hi

veritas

Jan 2, 2014
hi all :)

i am a habitual forum lurker, as i believe it's better to listen(read) than to talk when new to something, but am finally signing up for this one, as i think there's lots of good information here. i am a 'dog person' (actively involved in training/titling dogs in akc obedience/schutzhund for ~10 years now) that is considering adding a parrot to my household. i've been researching for ~1 month now, as i love the idea of a parrot, but will not rush into such a weighty decision for myself & the animal. in the mean time, i know i will learn a lot here about parrot husbandry, and that's exciting.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Welcome to the forum, Veritas! (Great name, btw!) And good move doing your research before deciding on getting a bird. Parrots are often abandoned by people who had the best of intentions but turned out to be both uninformed and ill-prepared.

Best of luck in your research. I'm new to this forum myself, and I've found the experience and knowledge of many on this site to be VERY helpful.

OP
V

veritas

Jan 2, 2014
thank you for the welcome. :D i have not completely made up my mind about what type of parrot would best suit me - that's part of the reason i'm here. the characteristics i'm looking for are primarily: highly social & highly amenable to training - tricks, talking etc & general overall health/easy keeper. (with proper environment, food etc) i am also extremely interested in the idea of free-flying birds, so an ideal candidate would also be well-suited for that down the road.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to our forum
There are so many different species to choose from going to be a tough choice