Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Welcome to the flock! There's a lot of great information and friendly people here. I'm. So sorry to hear of all your loss. Can I ask, was it one of those small propane tanks like you use for a grill? Or the huge ones I see in peoples yards that are hooked up to their homes? I'm feeling a bit paranoid now about the gas grill out on the porch.

OP
L

Lycrisa

Mar 4, 2012
Maryland
We had one grill tank (that's the one that started it, so do please move yours away) there was another two under the deck where that one was, so when the fire fell through, those exploded. Plus we had a oil tank for the heat up against the wall and next to that was the huge propane tank for the oven. In retrospect it seems like a disaster set up to happen. But it had always been like that since the house was built. so we didn't even think about it.

I've learned what not to do from this so, at least I got something from the experience. I'm also more level headed than I thought. I was sure if ghost died I would be a basket case. .

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
We had one grill tank (that's the one that started it, so do please move yours away) there was another two under the deck where that one was, so when the fire fell through, those exploded. Plus we had a oil tank for the heat up against the wall and next to that was the huge propane tank for the oven. In retrospect it seems like a disaster set up to happen. But it had always been like that since the house was built. so we didn't even think about it.

I've learned what not to do from this so, at least I got something from the experience. I'm also more level headed than I thought. I was sure if ghost died I would be a basket case. .

Thank you for sharing. Our grill is on the porch, not up against the house, it's up against the porch railing (maybe a 5-6 foot span across the porch?) Very scarey to think about, I hope it's far enough away from the house/outlets to not ever cross a problem.

OP
L

Lycrisa

Mar 4, 2012
Maryland
That's really scary for me, as that was how big our porch was.
Sorry about the quality but I had to enlarge it quite a bit and it was a cellphone
camera.
The red line shows how wide the deck was, the yellow is where the grill was and the green is where the propane tank sat. The force of the explosion sent the grill almost 50 ft into the woods, we have yet to locate all the propane tanks.

fire_points_by_blurxthexwolf-d4s315t.jpg

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Oh my.... now you got me thinking where else the grill could go besides on the porch. The propane tank is attached to the grill, directly underneath it. hmmmm maybe we need to switch to charcoal.....

OP
L

Lycrisa

Mar 4, 2012
Maryland
x'D that was my first thought too, but all my mom said to that was " I don't like the taste of charcoal." I couldn't help but laugh because we have a WHOLE lot of it now.
I forgot to mention we have four generations living in one house. My grandmother, mother, me and nikolai. plus two siblings and a uncle.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Lycrisa... You need to speak to someone about the accident... I really don't know what they're called, but they help people with traumas, that has happened in their lives...

I can imagine what you're going through, but please see someone.

Most Reactions