hi to all

manitu

Jan 19, 2012
hi there my name is Gerald
and i am quite new to birds
have been keeping Discus (tropical Fish ) for a number of years
i allways fancied a Parrot
i have now bought a Hahns Macaw (5 Months Old Parent raised)
ive had him now for 4 Days
i tried feeding him with millet and he starts screeming at me veryl laudly
is there anyone out in this forum who has experienced the same problem

kind Regards

Gerald

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
It takes time for you bird to bond and fell safe. Dont push to hard.To start with just sit and talk to him and take it easy from there. Reed books and literature regarding how to get a bird to trust you. Congrat to your bird, good luck and welcome to this forum

angel2k6

Jan 16, 2012
Tennesse
Parrots
2 Gray Ringneck Parrots
I am also new to birds so I had to do alot of reading on what my particular bird likes there should be a special seed mixture or pellet for Macaws for instance along with the seeds that my two ringneck parrots eat they also enjoy fruits and veggies like apples carrots brocolli grapes they really enjoy the fruit that is filled with juices I use the millet as a treat for them a little bit of that goes a long way for me I used those types of treats as rewards for them when they do good you have to just do alot of reading here is a site that has helped me some with my birds hope it helps Pet Parrots 101 - Macaws food

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Welcome to the forum. It takes time to bond with a bird. Talk to it, sing to it, imitate it's vocalizations except for screaming or any sound it makes due to being frightened. Offer it treats from your hands. Hide under a blanket and play peek a boo.

A parent raised bird will require a lot of patience and time to win over compared to one that was hand raised by a breeder.

OP
manitu

manitu

Jan 19, 2012
Millet has Little to none nutritional value. If you are new to birds, please study up on what a parrot should be eating. It is not seeds. Fruits, veggies, grains, nuts (no peanuts), pellets. There are many web sites and articles here on the forum. Macaw Care Guide, All about Macaws

Hi I think I have not explained myself
What I meant whas I was trying to use millet as a treat when I opened the cage and tried to hand feed my parrot b screamed
Thanks to all that have wellcomed me

Most Reactions