HELP: Should I get a new cage if..

kelsey

Jul 5, 2008
Hello everyone, I just signed up specifically to ask this question but I really like this site upon further inspection..

Anyhow! I have two parakeets and two cages, although they get along fine and can stay together in one. One cage is pretty big, the other is pretty small, and the big one's paint on the top is course and when I scratch it with my fingernail the paint comes off. It doesn't peel, it comes off somewhat powdery, but I know that if budgies chew on the cage bars (and mine chew on everything) they can get metal poisoning depending on the type of metal, not to mention the paint they may ingest.

Should I get a new cage or do you guys think it shouldn't harm him?

Thank you!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
There is a good chance that it could be dangerous... of course there is also a fair chance that its harmless.

You could have the paint tested to find out exactly what's in it, but I'm quite sure that it would be cheaper and easier to buy a new cage (without flaking paint.)

I know that's not very helpful, but best err on the side of caution. Of course if you know the name of the company that made the cage, or the store that sold it you could contact them for information.... or alternately let us know the cage manufacturer and someone here is bound to have some info.

OP
K

kelsey

Jul 5, 2008
Thanks yeah I got it from a friend and I don't know where she got it, but I'll check if a logo is enscribed anywhere on the cage to see if I can figure out where it's from.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure

Most Reactions

Latest posts