help!!!

jendenn

Feb 27, 2012
i have a wonderful new conure..... he is 5 years old and initially loved to be with me. he now does this odd wing shake and tries to bite me ....... VERY hard...... please advise! i love this silly bird and don't want to give him up but neither can i be attacked constantly.

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Can you give us some more details? Is he doing this in certain situations or all the time? Have there been any big changes in his surroundings or routine lately? How long have you had him? What type of conure is he?

OP
J

jendenn

Feb 27, 2012
he is great with the kids, my husband and even the cat.... it is constant if i even come close he tries to bite me......it doesnt matter if he is in the cage or out of it, on a perch or on a shoulder.....he seems to really want to hurt me....no big changes other than coming here to live (he was raised by my cousin until i took him)
the wing shake i was hoping was a mating dance not a threatening dance?

OP
J

jendenn

Feb 27, 2012
i have only had him a week now but he seems to be getting more aggresive toward me by the day

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
You may be taking things a bit too fast. Some birds take quite a while to adjust to new situations and it will probably take a bit longer to earn his trust. I would take things very slowly while he's still settling in.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Welcome to the forum... and please slow down!

It takes quite a while for a bird to settle into a new home... You are all strangers to him... If you are the main carer, you might be invading his space more than other family members...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I agree with the above posters. I would approach him without looking him in the eye. Try flirting coyly, looking at him from the side, then hiding your face with your hand, and peaking out. Maybe giggle a little when you do it. Imitate him by blinking if he blinks, bob your head if he does, stick your tongue out at him if he does it to you. If he talks or does other types of imitations, always imitate them back to him.

One that has worked well for me is to sit on the floor and talk or sing quietly. Usually the bird will come down fairly quickly to investigate and check me out. I think it makes me less threatening to become lower than they are.

Play silly games like peak a boo. You can hide under a blanket or behind the couch. Sing for the bird and try dancing as well. Conures seem to really like to dance.

OP
J

jendenn

Feb 27, 2012
:rainbow1: ty i will try to slow things down......maybe he is over stimulated and overwhelmed....i will keep u posted

OP
J

jendenn

Feb 27, 2012
UPDATE: paco is my co joined twin lol we are only separated when i go off to work..... :) who knew a parrot could be such a great friend?!!

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Great news! Glad to see he has come around!

Most Reactions