Here's a few questions

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
So I have a few questions and instead of going to 2 or 3 different areas I'm just going to ask them all on here.

Are flavored millets or cuttle bones as good for birds or would plain be better?

I noticed that the pet stores have "pumice" perches and was wondering if those are better than the sand perches with the same design like how its smooth on top and bottom but rough on the sides?

How can I tell if my birds perches are too small?

Which is better for the birds Zupreem fruit blend or Zupreem avain entrees?

When I take my birds to the vet would he be able to guess how old they are or is that not possible?

any answers are vauled thanks in advance.

Marie

Oct 19, 2010
Parrots
I have a Meyer's Parrot named Lily.
Plain millet would probably be better because millet in itself is very fatty and birds don't need the extra flavor. Millet should be used as a treat sometimes. Plain cuttle bones would be better as well.

Sand perches can irritate a bird's feet. Perches for a cockatiel are typically the thinnest kinds of perches for birds available in parrot supplies stores.

Once the bird has reached full maturity, it's almost impossible to tell with complete certainty how old the bird is.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I've never actually heard of 'flavoured cuttlefish bones', but I would say that natural is better. Remember that cuttlefish bone does not provide the necessary calcium and other supplements should be included.
Any perches with sand paper should be avoided. They are probably not any better than the sandpaper perches and still probably cause bumblefoot, an abscess on the bottom of the bird's foot which often becomes infected. I wouldn't risk it but it is up to you.
No perch should be the same size, you should have at least 50-80% of your perches natural. You should have some too small, some just right, and some too large. My budgies love to bounce up and down on the thin perches. Basically though, if the foot can fit more than half the way around it, it is too small.
I'm not sure on this one as I don't use pellets ( I presume they are pellets?) but maybe try a mixture and adjust over time?
Finding out the age of a cockatiel is not impossible, but very difficult.
Molting Periods - Just Cockatiels!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I prefer the natural organic pellets like Harrisons. Any bird food that has colors is concentrating on appearance and not nutritional content (my opinion).

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I agree with Ratzy on the natural perches that vary in size and not to use sand or stone perches, anytime you have a choice of a natural product or one that is artificial colored, I'd chose the natural, the sooner you can switch the birds from all seed to a pelleted diet the better, as SB said Harrison's all organic pellets are great, but a bit expensive and sometimes hard to find locally but are available via mailorder, Zupreem is not bad, go with the natual colored pellets if possible, supplemented with dark green leafy and other veggies and fruits makes for a pretty ballanced diet, unless a bird is either very young or very old there really is no way of accurately guessing age.

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I hav actually already started the switch from seeds to pellets I'm tempted to do it cold turkey but am trying to mix them together right now it is a mostly seed mixture but that will change and become entirely pellets with daily fruits and veggies. Right now I do not have the best pellets because I really wasn't prepared for the birds and knew the better the switch started the easier it would be but on pay day I will get them some natural colored Zupreem pellets. Once I get them their bigger cage I will go and find some natural perchs for them I will also be constructing there dig box today even though they won't be using it for at least a week this way I can get reaquinted with the site www.cockatielcottage.net which will provide useful information as to what I can and can not have in my birds dig box. Along with a list of bird safe and unsafe woods. I already know ceader is a BIG NO-NO. Also millet will only be give once a week or once every two weeks not going to be a staple in my birds diet by no means I was just thinking they might enjoy some flavors to it. I do have a few more questions one of which may seem really stupid.

I did not quarentine Halloween from Hallows eve because I got them from the same store where they were stacked on top of each other. Should I have quarintined them?

What are some bird safe ropes?

I know that Nutra-berries and Avicakes are approved treats on here but what about things like those yogurt dipped treats they sell in pet stores?

what is the best way to get my birds comfortable with my hands so they will be easier to tame?

Vickiesbirds

Oct 25, 2010
I have seen flavored cuttlefish bones in several pet stores. They may have been soaked in some sort of a flavored material w/ dye and retain the color from whatever they were soaked in. I would avoid these if I could... but if your bird will absolutely not eat the normal cuttlebones, and will eat the flavored ones... use them because calcium is a crucial part of a bird's diet. As for a vet being able to tell a bird's age... to some degree they can, based on how good of an avian vet you have. Usually this is just a vast ballpark estimate. When I got my first WBC as a rehome, the man I consigned him from thought he was 5, but the previous owner said he was 7. So when I took him for his first vet visit I asked, and he said that all he could tell me was that the bird is less than 10 years old. They can usually tell this by looking at the condition of the bird's feet, beak and other features... but I remember my vet really zeroing in on Remi's feet to make his estimate.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts