Help with my new lorikeet please! i'm lost!

NumberSeven

Mar 29, 2014
Hello everyone! So let me explain this situation to you.

Out of the blue, my brother brought home two ducklings (his problem, i'm not worried about those) and a rainbow lorikeet. Apparantly the ducklings were 5 dollars each and the rainbow was 20 dollars, to give you an idea of the shady market he bought them from.

Regardless, inspecting the rainbow i dont see any telltale signs of sickness, and its the only bird i currently own so its not going to make any other birds sick. If it was up to me i would have gotten it hand raised from a breeder, but as long as this bird is healthy i can look after it.

So far its been fairly friendly as far as it can be, i've fed it apple slices through the bars, at first it would only eat them while i sat further away, but now it eats them even while i'm holding them through the bars. Though it gets a bit scared when i stand up.

I've had it for about a day now, we're getting some proper lorikeet food tonight, its literally as soon as possible. Can you lorikeet owners give me tips, advice, care tips, general tips, taming advice?

I've usually always thoroughly researched what to expect with birds like this, at hte moment our cage is even too small because my brother rushed into it. We're getting a much bigger cage as soon as possible so it has room. Please, i could really use some advice. All i know is that it needs special food, it has bad poo (so far its been pretty contained at least) and on taming, im just giving it food until it trusts me, thats the only technique i know of.

Also, do i clean the cage bottom even while its still scared? i cant force it out, i dont want to lose its trust and have it flying around the house it will do so much damage to how it sees me. Do i just pull the bottom section of the cage out and give it a clean anyway even if its a little scary for the bird, and rely on taking it out to clean the cage properly other times?

Anything you can tell, i'd really appreciate it. I'm a massive bird lover and rainbows are beautiful, so even if it's daunting to care for i don't mind, i'm a student with a lot of time. (20 years old, Only out of the house on monday and tuesday for class, but granted those days im gone ALL day)

EDIT
KTenmES.jpg

Last edited:

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I have to clean my Lorikeet cage every day chase their droppings are liquid. They require nectar powder mixed with water and dry sprinkled over veggies and fruit. NEVER give pellets, seeds, avacados, onions, tomatoes, garlic, coffee, or chocolate to him! As for taking it will probably take quite some time just give him food and clean the cage and just sit by him and talk nicely not too close to the cage but nearby I would sugggest reading outloud in the same room just so he gets comfortable with you and when he settles in try letting him out when no fans are on and you aren't cooking anything no doors or windows open and offer him some fruit as treats and just let him hang out for a bit he may fly over to you or step up and it may be soon or could take weeks just go as slow as he is comfortable with and be sure to get a big cage they love to play and exercise!!

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Beautiful Bird!!! I don't know anything about them but good luck!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
To go with Marcia's post, I also mix warm water with nectar powder to give them a nectar drink for night time. As I feed the fruits and veggies mix with sprinkled nectar over them during the day time.

OP
N

NumberSeven

Mar 29, 2014
To go with Marcia's post, I also mix warm water with nectar powder to give them a nectar drink for night time. As I feed the fruits and veggies mix with sprinkled nectar over them during the day time.

How much water do you mix with the powder typically? i mixed some just before for the lorikeet, it doesnt seem too fond of it, it kind of eats a bit and then jumps away, then comes back for a bit more and a bit more and so on.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Also they really like toys [shiny ones ,swings boings and foot toys ] Want a happy lorry get him toys . Their like a circus act [I have 2 a chattering and a yellow streaked] . Absolutely cannot go without their powder food. As for being new and scared . This could take awhile . Be slow and consistent and very positive . Im sure you will have a diiferent bird in 2 months [get back to us :)] . I would carefully clean around him . Remember to research on everything toxic to birds [to be safe]. I clean only with vinegar and water [I take no chances ] Good luck :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

How much water do you mix with the powder typically? i mixed some just before for the lorikeet, it doesnt seem too fond of it, it kind of eats a bit and then jumps away, then comes back for a bit more and a bit more and so on.

You follow the direction on the packaging....I'm not sure what brand you bought so I couldn't tell you how much to mix. As different brands mix differently.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I don't know much about their care, but I just wanted to say he/she is a beautiful bird:) Given it came from a shady market rather than a reputable breeder, I would take it to a vet at some point just to be totally sure it's healthy. Even if you don't have any other birds it could effect, you wouldn't want him/her to be sick and you not know it. Vet can also DNA test to see if it's a male or female. Best of luck with your new buddy!

Most Reactions