Help!

fadedecember

Feb 21, 2013
I recently rescued two cockatiels, two from a smokers home. They stink horribly and I've done what I can to get rid of the odor but the one has bad respiratory problems and often sticks her foot in her mouth in order to breath (she wheezes quite a bit) and has lost feathers all around her head and the other has lost his foot (its not infected, it looks like its been like this for a while or was cut off, he gets around fine and otherwise seems to be healthy). Im concerned for the female, the male doesnt seem to be aggressive towards her but the feathers are plucked around the neck so I dont know what else wouldve happened; im thinking its something to do with the tobbaco since her foot that she puts in her mouth looks like it has dirty boogers on it. Is there any way I could put supplements or anything to help clean out/ help her breath better without spending a fortune on avian vet bills? Does anyone have anything to reccommend as far as that? I dont have much money but I figured id care for them much better then that lady. :yellow1:

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I'm not sure what you can do, but maybe this website can help. Their skin is sure to be irritable, so maybe use aloe juice during their bath. If you can afford even a basic checkup you'd be ahead, but even calling a vet for advice should definitely be done.

SMOKING? | feathershoppe.com

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I think you should take them to the vet, give them some weekly baths to get all that tobacco out of their feathers. You can't really do anything else to help the breathing problems and illnesses besides taking them to the vet. Maybe you can turn hot water in the bathroom and it could help steam the nostrils. Though I really am saying you should take them to the vet

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If these birds will let you hold them, very carefully bathe them with Dawn dish washing liquid and be sure to rinse them real good.....probably once a week over the next 5-6 weeks might be a good timetable.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Unfortunately, the best thing to do is to take them to an avian vet. If you have Care Credit, they might help you with paying off the vet bills... in the sense that it's a credit card for pet health.

Plucked feathers are typically a sign of self mutilation or over-preening from a mate. I have a male that's missing half of his head feathers, presumably due to over-preening from a previous mate.

I'm afraid to recommend anything for them, because if they are indeed sick, they need treatment by a qualified avian vet. Anything we recommend may cause more harm than good.

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
I agree, a trip to the vet is in order. Are they hand tame? If so, maybe take them in the shower with you and let them bathe in the warm water. My tiels love the shower, I took them in today actually. I'm sure they would also love to get the cigarette smell out of their feathers. Thank you for rescuing them, it sounds like they are in a much better place with you.

OP
F

fadedecember

Feb 21, 2013
thanks everyone, I called the vet and found a supplement I can add to her water for healing due to second hand smoke its called hebal bird rx im going to try. I just bought her the other day and im weary about taking her out because shes having difficulty breathing as is and the stress will likely hurt her more, ive given them spray showers to get the smell off im thinking if I should mix the water with vinegar or some other cleaning solution but i havent yet.. She is not wheezing half as much as the day I got her (the environment alone seems to make her 90% better then when she first came) and Ive made it much easier for them both to move around. As far as the male is he doesnt seem to be aggressive but im watching that too.im willing to seperate them the second i see him do anything.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Don't use vinegar on the birds . Weco is right the plain original Dawn Dishwashing liquid , small amt in plain warm water is what they use to wash the oil off seabirds when they get into an oil spill.:)

sjowens

Feb 22, 2013
Nebraska, USA
Parrots
Eclectus(red and blue) and an cockatiel
I agree with everyone else about how to clean the cockatiels, but I would ask the vet if and when you talk to them if you can be put on a payment plan. I know some vets will do that.

If you just want a cheap cleaning by someone else. Try going into PetSmart with a vet in it and ask how much it would cost. I did that with my cockatiel when I first got him. For a check, bath, and nails it was a total of $45. Just for a bath it was $15 and for the bath and check it was $35. The PetSmart I went to were the cheapest around my area.

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
I agree with Aliray about the vinegar. I do diluted vinegar rinses on my hair now and then, and have accidentally gotten it near my eyes... it REALLY stings and hurts, so please don't spray your birds with a vinegar wash, even if very diluted

Most Reactions