Hi I'm new here

Nigelsmybaby

Apr 7, 2017
Hi I am Susan:greenyellow:, Nigel's pet human:greenyellow: he is almost 3 yrs old this September 14th 2017, he is a white belly caique parrot which is my 2nd love. He loves to laugh, jump jump jump around, laugh, say what, what,what? Nigel,Nigel.
Cuddle, kisses, feeding the dog carrots and laugh.
Loves YouTube video's of birds. Thanks for having me
I've had birds before but 1st time wbc pet :orange:
I have a lot to learn but trying to learn everything I can to make sure he is well cared for.
Thanks for any advice.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Susan and Nigel!! At least you know your place in the pecking order! :D

We are all here for the same reasons, and there are many members with caiques.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!

I love Caiques...
If only the Rb would let me hve one.
Somebody needs to make a vid of a Caique jumping to House of Pain's "Jump Around"!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tzLjIrfk7M"]The jumping parrot - YouTube[/ame]

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
And look what else I just found...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enGSiQItjQE"]Baby caique's first jumps! - YouTube[/ame]
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
N

Nigelsmybaby

Apr 7, 2017
Thanks everyone. Just had vet visit Nigel had a well test last yr check up came back with yeast so we treated him, then tested came back good but still some low numbers, so I had him checked today for clostridium difficult toxins a&b PC. Hopefully it comes back no problems or minor issue due to antibiotics, I hope that's all it is, because if not I'm going to be sad.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Welcome to Nigel! I hope all goes well with checkups. This is a great place for support and information.

My African grey is named Nigel also, good name!

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Welcome! I hope all is well with little Nigel. Please keep us updated.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
3-4 weeks before I hear back. All birdy prayers needed

That long??? Hope all is well, because there will be a gap between the results, and if necessary, treatment.

OP
N

Nigelsmybaby

Apr 7, 2017
My love Nigel "aka" puffermunkin
Update:
The Vet called this morning, it is clostridium so he is calling in a compound for treatment and then in 2 weeks check, but this is better than PDD.
I just have to keep an eye on him, because antibiotics can cause him to loose his balance.
I'm going to have him vaccinated for the PDD when we get through all this, some are saying that no vaccine but my vet says they get it from Texas a&mMy vet said there is a vaccine Texas a&m university;
Texas A&M Develops New Vaccine To Combat Lethal Disease Affecting Captive Parrots - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Researchers at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) have developed a highly effective vaccine against a lethal virus disease of captive parrots. The disease, called Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD), results in blindness, heart failure, or intestinal blockage. It is caused by a virus called Avian Bornavirus. Use of the vaccine against this virus prevented the development of disease in captive birds with no obvious adverse effects.
The investigators—Drs. Ian Tizard, Jianhua Guo, Susan Payne, and Samer Hameed—work at the Schubot Exotic Bird Health Center at the CVM. The research was supported by the Schubot Center and the college. The center is dedicated to conducting research that will improve the health and quality of life of both captive and wild birds. While currently focusing on diseases of parrots, investigators at the center are also studying diseases of water birds, quail, and cranes.
“Proventricular Dilatation disease is an especially nasty infection that kills large numbers of captive birds each year,” said Dr. Ian Tizard, the project leader. “Parrot owners are naturally very distressed when their beloved pet dies in such a manner. The new vaccine is expected to stop the development of this disease and prevent much suffering.”
The next step in the development of this vaccine will be to seek USDA licensure and then to manufacture the vaccine commercially. This will require extensive field-testing to ensure that the vaccine is safe and that it is effective in many species of pet birds. Thus it will take some time before the vaccine becomes available to parrot owners. Current plans are to market the vaccine through avian veterinarians.
The pace of the additional studies will naturally depend upon the resources available. Current resources are limited, so it is difficult to state when this vaccine will be available to parrot owners.
###
Contact Information: Megan Palsa, [email protected], 979-862-4216, 979-421-3121 (cell)

So treatment starts tomorrow

OP
N

Nigelsmybaby

Apr 7, 2017
:orange:My love Nigel "aka" puffermunkin
Update:
The Vet called this morning, it is clostridium so he is calling in a compound for treatment and then in 2 weeks check, but this is better than PDD.
I just have to keep an eye on him, because antibiotics can cause him to loose his balance. So I may keep him in his smaller cage until we get through all this. :rainbow1:
I'm going to have him vaccinated for the PDD when we get through all this, some are saying that no vaccine but my vet says they get it from Texas a&mMy vet said there is a vaccine Texas a&m university;
Texas A&M Develops New Vaccine To Combat Lethal Disease Affecting Captive Parrots - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Researchers at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) have developed a highly effective vaccine against a lethal virus disease of captive parrots. The disease, called Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD), results in blindness, heart failure, or intestinal blockage. It is caused by a virus called Avian Bornavirus. Use of the vaccine against this virus prevented the development of disease in captive birds with no obvious adverse effects.
The investigators—Drs. Ian Tizard, Jianhua Guo, Susan Payne, and Samer Hameed—work at the Schubot Exotic Bird Health Center at the CVM. The research was supported by the Schubot Center and the college. The center is dedicated to conducting research that will improve the health and quality of life of both captive and wild birds. While currently focusing on diseases of parrots, investigators at the center are also studying diseases of water birds, quail, and cranes.
“Proventricular Dilatation disease is an especially nasty infection that kills large numbers of captive birds each year,” said Dr. Ian Tizard, the project leader. “Parrot owners are naturally very distressed when their beloved pet dies in such a manner. The new vaccine is expected to stop the development of this disease and prevent much suffering.”
The next step in the development of this vaccine will be to seek USDA licensure and then to manufacture the vaccine commercially. This will require extensive field-testing to ensure that the vaccine is safe and that it is effective in many species of pet birds. Thus it will take some time before the vaccine becomes available to parrot owners. Current plans are to market the vaccine through avian veterinarians.
The pace of the additional studies will naturally depend upon the resources available. Current resources are limited, so it is difficult to state when this vaccine will be available to parrot owners.
###
Contact Information: Megan Palsa, [email protected], 979-862-4216, 979-421-3121 (cell)

So treatment starts tomorrow

Most Reactions