Help with full-spectrum lighting

DanR

Jan 23, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Tango - WBC
Hi guys,

Need some help with full spectrum lighting for my upcoming Caique's cage. I want to put a light on a timer that will run in the afternoon in to the evening so that she is not in a pitch black room by 5 or 6 PM plus I've read a few people recommending full spectrum lights. So I started looking for 18" full spectrum fluroscent tubes and the appropriate fixture at Home Depot, Rona and a couple other places here in Montreal, Canada and can't find a darn thing, I am beyond frustrated. A post in here said they found at a local USA Lowes the fixture for $15 and the bulbs are $5 each or something along those lines. I can't find ANYTHING here.

So a couple of questions... Is Full Spectrum indeed the way to go for my bird and can you guys recommend some effective but well priced models I should look for? I also read that the tubes are much better than bulbs.

Would anyone be willing to pick up these items at their local bigbox hardware store and ship it to me if I send you the funds via PayPal?

If any of the pet specific products are good, can you guys make me some recommendations? I was looking here at amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=full%20spectrum"]Amazon.com: full spectrum: Pet Supplies[/ame]

I do see some 18" tubes but they all seem to say they are for aquariums... can I use these?

Sorry for the confusion, if someone could just tell me exactly what I should look to buy and maybe a link online, it would be a huge help. I am completely fuddled on this lighting thing now...

Caique.gif

Thanks,
Dan

OP
DanR

DanR

Jan 23, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Tango - WBC
Wow great article, but now I'm even more unsure of what I should be doing lol!

Maybe the best thing to ask is what are you guys doing to avoid having your birds in the dark until bed time? Should I just go with a regular light?

Confused as always,
Dan

OP
DanR

DanR

Jan 23, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Tango - WBC

Most Reactions