Hey guys!!! Help me out here

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
So, I've been online doing some research in order to help my new found friend Bobby find a perfect Rescue Grey to add to his flock. In my quest, I ran across an ad for an older couple that is having to re home their beloved parrots. I spoke to her in length yesterday, because, aside from my life long dream of having a Grey, I've also really fancied Yellow Napes as well. I LOVE thier personalities and think they're just so very clever and beautiful. She has up for adoption: (1) Double Yellow Nape (1) Blue Fronted (1)Male Grand Eclectus and (1) Female Eclectus. She is willing to part with "Tango" the Yellow Nape with HUGE cage for $500. I'm struggling, struggling, struggling as I promised myself AND Maui that I would give him ALL my time and attention, especially while I"m still weaning him. Tango is a 7 yr old, well adjusted, well rounded, well behaved, VERY clever girl. Ya ever feel like sometimes you've just found the perfect fit?? I visited her today (like a fool) and even though this couple raised her from 4 weeks old and NONE of the birds get a whole lot of interaction with other people, she LIKED me. OH OH OH, What EVER shall I do?!?! My husband is like, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" "WHY?!?! WOULD YOU TORTURE YOURSELF!!"

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Uh... be strong? Of course that may seem a bit hypocritical coming from me

OP
lisamarie973

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
LOL!!!! I can be strong, I know that's for certain, I guess I just will always wonder, was SHE the one I was suppose to have?!?! I think I'm gonna pass anyways, Maui just needs so much right now, we've just begun to train him and because he's SO young, he's got a touch of ADHD, so it's hard to keep him focused on task for more than just a moment or two at a time, however, I feel that if I start training him now, even if it's little by little, he'll be a MUCH more manageable adult bird than if I wait until he's older. He's completely smart enough and DOES understand ALOT more than I thought he would at his age. We have been working on "Wings up" as I'm going to harness train him and ordered it online today, so figured it would help tremendously if he learned the "wings up" trick for putting it on him. I worked with him for the last 2 days, but only a few moments at a time and probably a total of 10 times in 2 day, if he SEE's the TREAT, he will do it, not all the way yet, but he DOES lift his wings. He just amazes me.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Honestly you are wise to focus on Maui for now. Sounds like a real sweet baby.

OP
lisamarie973

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Honestly you are wise to focus on Maui for now. Sounds like a real sweet baby.

Barb,,
He IS a real sweet baby and I'm so very much in love with him, I know what the RIGHT thing to do by Maui is and he certainly deserves it. I'm not so sure he'd take kindly to a "new baby" in the house anyways. He has already shown some signs of jealousy when I'm paying attention to any of my Mom's birds for any length of time. LOL... He starts a squawking and looking down at me and lifts one of his legs, which is hillarious, but I couldn't figure out WHY the leg lifting, until today, he's wanting me to step him up. Too Funny that bird of mine!!! He saw a newborn for the first time today and I think it completely freaked him out, feathers all fluffed out, hissed at it, the whole nine. He did eventually calm down, but he definitely did NOT want Mommy holding the baby. He crawled down to my shoulder from the back of the couch and stretched his neck out and around to the front of my face, chirping and giving kisses all the while.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yeah, I'm going to have to side with Barb. As tempting as the offer sounds for Tango, you need to devote more time to Maui at the critical age he's at. He needs the learning and oppurtunities he needs, that he'll have a hard time doing when he's an adult. Just wait another year or two before considering another bird.

On the other hand, Maui seems like such a cheeser. hahaa, so adorable. So far, it seems like you're doing a good job.

OP
lisamarie973

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Yeah, I'm going to have to side with Barb. As tempting as the offer sounds for Tango, you need to devote more time to Maui at the critical age he's at. He needs the learning and oppurtunities he needs, that he'll have a hard time doing when he's an adult. Just wait another year or two before considering another bird.

On the other hand, Maui seems like such a cheeser. hahaa, so adorable. So far, it seems like you're doing a good job.

Thanks so much! I've spoken with my hubby and have called the sweet lady. I explained to her how I just feel it would be cheating Maui out of his one on one time with me and the rest of the family. I think I've just got the "Parrot Bug", and especially after watching Sharon's Fred on video!!! Fred is just too fun and funny!! However, I made a commitment to this little guy and I really do need to stick to it. Besides, I don't know if my little heart could worry so much over 2 babies as I do just the 1! I mean, my hubby is a Vet Tech and I ER called him at work today, all because Maui was laying on the bottom of his cage sleeping (his been sleeping on his perch lately) and didn't want to be bothered at the time. I was SO FREAKED OUT!! I just KNEW he was sick or something. My husband just told me to "CHILL BILL", he's FINE, he's resting and he IS ONLY 11 weeks old still, he's allowed to sleep on the bottom of his cage sometimes and especially since you just made it all cozy on the bottom with that new bedding junk!!! He was right, Maui was fine and dandy and ready to play within the hour. Gosh, am I ALWAYS going to worry myself to pieces over him like this? I'm always afraid I'm gonna wake up and he'll be gone to birdie heaven.:(:(:(:( I take GREAT care of him, he has an EXCELLENT diet and he's slowly weaning, but, I'm still ALWAYS afraid he'll get some crazy disease on me!!! I hope this will pass as he gets older and more hearty.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Lisamarie...good decision! :) You've got a baby who need extra time at the moment.
Tango does sound tempting, though. Fred is smart, entertaining, funny, and I love him...but Amazons can sometimes be a "handful." You don't see videos of the "grouchy" Fred.:p

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Lisa you have definitely made the correct decision. http://<div><embed src=
There are going to be many many temptations along the way, as we have all experienced before. Not an easy decision to make, I admit, that's why we are all here for one another.
Maui needs all your love and attention at this stage of his life.
I am proud of you putting Maui's needs before yours

Most Reactions