Help!

maggiemae

Mar 14, 2024
Media
Parrots
Conure
Hi my names Margy and I have a 12 year old conure called momo. He’s the loveliest little bird sometimes he love cuddles and tickles And being stroked especially on his beak he’s also got a foot fetish 😂. He likes to hide under tissue and tea towels to play hide and seek. he talks quite a bit he has got a good vocabulary Ive had him since he was 16 weeks old he’s never really been interested in toys no matter how many I’ve bought him he’s just the cutest little thing, he chews everything in sight. He did have a little budgie companion called monkey who sadly passed away a few months ago. I know he’s grieving so I have bought a new budgie not as a replacement but to try to help him really, he seems to have accepted him, but the problem I have now is he’s been chewing the wallpaper and underside of my recliner chair, I’ve tried everything to stop him from strong gorilla tape a full bottle of no more chew and now double sided sticky tape to deter him before he comes through to the seat, nothing works. I’m at my wits end does anyone have any ideas. I don’t like to lock him in his cage so he’s out all day.Please 🙏any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, I’m sorry to hear about your conure chewing holes through furniture. I’ve seen macaws, and cockatoos that have destroyed trim, and cabinets in homes. It can be so expensive if you don’t know how to fix these things. I myself do not leave my parrots out unattended. If they start chewing I put them back in their cages as I have toys for them that can be destroyed. I have designated bird shirts as they at times chew holes through shirts. I am constantly buying parrot toys, or making them. It’s a great way to keep the beaks busy. Some parrots are avid chewers. I have a Jenday that I call my chainsaw on legs. I also have a sun who ran into a window prior to me having him. He’s not exactly normal. He needs beak trims, and I have to try to teach him how to chew on toys. He’s started to the last 4-6 months. He loves destroying popsicle sticks. Prior to that I can’t say I’d ever seen him chew on a toy. So there are disadvantages to parrots not chewing as their beaks become overgrown. If I were you when your parrot gets “beaky” (chewing on things) I’d try to put him/her back in her cage with toys that are okay to destroy. I hope something in here helps.

OP
maggiemae

maggiemae

Mar 14, 2024
Media
Parrots
Conure
Hi there, I’m sorry to hear about your conure chewing holes through furniture. I’ve seen macaws, and cockatoos that have destroyed trim, and cabinets in homes. It can be so expensive if you don’t know how to fix these things. I myself do not leave my parrots out unattended. If they start chewing I put them back in their cages as I have toys for them that can be destroyed. I have designated bird shirts as they at times chew holes through shirts. I am constantly buying parrot toys, or making them. It’s a great way to keep the beaks busy. Some parrots are avid chewers. I have a Jenday that I call my chainsaw on legs. I also have a sun who ran into a window prior to me having him. He’s not exactly normal. He needs beak trims, and I have to try to teach him how to chew on toys. He’s started to the last 4-6 months. He loves destroying popsicle sticks. Prior to that I can’t say I’d ever seen him chew on a toy. So there are disadvantages to parrots not chewing as their beaks become overgrown. If I were you when your parrot gets “beaky” (chewing on things) I’d try to put him/her back in her cage with toys that are okay to destroy. I hope something in here helps.
Hi, oh trust me when I say I’ve tried putting him back In his cage for time out he’s a very defiant conure. He used to love to destroy cardboard boxes and also I have a little soft handbag on the door handle and that was his favourite thing to chew but hes no longer interested, I’ve changed his toys i don’t know why he play with them. Also he has a hanging tent bed and in the past few weeks he’s destroyed five of them. Double sided sticky doesn’t deter him, I’m wondering if there is a spice or pepper that I could sprinkle on it ? Despite all of this I wouldn’t swap him for the world.🥰💗

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi, oh trust me when I say I’ve tried putting him back In his cage for time out he’s a very defiant conure. He used to love to destroy cardboard boxes and also I have a little soft handbag on the door handle and that was his favourite thing to chew but hes no longer interested, I’ve changed his toys i don’t know why he play with them. Also he has a hanging tent bed and in the past few weeks he’s destroyed five of them. Double sided sticky doesn’t deter him, I’m wondering if there is a spice or pepper that I could sprinkle on it ? Despite all of this I wouldn’t swap him for the world.🥰💗
One more thought… sense he’s chewing the bottom side of your chair. If it’s a dark place for a parrot to get under I always think of hormones. Especially sense it’s spring, and parrots are in the mood to be “nesty”. My jenday right now will try to go under my shirt, or in my hoods. She looking for dark places for nesting.

OP
maggiemae

maggiemae

Mar 14, 2024
Media
Parrots
Conure
Oh yea I didn’t think of that I will make something for him to hide in. In the meantime I’ve spread lots of white pepper on top of the sticky tape 🫣 I’m just hoping that might stop him. I appreciate your advise thank you , I’ll let you know if this works 🤞

Most Reactions

Latest posts