Here's some cage links if you're interested(It includes the ones I'm debating on.)

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
For anyone who might want some links. I've been doing some crazy research, and I have narrowed it down, and want an opinion. ALSO, I noticed that most cages with a reasonable price are about 18Wx18L. I got the measuring tape out and that doesn't seem too big, but at the same time, I have to add 4 inches for the catchers. Is 18Wx18L really too small for my future gcc?

I'm also in love with the play top on top but I'd either see a cage with no cups and just a perch with nice width, and price, OR cups with a perch, and sometimes a ladder, a good price, but its only 18x18.

Anywho, these are my options. If any one has another other links. Let me know.

Hobbs Playtop Bird Cage - Bird Cages at Bird Cages I found a coupon code for $15 off, if anyone is interested. Coupons can't be combined usually.

Avian Adventures Nina Playtop Bird Cage | Wayfair I found two places with this. One with it in blue, and another with it in ruby without paying extra.

King's Cages - Pet Bird Cages and Supplies - Pluck No More - Java wood Perches 501F I found this for $180 on ebay. I don't like that it doesnt have cups on top, or the hook, nice size though.

Select Wrought Iron Cockatiel Cage - Bird Cages at Bird Cages The price is good, and playtop is sufficient.

Kings cages say they are the only cage that allows you to remove the seed catchers ( I plan on moving the cage occasionally.) Is this true? Once you put a seed catcher on, you can't remove them without dismantling?

I'm going to make my order this weekend.

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
I have this cage:

Prevue Hendryx Flight Cage in Black | Wayfair

and I LOVE it!! I don't know if you've already come across it.. it's much larger than the ones you linked, and it's cheaper! It doesn't have a playtop, but it has a nice, big, flat top and you can build your own :). I built my own with a bendy rope perch and some toys. Plus I love the little shelf at the bottom. It looks very narrow from the picture, but it has plenty of room. I put stacks of newspaper for the cage lining, and I keep all of my bird supplies in shoeboxes that fit neatly on the shelf :). The only thing I would add is a seed catcher. I find seeds within a 3 foot radius of the cage lol! It's really not that bad though. Nothing a quick vacuuming can't fix.

Last edited:
OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Yea I saw those on ebay some time ago. How do you make a play top? Can I buy one to put on top? That seed catcher looks like a God send.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
You can buy playgyms to attach to the top of the cage. River is getting one for Christmas (shhh don't tell him lol. Its $35 :)

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
You know those bendy rope perches that have the washer and wingnuts to attach them to the bars? I do that, but I put it on the outside of the cage and I attach it to the ceiling of the cage. so it's kind of like a jungle gym on top of the cage. The budgies like to climb around on it. You could also buy a playgym like Rio's Mom said. That would probably be better since there are some toys you just can't make.

As for cage size, I think I read somewhere that 18x18x24 is the minimum, but you should really be thinking maximum. 18x18x18 is the ideal size for 1 budgie. A conure is significantly larger, plus they need lots of room to climb around and play with toys. The cage I'm getting for my new conure is 20x20x25, which is a little larger than minimum but she is only 2 months old so I'll probably be upgrading to a larger cage later. And I agree, a seed catcher would be awesome. But I've read in either this forum or another forum that seeds still end up outside the cage, just not as much. Either way I would have to vacuum so a seed catcher wouldn't really make much of a difference imo.

OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Where are you getting your bird from? Attaching a stand to the to sounds line an alternative. Does anyone on here have a picture with a setup like that? Which did they get and how was it attach? All the playtops Ive seen have stands. Is this already made for flat top cages or is this something Ill have to concoct?
How many birds do you have Birdie?

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Where are you getting your bird from? Attaching a stand to the to sounds line an alternative. Does anyone on here have a picture with a setup like that? Which did they get and how was it attach? All the playtops Ive seen have stands. Is this already made for flat top cages or is this something Ill have to concoct?

I will try to get a picture tomorrow, I really don't like artificial lighting. I have 5 birds haha - 2 budgies, 2 cockatiels, and 1 GCC (just got her about half an hour ago! I have yet to make an introduction :) ). The budgies and cockatiels live in the large flight cage. I don't think they are too crowded, but all of them love that cage and they have no problem living together even though I have separate cages for them. If you want to spend the extra money to buy a playtop cage that's your call! It's definitely sturdier than anything you'll put on the cage I think. It probably also gives more options for attaching toys and stuff. But I'm trying to start saving more money and I think this is a cheaper alternative, and just as good as a playtop. The only thing is that you don't really have anywhere to clip store-bought toys (the ones that you're supposed to hang).

OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
You lost me at the last half of your response. What will be sturdier? What do you mean I won't have space for toys. Which cage are you talking about? Are you saying with the larger cage there's no place to add toys?

Last edited:

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
You lost me at the last half of your response. What will be sturdier? What do you mean I won't have space for toys. Which cage are you talking about? Are you saying with the larger cage there's no place to add toys?

No I'm just talking about the playtop. If you get one that comes with a built-in playtop it'll be easier to hang toys from. If you just make one out of a bendy perch (approx. 1 inch diameter I believe) it'll be much harder to attach toys.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Hiya,
just a thought in regards to flight cages. They are not really designed for parrots per se - more finches and canaries etc. You will notice that the bars go up and down rather than across. Parrots are climbers and across is better because it facilitates climbing, whereas verticle bars are hard to climb on. The gauge is also a little flimsier usually because these birds arnt chewers, which you might have to watch, if they manage to worry a bit of wire loose it can be dangerous and act as a fishhook. Soo you might want to watch carefully for this.

In saying that is the gauge is big enough you can probably get around it by just having heaps of perches etc to climb on, which the extra space in a flight cage will allow you. Bigger is always better and conures are pretty small so that would have ample room!

It also depends on your lifestyle - if you are home all day and the bird will be out pretty much always except for sleeping, you can get away with a slightly smaller cage and a playtop. But er on the size of the biggest you can afford and accomodate!

If your space is limited make sure you measure! And ease of cleaning is v v important. You never realise exactly how much mess they make until you get one!

Good luck!

While I think of it....some cages and their main struts are not sealed on the ends properly. This creates a hollow unsealed strut which can v quickly get filled up with poop, seed, old food, bath water etc etc. Especially if your cage is in front of a window in the sun, it can get very stinky quickly., and unsafe for your bird. I used to have a cage like that which i would have to dismantle and soak in the bath with bird safe disinfectant every week. Which was a major hassle. I now have a better constructed cage which I got second hand and dont have that problem =)

Last edited:

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio

This is the playgym I'm going to buy Cage Top Gym Deluxe Model - CAGE TOP PLAY GYMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I emailed them, and it can be attached to flat top or dometop cages. It just connects with wingnuts.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I recommend this cage to all my babies parents : A&E Cage Co. Powder Coated Wrought Iron Cage | Wayfair. A & E makes a good quality cage.

Like mrob said, flight cages are usually for flighted light birds. However, Conures can and will climb on them no problem whatsoever. As gar as gauge goes, GCC will not bite and snap them. I would be concerned however with a larger Conure like a sun, Jenday, Blue Crown etc..... No worries with Green cheeks.

The flat top is great because you can add your own playgym (some come all made) and the uv light can freely shine down from above which you can't do with a playtop cage.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo

This is the playgym I'm going to buy Cage Top Gym Deluxe Model - CAGE TOP PLAY GYMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I emailed them, and it can be attached to flat top or dometop cages. It just connects with wingnuts.

I prefer the playgyms that have a poop catch to prevent them from pooping from above on their dishes, perches, toys etc....

Also 18" X 18" cage is way to small, I wouldn't go under 24" and my 32" is wonderful for them!!! As far as the seed catches? I removed all of them damn things!!! I had them for the bigger cages (Greys and Pionus) and kept banging my legs on the corners of them! Also yeah the seeds tend to end up less on the floor, but the poop you will get on them will be a treat to clean!!! I would rather have the poop on my linoleum and be able to mop it than to scrub those suckers! My cages are mostly A&E and I was able to take them down easily whenever i wanted but it is true that i had 1 screw to loosen in order to do that.

Most Reactions