Hi all

OP
P

Parrotlover1651

Feb 19, 2015
Macaw ( breeders, rescues, etc,) NEED HELP!!

Hi all, I know I am only 12 but I have been doing a lot do research on min/ large macaws and amazons. I have bird experience of course not just parakeets. More advance birds. I live in a house so noise isn't the problem. Everyone in my family knows about this. I already made plans for when I am at school and off to college. I talked to family and friends who can watch the macaw when I am not home. I know they have a lifespan of 60+ years (depending on species) so I am aware of the future. I did do some hand feeding at a breeder before to baby birds so I can get a young one. If you have any more tips on handfeeding tell me. I need some help on some breeders or rescues that have macaws or amazons. Mostly, the blue and gold macaw,and blue fronted Amazon. (other macaw and Amazon breeds are fine). I live in Masaachusetts so anywhere in the north east area, or places that can ship. I read online and many books about them and the proper care. I can spend about $1500-2500$ on them for the beginning. I know about their diet, cage, and toys and how much those supplies will cost. Monthly, I can spend about $100. I have handled macaws before and a family friends house and I know their bite can really hurt. I am comfortable handling a big macaw and amazons. Do you have any suggestions and nice cages, breeders, and rescues? Please help me!!!:blue1:

Thanks

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Re: Macaw ( breeders, rescues, etc,) NEED HELP!!

You didn't say where you lived. So, that would help.

The breeder I would recommend in Wendy Craig of Wendy's parrots.

Home

My favorite species (other than Hys which are clearly not in your price range) would be Greenwings, Blue Throats, Red Fronts and B&G's. If you've got your heart set on a big mac, those are the species I would look into.

Just realize that this is a life long commitment, if you make it.

OP
P

Parrotlover1651

Feb 19, 2015
Re: Macaw ( breeders, rescues, etc,) NEED HELP!!

Thank you so much birdman666 I added in my post where I live. Can't wait to look at Wendy's parrot!

Most Reactions