Help with bird choice?

OP
M

matacalro

Nov 1, 2017
Atlanta
Parrots
No Parrots yet!
The only thing I took out was me asking if raising bird before weaning was better for bonding, everything else is the same. Still no excuse for going so harsh on me, don't try to defend that.

OP
M

matacalro

Nov 1, 2017
Atlanta
Parrots
No Parrots yet!
One change, took out the part of me saying I was considering raising a parrot before weaning. I even said "EDIT."

OP
M

matacalro

Nov 1, 2017
Atlanta
Parrots
No Parrots yet!
I read two types of posts today, and each one gave me the exact same information. First yours, which was harsh, as you admitted, then another, who was friendly and said the same things that actually taught me something. Sure, It's a matter of telling me what I needed to hear, but you know I was just curious and it really felt like I was being punished just for asking questions. I was called "ignorant" and you even said God forbid that I own a parrot. Seriously? It just felt a little too much.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Parrots go through so many phases during development. Hand-rearing a bird yourself does NOT mean a better bond.

I had parrots growing up, but that was with support of my dad. While I was involved in the care, the responsibility really fell on HIS shoulders, should problems arise.
The best thing I did was wait until I had stability in my career before getting a parrot. When the time came, I revolved part of my house buying process on something that would be conducive to parrot ownership.
Because I waited, I was able to get a species I truly wanted and provide him with the space he deserves.

I read two types of posts today, and each one gave me the exact same information. First yours, which was harsh, as you admitted, then another, who was friendly and said the same things that actually taught me something. Sure, It's a matter of telling me what I needed to hear, but you know I was just curious and it really felt like I was being punished just for asking questions. I was called "ignorant" and you even said God forbid that I own a parrot. Seriously? It just felt a little too much.

Perhaps you are referring to the wrong person.

Regardless, I will not continue to argue on the internet, but far more was edited than just the part where you wrote "Edit". You certainly did not have the statements regarding it "being down the road" or "not right away." You also certainly used hyacinths by name in the post. All the statements about getting a bird license online has been omitted. Normally, that would be insignificant, but please don't make respected members (ie: birdman, chris, tomang) words out of context.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay Birdman... I won't raise from chick. Years down the line I am going to get a bird, and I am considering African Grey. I am 95% sure I'm getting an African Grey in a few years.

Start learning how to train them now.

CAGS can be very neurotic. They are stubborn as hell. They are very independent. They can be pluckers. There is a LOT of teaching involved in getting a CAG. I've had mine since practically an egg...

You train a CAG the opposite of most birds. You don't set boundaries. They set boundaries with you. Your job is to expand those boundaries and get them to accept things they wouldn't normally except...

He is more well adjusted than most. I've done a lot of rescue work with plucked chicken birds... Don't let them fester in a neurotic state.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First of all, welcome to the forum, Matt. I'm glad that you are wanting to do research before adding a parrot to your life. You have come to a forum (retro or not) where the members are passionate about parrots...all parrots. You may hear things you didn't want to hear, but believe me, people are looking out for parrots first, and care deeply about what may happen to them.

I am in my 50's, and had birds when I was much younger as well. I can tell you from personal experience that the care and attention my birds get now is night and day from when I was raising a family and getting started in life. If I had known then what I know now, I would have waited until I was fully settled. I'm certainly not saying that you should wait until you're as old as I am! But I wish I had had someone to tell my younger self to wait just a bit before bringing that first parrot home.

I agree with all who mentioned volunteering at a rescue, that is where you will be able to gain much experience. This forum also has a wealth of information, and please take comments as they are meant...looking out for your future bird.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thank you KiwiBord! I am going to begin volunteering with a shelter very soon, I want to help out these parrots that have been abandoned. I honestly just want to help, and I want to have a companion of my own one day. I want to learn, just not from those that are obviously posting out of bad intent.

THAT WASN'T INSULTING, IT WAS A WARNING...

HYACINTH MACAWS HAVE THE HIGHEST CHICK MORTALITY RATE OF ANY OF THEM, AND IT'S CLOSE TO 50%... SO AN INEXPERIENCED HAND FEEDER SETS OFF ALARM BELLS IN THIS CROWD...

So, you pretty much started out with something that is a pet peeve for any of us who have held crop burn birds, and watched them die in our arms...

You asked a question. You didn't understand. We set you straight. THAT ISN'T AN INSULT. It's a wake up call...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
hello Matt, good to see you're researching and asking and importantly waiting a while, but I have a few things to add to this in as polite a way I can muster.

Why limit your sights? I understand some people prefer different species, we're all guilty of preference here, like I don't really want to get a parrotlet as I worry about handling something so small, just wondering if that is why you're set on the bigger "and badder" parrots? Many of us here will attest to how good a smaller parrot is, conures are just small macaws (just don't let them know they're small) and ofcourse many here will speak the world of their big parrots (especially the zon owners) but they will also say how much they love the small ones and how even the small ones can be as complicated as the big ones as you seem to understand which is good. I don't think anyone here will say a bird is a "starter" but more a better fit for someone.

I will also say, I'm not much older than yourself. I've moved into my first home this year and it does give you a new view on the world mainly "wait? My parents did all this stuff? what do you mean I have to clean the walls themselves!? Cleaning the cupboards too!?" just those funny little things you discover.

Now yes everyone is interested in Macaws and Greys. They're the headlining acts of the parrot world, why would you not be interested? the big difference is knowing what interests you and what is feasible, I had it for a bit when I first moved in where I had no money no matter how well I budgeted or saved. things just cost money despite me being on what is considered a decent wage for my age. I since managed to negotiate a better pay with my bosses which helped greatly. Just an idea that it'll be best to check financially what is viable as you go and with the state of earth economies aren't going to get better any time soon.

Good to see you moved away from the idea of rearing yourself, really it's you paying a breeder so you can do their job. Seems a bit silly to me and like you're aware of now it offers no benefit. I'd agree with rescuing, you know what you get then. No having to deal with the teenage years you get with a baby bird which is the main reason they get rehomed, a sweet bird suddenly becomes a grumpy adult with opinions and ideas of their own. you've said you're going to look into volunteering and frankly that's awesome (and helps with applying for work) you may just happen to find the right companion there like a lot of people who volunteer do and be pleasantly surprised at what you end up with

Also yes you have to think about where you're gonna be living soon. Many apartments don't allow pets of any sort, you have to think of neighbors who may not want a screaming bird inside the building. For the apartments that do allow birds they can and do often charge more, they also come to inspect the place and that person will attribute even a small string of fabric in another room as your bird's fault, and do whatever they can to get you out quick due to the misconception of birds being disgusting smelly animals that everyone is allergic to. Saying that some landlords are good, mine is incredibly relaxed with a bird, all they care about is I pay my rent and make the place look good when I eventually leave. Nothing more but those people are few and far between.

Finally and this is where my own little back-hand comes in. you need to learn to show respect to others, be it you think people are insulting you or whatever. You say you feel attacked but you're dishing it out yourself and are appearing very confrontational from post 1. your top post right now strikes me as very much "this is what I want, tell me how to get it and for it to be perfect" and I'm sure others feel the same way be it mis-understanding or whatever. You have shown yourself as being hot-headed and impatient with people, based on just what I have read I would agree right now it's good you don't own a parrot, not an insult but an observation and opinion based on evidence presented in front of me. A parrot of any sort requires a calm and extremely patient approach and if you go for confrontation with a parrot it ends bad for you. They have a knife attached to their face and they know it and they will not back down if they feel threatened in their home. I think maybe you've come on here with your own idea of what to expect as for replies, didn't get what you wanted and became hot headed as everyone who's 18 does. you're at the key point where you turn from kind of an adult into an actual adult and the biggest thing to learn now is if you feel insulted the best thing to do is to diffuse a situation instead of escalating. Even if someone is screaming in your face understand what they are saying to you. Even if they're screaming at you it's hard to argue back to you if you smile and nod politely. Though I think a large portion of here is due to the anonymity of the internet, it's a real psychological thing (why people who seem calm normally can turn into screaming obscenities behind the wheel of a car)

For the time being I'd just say, read threads, learn what you can, ask simple yet polite questions where you can. when people give you feedback take what they say and understand it before jumping to a reaction. It's a tight knit group here of people with a similar interest and you'd be surprised as to how accepting people here are if you treat them with the level of respect you want from everyone else

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Finally and this is where my own little back-hand comes in. you need to learn to show respect to others, be it you think people are insulting you or whatever. You say you feel attacked but you're dishing it out yourself and are appearing very confrontational from post 1. your top post right now strikes me as very much "this is what I want, tell me how to get it and for it to be perfect" and I'm sure others feel the same way be it mis-understanding or whatever. You have shown yourself as being hot-headed and impatient with people, based on just what I have read I would agree right now it's good you don't own a parrot

This, in an egg-shell. Big attitude change is needed here before owning an intelligent and emotional parrot. So, as said many times, keep learning, ideally hands on, you will realise the commitment needed and most likely grow from that experience. Peeps on here have been fantastic with me and truly care for my CAG as well, i've learned a lot from the excellent advice ive been given and ive adjusted my mindset based on this new knowledge. Its not easy owning a parrot but the rewards far out weigh the effort.

I wish you all the best in your quest!

Last edited:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
As has been mentioned above, please find a rescue to volunteer at! This will be an incredible learning experience for you, where you can interact with many different species, learn what having a parrot is all about, the good and the bad, and if you decide after spending some time there that a parrot is not right for you, or not right for you at this time, you won't have brought a parrot into your home that you then have to rehome. And, if you decide that a parrot is the right choice, and now is the right time, interacting with so many different birds at a rescue will help you decide what is right for you - and if you are lucky, a bird might *pick you* as his new parront! That is an amazing thing for you and the bird.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
and if you are lucky, a bird might *pick you* as his new parront! That is an amazing thing for you and the bird.

Actually thats a very good point, prior to becoming a parront with Enzo i was looking into lots of different birds and trying to discover exactly which bird suited me and my lifestyle. I was offered my CAG as a rehome but discounted her as she was too much of a bird for me i thought (probably correctly at the start). After visiting the lady with the parrots twice it was obvious that Enzo wanted my attention and after she came out for the first time to see me, the decision was made to bring her home.

As you are also in the stage of 'i want a parrot, but not sure if this one or that one', then maybe once you have learned a little more you allow your fid to choose you/

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello and welcome.
I’m sorry to read that this thread got controversial. I didn’t see the original post, (pre-edit) and I was confused as I was reading the responses.
I’m glad there was clarification.
I agree with much that has been stated previously. And you would do well to heed the advice.

I have had animals my entire life, mainly Labrador Retrievers in my adulthood. I researched everything I could about them prior to purchasing my 1st Lab puppy 20 years ago. I worked very hard, they were well trained and well behaved.
I did the same with my parrot purchase. I’ve wanted one for many years. I visited bird shops frequently, read books, watched videos, and asked a ton of questions. I wish I knew about rescues, b/c I would have sought them out as well.

When I brought him (Levi) home, I ‘thought’ I was ready as I did my due diligence. Well, it was a lot tougher than even I had imagined. My bird hated me for the 1st month. I couldn’t get near him without him running away or lunging at me to bite me. It took a lot of time, patience, perseverance and more research but we finally built trust and bonded. Based on your age and maturity level would you be able to handle that? They don’t just adore you like a puppy will. This is one of the many reasons they get returned or abandoned.

I’m also a mother and as many have said, getting a parrot is right up there with the sacrifice and commitment of raising a child. Except for most, their children move on.

Continue gathering information, educate yourself and eventually, when you’re ready you’ll find the perfect match.
I have found that a Grey was perfect for my family and I did choose the right companion.

Best of luck to you on this exciting journey.

PS) Respect does go a long way.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)

First you're to be commended for seeking advice and coming at this from an angle of forethought and planning. Good on you Mat.

Second, parrot people can be...intense, lol. We really, really like and care for birds- ours, everyone else's, all of them, and generally all animals in general. It can lead to us saying things from a place of protection and concern. Everyone here means well, and is trying to do right by you by not sugar-coating or varnishing the reality of time/cost/expense you'll be investing.

Third, brushing aside remarks on both sides, if you're still reading this thread, you've started to cultivate a good mindset. I'll PM you this too. Volunteering to care for abandoned birds is a good way to understand the issues that come with bird companionship (ha, maybe all of them, all at once!)

I've wanted parrots practically my whole life, but then didn't get any after a short stint with parakeets when I was around 13, until I was in my early thirties, had a home, space, and money to essentially put towards something that wasn't food/shelter/etc. That's not to say you have to be super rich or anything - just that you need to make sure you're settled and stable before you can provide that for others (yes, I know your [edited] post reflects these admonishments).

All that said, interact with birds as much as you can, at shelters for example. You're young and when you're young, your preferences change. A lot. I think in time you could be happy with any kind of parrot or bird companion, with enough contact and exposure. They all have their own kinds of personalities. Larger species = longer lives, therefore you'll have them around for a greater span of your life, but every kind of bird can provide a rewarding and enjoyable satisfaction of company in its own way.

Micaiahholton

Oct 31, 2017
Parrots
Gus: Quaker
Hello there. I understand you want a bigger bird in a few years and I think volunteering with parrots is a great idea. Another bird to consider is an Amazon. They are very sweet birds and aren't as hard to take care of or as risky as a Macaw. They also are very talkative and simple to train (at least in my experience) One thing that's important to note though is just because a bird is prettier or bigger doesn't necessarily mean they are the bird for you. I absolutely love mini macaws but I know it wouldn't get along with my other bird.
Here's my main advice though, go to a parrot rescue and start volunteering there. Find a bird you connect with no matter the species and learn there. I hope you found some of this helpful!

Micaiahholton

Oct 31, 2017
Parrots
Gus: Quaker
I love that everyone is getting involved here. I'm glad we can all be positive about what we do and be passionate!

OP
M

matacalro

Nov 1, 2017
Atlanta
Parrots
No Parrots yet!
Hi! I am most definitely not getting a macaw, but I am considering a medium bird. I love amazons! Thank you for the suggestion, that's what this post was all about. Somehow it turned from "Help with bird choice?" to "YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING AND STOP IT." Trust me, I KNOW I don't know anything, that's why I'm here to ask questions. I am going to spend one on one time with different species to make a well-informed decision when I get one in a few years. :)

OP
M

matacalro

Nov 1, 2017
Atlanta
Parrots
No Parrots yet!
Thanks Tami! The controversial topic was raising birds before weaning, I was just asking if that was normal, which I have now learned is NOT okay. I have learned that parrot owners are extremely sensitive about this stuff, so I'll get my answers from google or sub-forums from now on haha. And I know respect is important, but when I replied to those posts, it was because I was disrespected and felt angry, from now on, I will be the bigger person, and just be respectful to them no matter what they say. Thanks for the help! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts