Hey that's my sock!

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
So my daughter gave Waddles an old clean baby sock thinking she would like to play with it. Well here is how that played out. She took the sock and put it in her fresh food bowl and is guarding it. Now if you attempt to take the sock out even to put food in she will attempt to bite your arm off and starts screaming. I have experienced her putting foot wood toys in there and she has never been so protective over it but this is a whole new thing.

Is this normal and any idea why she won't let anyone near this sock? Should we take it out or let her keep it?

Thanks in advance for your vast knowledge :)

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I would personally take it out. More for the fact that socks are made with synthetic fibers that could be harmful if ingested.

Kinda cute though. In a scary, big-bird-bite-your-arm-off-way XD

OP
wwendy104

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
See that is what I thought but she doesn't chew it and doesn't even want to play with it really she just trys to hide it.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
It's possible that in her mind: sock = nesting material. Or it could be she simply views it as a new toy and she's feeling possessive about it.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
See that is what I thought but she doesn't chew it and doesn't even want to play with it really she just trys to hide it.

Mm, not sure... There's still a potential when you're not looking.

Could you make her a bird-safe sock-imposter toy to do a switch-a-roo with? :p

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I have a feeling he is just seeing it as a new Toy and is being very possessive over it:)

Codie puts everything in his Water Dish, then every now and then he decides to throw them at me and I end up with wet patches all over me.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
As funny as it sounds what Waddles decided to do with the sock, I would personally remove it as well. I'm sure a Mac in "breeding mode" or even protective mode is nothing to laugh at. :54: ...even though I am smiling from ear to ear when I picture Waddles in my mind protecting and stuffing her sock. :D

Most Reactions