Hi im new........

Fishnvw

Feb 8, 2011
Hello all, the name is Anthony and I'm from washington state. Big time fish keeper and breeder, I have had a few diffrent parrots over the years but never got serious about health and parrot behavior untill Sammy. Sammy is my bare eyed cockatoo. He's 18 years old and I rescued him 6 years ago. Whe I got sammy he was a "project bird" that what the pervious owner called him. He was in a cage comperable to a cage I had my old cockatiel (paco) in. He was not out of his cage in the over 10 years the guy had owned him. He was a very mean and bite happy bird (and for good reason) I would hate the world if all I knew of it was the confines of a very small cage too. The guy came into the pet store I was working in part time as the fish guy (my only way to vomit my fish knowledge without driving my wife nuts) when in walks a man asking if we would take a big bird he had. The shop owner said no we don't have room. And I said what kind of bird he said I don't know a big white one that I have had for 10 years. So I went out to his car and to see the bird. Oh man this bird looked scared to death and was in a tiny cage. I told him I would take the bird. I had had my cockatiel for about 12 years and I thought how much diffrent could be.... I told him that I would really like it if I could have the parrots home cage instead of the travel cage (that what I thought this cockatiel cage was for "travel". He told me this was the parrots home cage. So I took him knowing that at bear minimum I would at least be able to give him a better home then he had. I bought a book from our shop called "guide to companion parrot behavior" and jumped on c/l in search of a cage. I found one that was good size for him in a few hours and picked it up later that night.. I transferd Sammy into the new cage and got 2 nice big blood drawing still have a scar from one of the two bites. And I opened my new book. I read it from cover to cover twice in the course of a week while I let Sammy get used to his new home. And then came the work, and bites, so so many bites. After a lot of work and tips from the book in about 5 weeks of a minimum of 3 hours a day. Sammy is my baby... I would and try to give him the world. That's my story. I joined because I still have one thing I haven't worked out yet. And that his feathers.. he has never once plucked and I am very grateful for this. But in the 6 years I have had him his feathers have never had a "nice" and soft look to them, he has been perfectly happy and healthy, and I have never seen this as a problem.. but when people see him for the first time they always ask what's wrong with his feathers... I always answer the same "I don't know it just sammy".. any tips?

bells

Dec 12, 2010
Media
Cape Town, sunny South Africa
Parrots
Dex-6yr old F HR cockatiel
Dee-Dee-6yr old wild-tamed F cockatiel
Charlie- 18mnth old U2 rehomed
Can you give some information on his diet? That is usually a huge factor in feather health. Maybe upload a photo? Also, is he taking any parrot supplements/tonics?

OP
F

Fishnvw

Feb 8, 2011
1240447180937.jpg

That's the only pic I have on my phone (I'm at work). He's on a staple of zupreem natural and he gets noodels and some fruits on occasion. Oh and no special vitamins or anything like that. I thought it was from his previous living conditions and kinda just said that must be it.... but that dosent make since to me.

OP
F

Fishnvw

Feb 8, 2011
You see his feathers on his wings there? That's sometimes over a large part of his body. Its almost like most of his feathers are shroter then there supposed to be or something. Also I notice after he takes a bath he rarely preens. He just dosent seem concerned with keeping himself "pretty".

Last edited:

bells

Dec 12, 2010
Media
Cape Town, sunny South Africa
Parrots
Dex-6yr old F HR cockatiel
Dee-Dee-6yr old wild-tamed F cockatiel
Charlie- 18mnth old U2 rehomed
Oh he is gorgeous! Ok so this is what I know about Toos diet- they do need a LOT of fruit and veg in their diet. When my Umbrella came to me, he was getting some apple/corn once or twice a week.He also had "shorter" feathers, dry, broken feathers and a lot that just didnt seem to "smooth" down with the rest. Since introducing fruit and veg daily, his feathers are BEAUTIFUL. MUCH smoother and thicker and lush and even whiter. I also give him a parrot tonic that includes vit B which i add to his water. We are still not quite there yet but I am hoping the improvement continues. The vet is very optimistic.
As far as what they will eat, search the internet for "safe" foods first, (no avo, caffeine,choc, raw onion and garlic etc) and then work out what he likes. It is also good to add cooked brown rice, bit of cooked sweet potato and pumpkin. I would suggest adding it slowly as he is not used to it.
The site Mytoos.com is a WONDERFUL resource!!
Best of luck!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts