Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
They weather is gorgeous and I'm thinking of taking Venus with us to dinner. It would be a restaurant with an outdoor section where we could sit and I'll be having salad so Venus can pick too. Does anyone take their birds to a diner or restaurant? Any warnings or information I should think of? I want to do a second day of harness training and socialization. Plan B is to take dinner to a park too. Thanks!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Your so lucky ,New York weather is not good. But I would do dinner if in a different state. Ive taken Tequila my Zon to the park for dinner.

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
I know we have members who take their birds out, at least one of which takes his to restaurants, can't think of the username right now though.
I too am planning on doing this when Kiwiberry is harness trained lol

Make sure you post a lot of pictures! :)
Good luck

Dec 23, 2013
Ivan and I go out at least once a week...have met some great folks because of him...gets his picture taken alot

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
We had a great time last night. First Venus wasn't too thrilled about putting on the ugly harness but she reluctantly allowed it. On the car ride, she was watching everything. I love watching her in the car, she is focused on everything going on outside the windows. No I wasn't driving, Husband was. We went to a burger place (Tookies for anyone around) because they have a deck at the back under a large oak tree and it's not right on the main road. We were welcomed in, the black birds were interested in Venus and. The more that gathered she started shaking.

The deck was full of diners, we were seated and Venus was pressed against my head, eyes opened wide. When my tea came I pulled the lemon out and held it to her and she nibbled it. If she started chewing on the harness I held straw paper up and she chewed on that. A two year old and his Granny came over. He was mesmerized by Venus, all shyness out the window so that was her first visitor and she had some others. The funniest moment was when they brought the food out, all fear and shyness went out the window. Venus jumped off my shoulder to the bar top and couldn't make up her mind which plate she wanted to head for. Tookies is known for their burgers and that's what we ordered but I brought some blueberries, brown rice, black bean and corn mix. Nope, that didn't fly so I set her up with some lettuce and lemon, nope not good enough. I ended up pinching a piece of bun for her and she was happy. She started making noise and let out an Ekkie call in my ear (O. M. G.!!!!! My eyes crossed and my hear went deaf!)

I've already started making a mental list of places that have outdoor seating and healthier choices because the princess wants to eat off of what is brought out. I'm ok with that but the food choices need to be healthier for her and us! We had a great time and will do it again soon!

Venus with her straw paper, it worked like a binky.
taw5106-albums-2014-picture14038-image.jpg

Venus after dinner watching everything. It was getting dark so she was on full alert.
taw5106-albums-2014-picture14037-image.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! I'm glad the outing went so well! I've never had that experience with any of my birds, but I imagine it must be so much fun.

Two questions, though. How do you handle matters of a decidedly fecal nature? And did she spend the entire time on your shoulder, or did you bring a perch? (And if you did, what kind was unobtrusive enough for public dining?)

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Great questions because I thought of some things I will have with me or prepare for before our next trip. She did not have any accidents. She has never had an accident on me but I did think how I would handle it. I brought her travel cage and some wipes for just in case, left them in the car if needed. Also have hand cleaner in the car.

I didn't take a perch, I had decided to keep her on my shoulder in case there was any issue with her being on the table top. I do have a table top perch or a pocket perch and I am taking that next time. While she was on my shoulder I couldn't see her so well. I can touch her with my cheek and that's how I gage how she's doing, she shakes when she's scared.

I was concerned about public opinion too because some people are very sensitive to animals and public dining. I was happy it went well and we were accepted, not rejected. I did have a plan in case there was any upset by anyone else or Venus acted up, but that's most unlikely, she's so quiet. I think our next dinner trip will be at the park. We like to grill at the park plus it's much quieter. You really need to try it, I think you and your babies would enjoy it.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Looks like she had a great time! I've debated bringing Kiwi to restaurants with outdoor areas. I might just have to give it a try sometime! Glad Venus had fun:) Sounds like she's going to be one of those "goes everywhere" birds;)

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
When you guys take them to places with outside dining, do you go inside with them to get seated? Is it okay to take them just in that entry area until you can be seated outside? Most restaurants in Texas have outdoor seating--not that many people sit outside in the hot summers!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
April, I really wish Buddy would accept his harness. He would love going out, he's an attention pig and would charm everyone from a distance. I'm not giving up on him. Venus is so different from Buddy, but I can gage him better than her since he's so vocal.

Puck, Tookies had an entrance at the back by the deck but had a sign posted to see hostess inside so Husband went in to see the Hostess while I stayed outside by the deck. He told them about Venus and they set us up quickly. I entered through the outdoor entrance at the back by the deck, I didn't try to go inside. It's a customer entrance for the deck. I've worked in hospitals for years, I'm not a nurse, and when patients would come in with service animals I always volunteered to help with them. I'd help with walking, and feeding. Id go to the patient's room, introduce myself, explain what I was there for and then take their baby. A nice break from the grind, but the point is it never hurts to ask, a lot of places are flexible.

Since we are in Texas, this is prime time to get those out door dinners in, when the heat climbs, forget it! It's too hot! Our waitress loved waiting on Venus, but in a month or so, we won't want to sit outside so get the outdoor meals done now or pick them up with the first cool front.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Its funny how you described your eyeballs crossed. At our house the male Ekkies are the loudest . We call them the bullhorn brothers. Dave says it makes his eyeballs want to flip LOL :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm glad your dinner date with Venus went so well. Nice photos, thanks for sharing the experience.

Most Reactions