How long does it usually take for a conure to learn how to come on command?

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
Two budgies- Edith & Azalea
Ive been working with tiago (6 month old pineapple conure) to come to me on command, especially because he cant fly yet. I want to get him to get it down and understand it so that he comes to me when i need him to when his wing feathers eventually grow back. Hes doing pretty good, but only comes when i show him millet. How do i get him to come without the millet and just from the command? And how long should i continue to use the millet before taking it away?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots are not like dogs, who can be trained to come on command 99.999% of the time. Tell you a little info - Salty and I train every night with over 48 tricks, and we have for almost 8 years. THousands of times. ANd some nights he will just refuse a given trick or just not want to train that night at all. And I dont push it, because they are not like dogs. Dogs make good seeing eye dogs and service animals; Parrots would make terrible service animals - they are too smart and too strong emotions to let that happen.

You want a time frame for this training? Give it 6 months, doing 1 15 min training session every single day.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
How long? Uhhhhh...
Ummmmm...

40 years?

I'm sure my Rickeybird is a worst-case scenario, thanks to his disposition and my lack of consistent training, but... good luck!

OP
Fauna

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
Parrots are not like dogs, who can be trained to come on command 99.999% of the time. Tell you a little info - Salty and I train every night with over 48 tricks, and we have for almost 8 years. THousands of times. ANd some nights he will just refuse a given trick or just not want to train that night at all. And I dont push it, because they are not like dogs. Dogs make good seeing eye dogs and service animals; Parrots would make terrible service animals - they are too smart and too strong emotions to let that happen.

You want a time frame for this training? Give it 6 months, doing 1 15 min training session every single day.
Thank you!

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Every bird is different. None are the same. Teeko took about 3 months to be completely comfortable. Now I don't even have to tell him to "come" he just follows. And would do it probably all day if I gave him the chance..everyday you just need to bond. Even if your not playing with him in the moment. Let him be around you. Alot. Birds have their own trust. And their own time. No matter what training you do. It's all about That true BOND. Birds can feel your emotion and body language. Treat them like a true friend and companion. Not just a bird

Last edited:
OP
Fauna

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
Every bird is different. None are the same. Teeko took about 3 months to be completely comfortable. Now I don't even have to tell him to "come" he just follows. And would do it probably all day if I gave him the chance..everyday you just need to bond. Even if your not playing with him in the moment. Let him be around you. Alot. Birds have their own trust. And their own time. No matter what training you do. It's all about That true BOND. Birds can feel your emotion and body. Treat them like a true friend and companion. Not just a bird
thank you! i take him around the house all the time. Hes grown super attached already!! He gets upset if he sees me leaving without him, and gets super excited when he sees me come home. The other night was the most hes ever let me hold him like a baby and give him lots of scritches and now hes always wanting more!

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
thank you! i take him around the house all the time. Hes grown super attached already!! He gets upset if he sees me leaving without him, and gets super excited when he sees me come home. The other night was the most hes ever let me hold him like a baby and give him lots of scritches and now hes always wanting more!
He's very pretty! Glad to have another conure in this forum!!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
As mentioned each bird is individual, so us saying how long, we just can't say.

When I got Phoenix, he was one of 25 different baby birds. All in one big Rubbermaid tub. He is the one that climbed out and to me, three days in a row. So that determined that I was his human. So we never had to learn the step up, he just naturally did it. All I had to do was put out a finger, arm whatever and he stepped right on over.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
as others have mentioned, they aren't like dogs for instance.

My baby black lory has been training with me since day one. you will have to train your bird, which I think is important to do personally. there will be times when your bird gets into something and you want to call your bird for his or her own safety.

I been flight training my Lory and her being 3 months old and some change, she will fly to me when I whistle a certain way. I also trained her to step up for obvious reasons and I got her on a set schedule so my bird doesn't go into shock when I leave for work. I also have been getting her acquainted with other people, as I dont want her to be a one person bird in case I need to have her in day care.

as babies, they absorb training and tricks at a much higher rate than that of a adult parrot. so the earlier you train your parrot the easier it will be for you in the long run. jmho

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I've never done it, but it can take as little as 2 months to as long as 2 years to get a bird to fly to you on command. Average is 3-6 months of daily, constant training. The people who have told me this have said they clicker train their birds, too, so that might be a determining factor in your training. BirdTricks Q&A on Facebook is a really good place for this kind of information. Hope that helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts