hi soon to be conure mommy

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Been waiting almost 10 years to own a conure and now my kids are in school all day I think it's finally time I have plenty of time to spend with our new baby and I am so excited to bring him/her home.

I happen to be going through a pet store for our bird only because we have no breeders in our area and I don't want to ship my baby I want to meet them in person. The particular store we are going with does breed and handraise their own birds so I know it's not coming from a mill situation.

If all goes right we're meeting the bird Tuesday and will bring him home Friday, but if we don't click with this bird they will have more babies weaned in 3-4 months we can pick from. I'm in no rush either I want to get a bird who will enjoy our company as much as we'll enjoy their's.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Welcome to the forum! Conures are a good choice for a family because they usually like a lot of people. They are also very clowny and entertaining.

Do you know what kind you're going to get?

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

I was looking at a sun conure, but I would be open to a green cheek as well. We are all going Tuesday to see the sun conure they have and see if he/she is ok with all of us. Than we want to come home and think some more and make sure we are truly ready for the bird. Than, as long as we all agree, I'll go get it Friday(if the bird is still available). I'll probably spend some more one on one time with the bird Friday too and make sure I'm sure. The pet store is over an hour away, close to 2 hours so we'll have a nice long car ride home.

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Welcome to the forum! Conures are wonderful birds and I'm sure you'll find one that will fit in to your family. :)

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
sun conures tend to be very loud other than that there good birds green cheeks are also good birds

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Good luck! Where are you from? I'm surprised there are no conure breeders in your area, there seems to be a lot of them. At least you found a store that breeds their own birds, make sure you ask a lot of questions and see if you can sit in on a hand feeding session. I've noticed, especially with stores, that a lot of them hand feed but it usually only involves a quick fill of the crop and then back in the brooder. You want to make sure that they have been properly socializing their babies while they are feeding them.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

I'm in northwest Indiana. We found a breeder roughly the same distance as the pet store and he's cheaper. The babies won't be ready for a bit but we are going on Friday to see them and pick our baby, he has 6 to pick from so odds are we'll find one that'll be good match for us.

I'm SO excited! And will probably have some pics to post when we get back.

hexi99

Feb 9, 2012
wisconsin
Parrots
5 lovebirds,4 conures and a quaker
i cant wait to see what your new baby will look like. i am owned by 4 conures,they can have loud moments but they are very funny. congrats on whatever one you choose

Most Reactions