbook" is very complete and great. All these are available used, you can find them online or in Kindle or eBook format.

Good luck, whatever you do, and I hope you will stay in touch and let us know how things are going.

OP
H
Jun 20, 2018
Hi there - welcome to the forum and thanks for asking questions.

The beak peels and grows like a finger nail. Your bird is just rubbing it a lot.

You have been given a lot of information and ideas. You should probably write them down and then do what is best for your macaw and what you are able to do.

You have invested a lot of money in your baby. That amount of money doesn't come easily.

Research more about the nuts but you should be able to at least give your baby some pine nuts and some of the softer shelled nuts. (Macadamia nuts - probably never. The big big guys crack those.) Maybe not a brazil nut for a while - until the beak grows out - but then your baby should be able to handle those hard nuts as well.

First thing I noticed was the size of your cage and lack of toys BUT you have invested in a water bottle that I still dream of owning. I just haven't bought four of them yet. I have four macaws. I try to spoil them with toys and love. I thought they had large cages until I saw one of the cages suggested on here. :D They all have larger cages than what they used to have.

Toys - with four macaws - I have a lot of toys. Some of them play with them and some don't. One just rips through a toy in about four days. We are working on finding him one that he can play with instead of destroy. Finding the kind of toy/s your macaw likes can take some time. All cages except one have 5-7 toys in them. They all have bells to ring as well. Three out of the four like to ring a bell.

Please stay connected with us. We are here to help you and your parrot as best we can. We can make suggestions. It is up to you to figure out what works best for you.

Congratulations on your macaw.
Thx a lot for your info!
Where do you usually get your nuts?
Read from an article that I should only feed them nuts after the baby macaw is eating seed on his own and crack the nuts for them and let the baby extract the meat. When they get older we can leave the shells for them to crack - fun and healthy!

Thought it may be useful to post some nutritions here:

- ALMONDS: Large macaws, 6 to 8 nuts; small, 3 to 4. High in protein, amino acids, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, thiamine, and riboflavin.
- BRAZIL NUTS: Large macaws, 4 to 6; small, 2. High in protein, amino acids, potassium, phosphorus, thiamine and calcium.
- FILBERTS or HAZELNUTS: Large macaws, 6 to 8; small, 2 or 3. High in amino acids, riboflavin, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, thiamine, and has Vitamin A.
- PEANUTS: Should be fed daily in macaw mix. High in protein, amino acids, potassium, thiamine, riboflavin, phosphorus, niacin and Vitamin E. (but I also read some articles saying peanuts are not a good choice as the shells are likely contaminated with fungi)
- PECANS: Large macaws, 3 to 4; small, 2. High in thiamine and potassium.
- PINE NUTS or PINYON NUTS: Large macaws, 8 to 10; small, 4 to 5. Use as a special treat only as they are very expensive. In the shell preferred. High in thiamine, riboflavin, phosphorus, and protein.
- WALNUTS: Large macaws, 2 to 3; small, 1. High in calcium, protein, amino acids, potassium, phosphorus and riboflavin.

Ref: [URL="https://journals.tdl.org/watchbird/index.php/watchbird/article/view/2100"]https://journals.tdl.org/watchbird/index.php/watchbird/article/view/2100[/URL]

OP
H
Jun 20, 2018
Thx Kentuckienne!!

I will improve his living environment first ~
He s still rubbing his beak a lot n constantly scratching his face (tho he looks comfortable when he does that)... i think getting him more toys n nuts may help but i will still bring him to the vet for a check up first

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
By the way - you should not give a parrot any peanuts in the shell. I would only feed human-grade peanuts because peanuts can often be contaminated with aspergillosis spores. Peanut butter is fine. Some pet stores sell a kind of ground-up stuff for the bottom of the cage, or wood shavings/sawdust, or ground walnut shells. The first two items are very commonly infected with aspergillosis, and the walnut shells if eaten can kill a bird.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I have not read through this entire thread. I want to make VERY clear to those who have posted this..

Rudy is half scarlet - half Greenwing. Rudy's beak peels continuously. His diet is wide and varied mostly tree nuts however he does eat tree branches, dirt, rocks, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, fingers...

He went to an Avian Vet one year after the above listed diet. He scored perfectly after a battery of blood drawn tests. He has a tremendously large cage. He is free flighted, gets outdoor time every day for upwards of 8 hours a day.

Guess what! His beak peels. This first pic was from a few months ago, the last one was when he was 4 months old. If I took a pic right now, it would appear different again. Point is, I believe the peeling is normal with an active parrot. Afterall, a beak is made of the same material as our fingernails.

discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19913-close-up-profile-4-28-18-brandywine-park.jpg
discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19726-rudy-posing-5-months-old.jpg

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I think it's been established that bird beaks peal, but it's not healthy to have it to this degree. Imagine if half your finger nail fell off and the skin was just exposed bellow, I imagine it would be similar to this.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I think it's been established that bird beaks peal, but it's not healthy to have it to this degree. Imagine if half your finger nail fell off and the skin was just exposed bellow, I imagine it would be similar to this.

sorry, I should have read the original post a bit closer.

I read the OP .. it seems to me that he wants his parrot to be more active. Another interesting comment of mine is that Rudy also sits at his bowl for hours, with little to no movement. Sure there are times when he dismantles his cage running around as if he is batman. The OP has an inactive adolescent?. IMO that is a god send. I have no idea of anything specific that causes the peeling with my bird.

I just examined Rudy's beak. Maybe I will post a current pic. it looks similar to the pics on this OP

Hungdou. I wouldn't worry about your bird. If I were in your shoes however, I would do more interaction with other humans and your bird. From a big picture standpoint, you will appreciate the subtle nuances a lot more as time goes on.

This is my opinion and only that.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I have not read through this entire thread.

Did you at least look at the baby-birds picture? ;)

This is more than 'normal wear and tear'.

Of course beaks peel a bit- it's part of wearing down and growing out.
But I think you will agree there has to be some balance between those.

You are lucky you can take your bird places (mine goes into a panic if I move more than 2 steps out of the door- she still needs to do a lot of adjusting) and your bird is bloody lucky to have you! :)

Lets see if we can add this one to the 'lucky parrot"-side of parrotkeeping - before this baby is turned into another carwreck (like mine).

I am keeping my fingers crossed an avian vet will be found soon by the owner and the testsresults will all be best we can hope for.
It is such a beauty!

OP
H
Jun 20, 2018

sorry, I should have read the original post a bit closer.

I read the OP .. it seems to me that he wants his parrot to be more active. Another interesting comment of mine is that Rudy also sits at his bowl for hours, with little to no movement. Sure there are times when he dismantles his cage running around as if he is batman. The OP has an inactive adolescent?. IMO that is a god send. I have no idea of anything specific that causes the peeling with my bird.

I just examined Rudy's beak. Maybe I will post a current pic. it looks similar to the pics on this OP

Hungdou. I wouldn't worry about your bird. If I were in your shoes however, I would do more interaction with other humans and your bird. From a big picture standpoint, you will appreciate the subtle nuances a lot more as time goes on.

This is my opinion and only that.

Thanks DiscoDuck!! I actually brought him to an avian vet last weekend and the vet said my bird is completely fine. His beak is just a result of rubbing and is normal... no med is needed and all i can do is wait for it to heal...
But this sounds even worse to me coz if he keeps rubbing then his beak will never be able to recover n eventually ... cracked?!

I v seen some articles saying putting some coconut oil (some suggest other types of oil) on his beak helps... I still need to read more or prob ask my vet this weekend (yes i am going again for a second check up)...
Anyone heard of this method?

In addition, I v been turning my TV on for him...
Through CCTV I can see he enjoys it... at least he moves... unlike when he was kept in his cage stood there like a statue...
However, he is still very quiet n doesnt make a noise...

It is very weird that he only makes a sound, say hello byebye, when he sees strangers...
To be clear it must be strangers... when those people come in the second day again he stops saying a word...
He doesnt play with any toys either... doesnt touch the wooden toys next to him... ignores me when I play with him... he s just abnormally calm to everything around him...
he also scratches his head a lot... avian vet said he s fine and has no skin problem...but it s kinda weird that he has his legs go BEHIND his wings to reach his head, is it normal for parrots?!

any comments?

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Hello,

Let me start with your first post. Remember this. WHat I suggest is what I would do or not do. THis is not to mean anything other than the following is my opinion of my suggestions.

I started here at this forum over 3 years ago. I tried many things I liked, the things I really liked, I tried them twice.

I found many of the suggestions as tedious and complicated. I also found many of them did not "flat out" work for me. With that said. What I did learn from a big picture stand point is that everything turned out to be much easier than all the stuff I read.

There is tons of info. THis one is kind of funny to me in that the pic from Getty Images is not a Scarlet

https://www.thesprucepets.com/popular-pet-macaw-species-390543

These birds are intelligent, but they need daily socialization and stimulation so that they stay tame. Scarlet Macaws get bored quite easily, so they should be provided with plenty of toys to play with, in addition to near-constant attention from their owners.

Hand-fed Scarlet Macaws can be very affectionate, but potential owners should keep in mind that like all macaws, they can be noisy. Don't plan on keeping one as a pet if you live in an apartment or small living space,

One size does not fit all. I get their point. I never did fit a mold. I had no experience with a Macaw and I can assure you that my Hybrid is off the chart! Check out my photo album..

Hybrid Macaws are unlike any other macaw species, bred strictly for color and pet quality. Because these birds are of mixed heritage, they possess the combined personality traits of the species that were crossed to produce them. Only an experienced owner with a thorough understanding of macaw behavior should consider a hybrid.

What I can do, is bold my comments to your points in your original post.

I got a 1year old scarlet macaw last month and it s been super quiet.
You have a baby who is not acclimated yet to the environment he is now. Scarlets can be notoriously noisy.

It knows how to say Hello, Byebye and make some weird noise back in the parrot shop and for once at my home when i was taking a shower...
However, for the rest of the time, it s been super quiet, no matter how hard I tried to make him talk...
Relax!!! You are into your first month!! Mine is 3 years old now. His vocabulary is well over 50 words and phrases and continues to grow. Repeat over and over. I have him singing now, however his enunciation needs a lot of work

The cage is located at the balcony with covers and good ventilation.
IMO, duplicate what they have in their native environment. These animals are only a couple of generations, (if at all) separated from the wild. You have an equator bird. Wrap (ie blanket) his cage for 12 hours every day. SO that he cant see the environment he is now. Noise does not affect my bird

I take him out to play with him inside home at least 1 hour everyday.
1 hour? LOL.. You will get back what you put into him. IMO Think of it this way.. For one meal daily,buy the food, cook the food, eat the food, clean up the mess, use the bathroom afterwards EVERY DAY!

Most of the time there is no one at home, so I v put a swing perch and a wooden toy in his cage to keep him entertained, but he seldom plays. ANd he likely won't. You know what he might do? Destroy anything he sees that you have, Rudys favorite toys are the things not sold at a store. Rocks, branches newspaper, liquor bottles, plays with his food.. etc etc

I set up a cctv and saw him standing on the 1 perch in front of the food bowl like a statue for most of the time... He could use more stimulation with you. MIne too sits at his bowl for 3 hours motionless after 6 hour walks

Is he unhappy or not comfortable with the environment? Not IMO. he is young. The more you interact with him, the more active he will be unless you wear him out as I am not sure if that opinion makes sense or is contrary

I saw many energetic and play macaw but mine seems very boring Ah yep he is bored. IMO 1 hour is a pathetic tiny amount of time. Remember you essentially have a small child. treat him as such using all positive interaction and enrichment. THey are extremely intelligent. Treat them as such, or he may turn out to be a big dummy

In addition, it always rubs his beak on the cage & perch, I think thats why its beak starts to peel. NO big deal. I forget the naysayers on here. Yeah your bird has some damage, however my birds beak peeling changes everyday. He is however very active in what I do with him..

This looks pretty bad to me and i am afraid it will get worse and eventually the beak will break...
Do i need to send it to the vet? NO! not in my opinion. There are tons of what I call bleeding hearts here. What you need to do is get 3 hours in every day at a minimum up until and after he goes through puberty. Feed him as much and close to what you can.. to match what they eat in the wild

Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Best of luck!!

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Thanks DiscoDuck!!

.but it s kinda weird that he has his legs go BEHIND his wings to reach his head, is it normal for parrots?!

any comments?

Here is your comment. very normal :red1::D

discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19842-glamour-shot.jpg

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Thanks DiscoDuck!!

.but it s kinda weird that he has his legs go BEHIND his wings to reach his head, is it normal for parrots?!

any comments?
Here is your comment. very normal :red1::D

discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19842-glamour-shot.jpg

and that is the leg *in front* of the wing.... very normal indeed!
(and not what OP asked)

great picture btw :)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
@ hungdou_scarletmacaw : will your bird let you touch its face?
It's a very fine skin there, but if it keeps scratching there might be irritation from too much sun, not enough moisture (in the air) or even bug(bite)s.

(mine loves to put skin on skin while getting scritches, so I have birdface on my hand or forarm, and the skintexture changes subtle but noticable, on some days it's softer, some days it wrinkles more/ dryer )

Is he/she taking regular showers?

Putting coconutoil on something already damaged is like glueing a fingernail with butter...

OP
H
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks ChristaNL!
he let me touches him~ n also enjoys me scratching him!
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-29 at 16.24.28.jpeg

He has regular showers and now he s staying indoor so I dont think it has something to do with excessive sunlight.
He just always does that scratching and puts his fingers into his beak...

OP
H
Jun 20, 2018
I got a 1year old scarlet macaw last month and it s been super quiet.
You have a baby who is not acclimated yet to the environment he is now. Scarlets can be notoriously noisy.

It knows how to say Hello, Byebye and make some weird noise back in the parrot shop and for once at my home when i was taking a shower...
However, for the rest of the time, it s been super quiet, no matter how hard I tried to make him talk...
Relax!!! You are into your first month!! Mine is 3 years old now. His vocabulary is well over 50 words and phrases and continues to grow. Repeat over and over. I have him singing now, however his enunciation needs a lot of work

The cage is located at the balcony with covers and good ventilation.
IMO, duplicate what they have in their native environment. These animals are only a couple of generations, (if at all) separated from the wild. You have an equator bird. Wrap (ie blanket) his cage for 12 hours every day. SO that he cant see the environment he is now. Noise does not affect my bird

I take him out to play with him inside home at least 1 hour everyday.
1 hour? LOL.. You will get back what you put into him. IMO Think of it this way.. For one meal daily,buy the food, cook the food, eat the food, clean up the mess, use the bathroom afterwards EVERY DAY!

Most of the time there is no one at home, so I v put a swing perch and a wooden toy in his cage to keep him entertained, but he seldom plays. ANd he likely won't. You know what he might do? Destroy anything he sees that you have, Rudys favorite toys are the things not sold at a store. Rocks, branches newspaper, liquor bottles, plays with his food.. etc etc

I set up a cctv and saw him standing on the 1 perch in front of the food bowl like a statue for most of the time... He could use more stimulation with you. MIne too sits at his bowl for 3 hours motionless after 6 hour walks

Is he unhappy or not comfortable with the environment? Not IMO. he is young. The more you interact with him, the more active he will be unless you wear him out as I am not sure if that opinion makes sense or is contrary

I saw many energetic and play macaw but mine seems very boring Ah yep he is bored. IMO 1 hour is a pathetic tiny amount of time. Remember you essentially have a small child. treat him as such using all positive interaction and enrichment. THey are extremely intelligent. Treat them as such, or he may turn out to be a big dummy

In addition, it always rubs his beak on the cage & perch, I think thats why its beak starts to peel. NO big deal. I forget the naysayers on here. Yeah your bird has some damage, however my birds beak peeling changes everyday. He is however very active in what I do with him..

This looks pretty bad to me and i am afraid it will get worse and eventually the beak will break...
Do i need to send it to the vet? NO! not in my opinion. There are tons of what I call bleeding hearts here. What you need to do is get 3 hours in every day at a minimum up until and after he goes through puberty. Feed him as much and close to what you can.. to match what they eat in the wild

Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Best of luck!!
Just because scarlets are known for being noisy, I find my bird abnormal coz he s just super quiet, even when I am playing with him…
He looks happy when TV is on because he keeps moving up and down very jumpy but still doesn’t make a sound, and has no interest in playing with any toys…

He s now staying indoor on a stand, not in the cage anymore because I am waiting for my new cage (bigger one) to come and don’t want him to squeeze inside the small space.
The 1 hour part is the worst case and I most of the days it s more than that, as long as I am home!
The fact is that I try to interact with him but apart from talking to him and touching him, he does play at all

I am trying the coconut oil method and see if this can help his beak but thanks for letting me know it s not a big problem~
Here also attached how my gymnast puts his leg BEHIND his wings lol does your bird does the same??

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-29 at 16.20.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-29 at 16.20.32.jpeg

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hi, that beak actually looks quite a lot better than in the first picture.

I would say you're right, you have a gymnast!

I'm so pleased you're taking him to the vet and letting him have more time out of his cage. I hope you can get him something bigger or carry on having him out of it for longer.

Good luck with it. I hope you and your bird have a very long and very happy life together.

Most Reactions

Latest posts