help

mzlatina70

Jan 3, 2014
Australia
Parrots
blue fronted amazon
my partner and i purchased a blue front amazon.. got him at six weeks.. we were hand rearing him.. he is now twelve weeks old and is constantly biting me when i put my hand near his foot, for him to step up.. but my partner can with a few nibbles here n there... he just hates me!!!!

will he continue to bite me when he's older?? or will he grow out of it? its weird.. can take him out and feed him but thats it.. i cant scratch him or play with him... its so frustrating!!! and depressing!!!!

thinking of getting another parrot just for me

Chrystal

Jan 2, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Blue crown conure
Wow, I'm baffled. Usually very young birds are not selective. I've really never heard of this at such a young age. Good luck!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I'm also in the midst of overcoming the same issues with my zon. I've had some success but it takes LOTS of time, patience and interaction.

Please don't give up yet and get another bird. Remember - there is no guarantee a new bird will 'instantly love you' either.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum. :) AND congrats on your feisty BF Amazon baby!!!

Please don't be discouraged by his behavior. Here's a little story for you: My Sam (DYH Amazon) came to me at 7 weeks. When I finally got him out of the carrier, he literally nearly flipped on his back trying to get away from me. He growled and lunged like a tiger. :eek: Within 3 days he was fine - with ME only. He'd lunge and growl at husband, he even drew blood from my (adult) son. :54: He was quite a handful, to say the least.

My husband pretty much ignored Sam's outbursts, and pretended not to be afraid of him in the least. It worked. :)

Now, at almost 2 years old, Sam can be picked up by everyone. He willingly steps onto everyone's hand. Now he's not so fond of being fondled/petted/touched by everyone, but he IS friendly. :)

The more you socialize your young BF, the better. The more he sees, the more scenarios he encounters, the more socialized he'll be.

I know those "little" beaks can do some damage, just please don't let him intimidate you. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just a heads up, getting another parrot just for you isn't a good idea. The new parrot could do the same thing. If you just want another bird then get one, but I wouldn't recommend getting one because of issues with your current bird.

OP
M

mzlatina70

Jan 3, 2014
Australia
Parrots
blue fronted amazon
thanks guys...

i should add NEVER in my life have i had a bird let alone a parrot... i think he knows im scared of it ....already. so it freaks me out just the thought of him biting me when his older.

My partner will b going away for a couple of days... i am worried about been alone with him but i have decided to do the clicker method on "chucky" and see how i go...

Think this should help.....?

I'll keep u posted

yikes

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Is he really biting or just beaking?? he might have some association with food and fingers/hand because you are handfeeding him. He associates your hand/finger with food and being fed. Try spoon feeding soft foods unless he's now weaned. yes ,definitely give "clicker" training a try.

Most Reactions