He's too smart!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Geesh! A really, really long time ago, I bought the Rings of Fortune foraging toy for Avery, and I kid you not for nearly a year she never figured it out. I always felt a built guilty and always helped her, so maybe that's why... hah! :54: But, after she couldn't really figure it out and it would go weeks with the treats just sitting on the top ring, I retired it and it's just been sitting there collecting dust.

Shiko, being the ever vigilant and active boy he is, seems to already be bored of his toys :rolleyes: So, I figured hey! This is the perfect opportunity to bring back an old goodie! And, because Avery never figured it out, I kind of just assumed it'd take him a long time to figure things out and that he'd maybe only get a few treats... annnd absolutely LOADED the thing.

Never again :p

I set it up 10 minutes ago, went upstairs to grab my laundry and a drink, and when I came back here he was in ALL of his glory celebrating his new loot!:

So... does anyone know of some REALLY hard, not going to break the bank foraging toys for birds around Shiko's size? I have a lot that are Avery's size, but he seriously just destroys them as they're also shredding toys too. I've found a few, but they're about $40... which seems a bit excessive, but maybe that's normal?

Anyways, let me know! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Shiko looks so pleased with himself! I have that same forager and it took me longer to figure out how to fill it than it did Ekko to empty it:(
Have you checked out MSBS for foraging toys? They have so many cool ones, I bet you could find the perfect one there:)

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
I still can't get over how beautiful Shiko is. He looks so proud of himself. :)

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'll have to check out MSBS Terry, I kind of always forget about them because of the costs of shipping negating the price of the items, but if the foraging toy is expensive anyways then I'll just go for it. I'm thinking about getting quite a few and putting half of his pellets in there for activity, since he's constantly go-go-go! Seriously, this bird will do anything for food, haha! I had read that they were food orientated, but I did NOT expect him to be this driven for it!

And thanks Emily, I love his colours! I can't wait until he's got his black ring, it'll be so pretty :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Beautiful AND smart?!? Looks like you really hit the jackpot, Chantal!

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
hahaha! You're going to make him blush with all of these compliments! That, or his ego will just inflate beyond what it already is... honestly, that boy has so much confidence and ego and he just knows how handsome I think he is. I swear he only gives me cute poses so I'll get all up close fawning over him so he can try and grab at my glasses as a new chew toy...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Chantal, Shiko is such a beautiful bird. I love his, "look what I did" expression. I think he'll keep you busy finding a constant supply of interesting toys. MSBS has so many toy parts, ideas and excellent prices. I hope the shipping isn't too bad.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Oh he is gorgeous! Sounds like he is going to be a handful...smart means trouble:)

Most of these are not hard but they should help keep him occupied and looking for food everywhere:)
Ideas « Foraging for Parrots

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Wow, that is an excellent website! I'll have to start doing those for him. Poor Avery can't figure out a foraging toy for the life of her... I've had such an easy life with her as my first bird, haha! She loves just sitting on me all day. If I tried to do that with Shiko, I'd be bald I'm sure.

Thanks everyone :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts