Hi ive recently got a 3 year old African gray called Charlie and wud like a bit of ad

dee1984

Nov 20, 2013
9yjabejy.jpg

OP
dee1984

dee1984

Nov 20, 2013
I no sorry im new ive recently got a 3 year old African gray parrot and was after some advice on how to train him he will let me stroke him but bites alot and swears any advice would be brill

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
Im new to greys too but with smaller birds what we did was ignore the swearing completely or say no if they understood what no ment. then praise and interact when ever they said anything else. I've started training mine with small bits of fruit to step up and stuff.
I don't know a lot about what to do when they bite I read you walk away and don't interact with them when they do it but I'm sure someone will reply in a min with more advice on this and congratulations I ur new grey

OP
dee1984

dee1984

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks katiejayne and hope all goes well for u and your new bird alot of hard work a head but they worth it hes already part of the family

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It takes a lot of time for them to get used to you and learn to trust you. If you just got Charlie I would sit by the cage and talk to him, read books to him, hand him treats. Let him get see you aren't a threat.
I am not sure if it is just the angle of the photo but Charlie doesn't seem to have any toys in his cage to play with. Greys should have lots of toys to play with and different kinds of perches like rope, wood and the sand rock kind that looks like a pumice stone (can't remember the name of it right now).
Hope this helps and good luck

Irene

Most Reactions