help with training please

charlene

May 20, 2011
England UK
Parrots
Rosella parakeet
:confused: Hi i have an eastern rosella parakeet called nolan, i can get him to feed from my hand and take a seed from between my fingers would like to be able to train him to come to me and to maybe fly from one person to another. I dont have any idea how to go about doing this any advice please. I would probably need a beginers guide lol. a lot of people say that they cant be trained but he is definetly warming to the idea of not pecking and comes much closer to you when out of the cage than he used to so i can see some small improvements

Rennagade

Jul 28, 2011
Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Male Alexandrine 3yrs old (Zeus) and Female Alexandrine 4 yrs old (Gretchen)
Hi Charlene!
I know for sure that Eastern Rosellas can be trained...I grew up with one in the family! They are native to Australia so we have a few of them that live wild around our area and let me tell you..they are FUNNY!!!!

Just be careful...they are very quick to create a habit and if they think they can put it over you they will. So some behaviour that seems funny or cute initially can become a big problem later on!

Have a look on utube. there are heaps of videos of how to train your bird to do different things. Just be patient and persistent...and if you get bitten, try your hardest not to react and pull away (this is so easy to say but really hard to do!). instead try to push into him so he overbalances. This usually works but sometimes you have to take a few "for the team" before they realise it just doesn't work.
Good luck:D

OP
charlene

charlene

May 20, 2011
England UK
Parrots
Rosella parakeet
i am going to try target training i have also reacently got him to take piects of fruit from my mouth he gets excited when he hears the word banana thanks for your advice very encouraging it might take a long time to train nolan but i will keep trying ill let you know how i get on x

OP
charlene

charlene

May 20, 2011
England UK
Parrots
Rosella parakeet
he oftern lowers him self and does like a chicken dance oftern when music is on is this just him dancing or does it mean something else?

Most Reactions

Latest posts