[Help!] Scarlet Macaw Peeling Beak~

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
IMO.. again.. You are a month in with your bird, who is a just a year old. These birds will change over time for many many reasons. You cant deny their intelligence..

While you are only one month in. TO ME.. something I just read on the Scarlet, the article sort of ties to the points of your original post.

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/species/scarlet-macaw/

Like all birds, the scarlet macaw will thrive in a large environment, and will suffer in a cage that’s inadequate for its size. This bird is known for self-mutilation when confined, and will not do well with an owner who doesn’t plan on allowing it sufficient out-of-cage time. Large swings and toys are a must, too, because the scarlet is an active bird that likes to play and chew. If not given the opportunity to chew, it will become quite unhappy and may turn the chewing onto its feathers.

Scarlet macaw live in small groups in the wild, and a lone scarlet macaw in a household can become lonely if not interacted with regularly. This is not a bird for someone who isn’t home a lot, or someone who doesn’t understand the intricacies and responsibilities of bird keeping. This is a sensitive, clever bird that can easily become bored and miserable, leading to excessive noise, plucking and biting.

This is related to talking..

Speech & Sounds
The scarlet macaw is not the most competent talker in the macaw family, but with those looks, it doesn’t have to talk. It will learn a few words and phrases, though it will do more screaming than talking.

Dont give up, dont be alarmed. Have fun with your bird! They will know when you are happy and in turn will become more happier them selves....

Signed,
The Eternal Optimist!

Most Reactions

Latest posts