help with new macaw?

PJparrot

Jul 15, 2012
GA
Parrots
1 impossible parakeet
1 scarlet macaw (PJ)
Yesterday I got a call from a friend asking if I would like to take in his friends macaw because they were moving and would not be able to care for him. I have wanted a macaw for years and said of course. He was free and came with his 'cage' as well as some food and all his toys.

First of all his cage is really a huge playset perch with food and water cups. He knows how to climb down onto the floor, but doesn't do it unless I cover his 'cage'. He loves me and we are doing well together with handling and such and he 'steps up' every time I ask. He can say a few things (apparently he curses, but he hasn't yet for me lol) he is very rarely loud , eats his food (says MMMM with treats he likes) and drinks well.

He absolutely hates my husband lol but we are fine with that, and my husband knows about parrots and their random likes and dislikes of people.

From what my friend told me his previous owner never handled him, and so he pulled out ALL his feathers on his chest and back, and his wing feathers are curly and gnarly looking. He seems healthy besides his nasty appearance.

Any comment, hints, and suggestions are highly appreciated! I want to provide the best forever home possible for him. I have researched a lot since making the decision to take him in, and understand their lifespan and their basic and advanced needs. Advice from bird people can only help! Thanks y'all!

Taylor and PJ:red1::red1:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

Lots of Macaw owners here... I am sure they will be along shortly to give you some great advice:)

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
hi there! it sounds like you got everything set up well. i would suggest getting a good book like good parrotkeeping or the parrot problem solver. both books discuss a lot about basic parrot care from big to small and what it takes or to be expected. also, parrot behavior really has to be learned by the owner so you can tell what mood your birdie is in.

find out what the macaw loves as treats and use that for training and bonding. dont let the bird get away with a lot of bad behavior. it will push some boundaries to see if it can boss you around. i mean, dont coming running if its screaming for attention. i think you are on to a good start. just keep the bird busy with foraging and training to distract from feather picking. pet shops sell fabric, rope preening toys that birds like and use for preening prevention. my birds like bristles and feathered toys to play and snuggle up with.

also, go see an avian vet to rule out any medical issues that could be causing feather problems.

Last edited:

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Good-Parrotkeeping-Comprehensive-Things-Keeping/dp/0793806666/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342425250&sr=8-3&keywords=parrot+keeping"]http://www.amazon.com/Good-Parrotkeeping-Comprehensive-Things-Keeping/dp/0793806666/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342425250&sr=8-3&keywords=parrot+keeping[/ame]

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Problem-Solver-Barbara-Heidenreich/dp/0793805627/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342425865&sr=1-1&keywords=parrot+problem+solver]Amazon.com: The Parrot Problem Solver (9780793805624): Barbara Heidenreich: Books[/ame]

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
if he has been plucking for a while it may be a habit for him now. but it also could be he is board for never being handle from the last owner. just make sure u get him out everyday for a few hours a day. make sure he has toy n his cage that keeps him busy when he is in his cage.

OP
P

PJparrot

Jul 15, 2012
GA
Parrots
1 impossible parakeet
1 scarlet macaw (PJ)
Thanks! I do plan on taking him to the vet for a checkup and about his feathers, beak and nails (devil talons!lol) but I'm going to have to wait a few weeks until I have the money unless he gets worse (in which case ill take him asap)

A little backstory on him. I found out he was owned by a pet shop (as an ornament, not for sale) until the shop closed and then his previous owners bought him. I have no idea how old he is!

I plan on making him a large cage in the next few months, but I don't want to stress him out any more than I have to...

He has been doing better with consistant handling, but my hubby still can't walk by his perch without PJ acting like he's going to rip jeffs face off haha

Also... he CAN'T FLY! His wings are not clipped but he won't even stretch them out? Could this be from having a cramped cage at some point?

OP
P

PJparrot

Jul 15, 2012
GA
Parrots
1 impossible parakeet
1 scarlet macaw (PJ)
I'm also planning on asking my vet tech instructors about it (one is a vet) and seeing if they have any ideas as well, I want to be the best owner possible for this guy!

terri526

Jul 13, 2012
New York state
Parrots
Catalina Macaw,Hawkhead.Sun conure,2blk Hd Caiques,Congo Grey,Yellow streaked lory,Rose breasted2,LS2
Hi I have a Macaw[I think their fantastic!] my most human of the bunch. The advice I would like to give is .I was always told put your birds on a realistic schedule[it works well for me]Im a mother and wife and work.Harlow watches the news with me hangs out.Is out on a playstand or with family when I get home from work[till dinner] .Goes outside on her harness after dinner.Shes a happy girl,well loved by her family.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
He can fly. You may not have seen him fly but if he's not clip he should and can fly. Be careful of teakwn him outside. If he gets spooke u he jump off n fly

OP
P

PJparrot

Jul 15, 2012
GA
Parrots
1 impossible parakeet
1 scarlet macaw (PJ)
MacawGuy, I'm not so sure... his previous owner said he can't fly, and he won't stretch out his wings ata ll eiher... I asked my vet tech prof, who knows PJ (lol go figure) and told me who his regular vet is. I'm going to call them when they open today and make an appointment. I'm a little worried about his not flying, he has free reign of the house and hasn't tried

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Thanks! I do plan on taking him to the vet for a checkup and about his feathers, beak and nails (devil talons!lol) but I'm going to have to wait a few weeks until I have the money unless he gets worse (in which case ill take him asap)

A little backstory on him. I found out he was owned by a pet shop (as an ornament, not for sale) until the shop closed and then his previous owners bought him. I have no idea how old he is!

I plan on making him a large cage in the next few months, but I don't want to stress him out any more than I have to...

He has been doing better with consistant handling, but my hubby still can't walk by his perch without PJ acting like he's going to rip jeffs face off haha

Also... he CAN'T FLY! His wings are not clipped but he won't even stretch them out? Could this be from having a cramped cage at some point?

He could be suffering from muscle atrophy. He may need to build up his breast and wing muscle mass before flying. It'll take heaps of exercise to get him to that stage, but it is possible.

Encourage him to stretch his wings and whenever he flaps his wings, praise him so that he gets used to it. The beating of the wings can help build up muscle mass, but be prepared that he may never fly, or never want to.

Regardless, be careful if you take him outside as a gust of wind can easily carry off your bird; as other members have stated (and sometimes experienced!!)

Big Blues

May 22, 2011
Hi, congratulations on your macaw, what's his name? Researching all the information you can is so important if he is your first macaw. It is good that he is eating well, what is his diet, healthy food is really important for healthy feathers and can help with plucking. He could be plucking for reasons such as diet, medical issues, boredom or stress. He needs lot's of toys to keep him busy and an environment where he is comfortable. I would recommend your hubby talk softly to him when he walks by and try to strike a distant relationship so your macaw isn't stressed.

Some macaws don't choose not to fly even fully fighted, he may not have had a chance to show his previous owners he can. If he gets freighted he can take off without notice, be careful both safety inside your house and if you take him outside be sure he is harnessed.

Last edited:
OP
P

PJparrot

Jul 15, 2012
GA
Parrots
1 impossible parakeet
1 scarlet macaw (PJ)
Thanks y'all! His name is PJ
He has gotten to let my husband hold him but not pet him and will take food and treats from him now.

He still occasionally gets in moods and will get pissy with me and try to bite, but I think he's just saying he doesn't want to play

He has a vet appt thurs to get his talons clipped lol his previous owners had never taken him to the vet for anything so I'm getting him a checkup too ... also planning to make him a real cage instead of his perch playset so I can cover it at night.

Also any suggestions on better things to feed him? He loves apples and carrots (lol little winged horse!) I haven't tried much else, and his seed mix is 'premium parrot food' but ill look for something better this weekend

Big Blues

May 22, 2011
Thanks y'all! His name is PJ
He has gotten to let my husband hold him but not pet him and will take food and treats from him now.

He still occasionally gets in moods and will get pissy with me and try to bite, but I think he's just saying he doesn't want to play

He has a vet appt thurs to get his talons clipped lol his previous owners had never taken him to the vet for anything so I'm getting him a checkup too ... also planning to make him a real cage instead of his perch playset so I can cover it at night.

Also any suggestions on better things to feed him? He loves apples and carrots (lol little winged horse!) I haven't tried much else, and his seed mix is 'premium parrot food' but ill look for something better this weekend

PJ is on the right track, apples and carrots are healthy choices. This is a great article to read and get a good idea of what you should feed him. Pellets, fresh veggies, fresh fruits and grains are all good. We feed ours what they like the least for breakfast when they are the hungriest and their more favorites at evening meal with a few nuts for dessert. :)

Feeding the Companion Parrot by Pamela Clark

Most Reactions