Help!

Sartorial

Mar 14, 2015
Montreal
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I usually spray my conure with old bottles that are empty. Of course I clean them thoroughly because I'm afraid the chemicals might hurt him. I did this tonight and completely forgot to clean the top part before spraying him. As soon as I noticed I covered him in fresh water to try and get it off. I'm so worried I'm going to throw up, can someone please tell me what to do:rainbow1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Take him into the shower and rinse him off real good. What chemical was in the bottle before? You know it doesn't matter how many time your rinse the bottle, there's always chemical residue within that's attached to the plastic. You could just go to the hardware store or even walmart to pickup a brand new empty spray bottle. I like the bottle they use to spray plants with. It's better to be safe then sorry.

IF he ingest any of that chemical residue while your spraying, then it is best for you to take him to emergency vet. There isn't much we can help you with here!

OP
S

Sartorial

Mar 14, 2015
Montreal
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
It was a scented water mist, I feel like such an idiot :(
He seems to be fine, he's been beside me ever since and is his usual self

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Dollar store has small spray bottles, my kids have used them for years to mist their hair.

FYI, ALWAYS, empty your spray bottle and sprayer between use. That water will slime up otherwise!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It was a scented water mist,f
Look it up online on the manufacturer's site. If it doesn't list ingredients, then try the poisons hotline (or whatever equivalent you have there).

As Mikey said, all you can do is wash it off, but it might make you feel better if you find out the content and that it isn't that bad. It would also have been very dilute.

OP
S

Sartorial

Mar 14, 2015
Montreal
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I washed him again (which he wasn't very happy with...) but still seems to be doing okay, still whistling for me and marching back and forth all pissed. Really hoping he's going to be alright, staying up all night watching him
The actual bottle was clean and filled with fresh water, I even drank some to test it. It was just the nozzle that wasn't cleaned properly. In the future I'll get a new empty one, ugh :(

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
In the 'feeling like an idiot' dept,,,
Yesterday, JoJo was taking his bath while I was doing dishes.
Often, he wants me to mist him at the same time, or, very clearly he doesn't!
Brain dead, I picked up the dish soap bottle, held it up to him, and he said no, not this time! My daughter then asked me if I was really about to put soap on him!!

A moment later, I picked up his spray bottle and tried to was the dishes with it!!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
There's a brand of empty bottle here that comes with some different coloured rings to put on them. I think it's a good idea. Blue for me means plain water. I write on bottles with a permanent marker what's in them, but the colour coding is also helpful not to make any mistakes with something, not only with birds, but around the house.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I just give mine a small bowl of lukewarm water in the middle of the table and he splashes and bathes in it fine without my interference. He doesn't like me trying to get him wet from above his head anyway. I wipe the table down afterward. He loves bowl bathing, he seems so excited afterward.

Most Reactions

Latest posts