Hi

Parrots7

Apr 8, 2018
Hi everyone. I have a question. I have a hybrid sun conure that I took to have his wings and talons clipped. After doing his wing he went limp in my hands. I thought I killed my bird but after a couple hours he was eating and drinking, however today he is not his normal talking self and is puffed up. I know he got stressed but how long will it take to get back to normal? And what can I do to help him?

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Hello and welcome.
My first question is, was this bird originally able to fly? If he was and he suddenly can't, he might be confused or stressed. Imagine, one day you are able to run, and the next, your legs suddenly don't work like they used to. He will need to transition to this change. If he was fully flighted before, he might try to fly and crash land. I personally haven't clipped a birds wings before. So am not sure what to suggest, or how long he might take to get used to it. Hopefully someone with more experience on the topic will comment soon. But for now, just make sure you offer him comfort and encourage him to climb around his cage by offering treats.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My JoJo takes a day or two to get over a visit to the vet!
Remember, he looks to you for protection, and right now is confused!
Sounds like your baby went into shock, but fortunately, recovered!

Am not a big fan of clipping, but both wings were clipped, I hope! Doing only one side is much harder for your baby to deal with!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like a terribly stressful time for your bird.

Can you share more background? How long have you had him, was this the first clip with you? Did you observe his actions the entire time, or was he brought to another area?

Recovery should be fairly quick. If not completely normal the next day or two, I'd recommend a visit with an avian certified vet.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Welcome to the forum! I'm in agreement with the above posts, takes a bit to adjust to having wings clipped and may be confused but will recuperate! When they are clipped, they are very dependent on you more for their direction and guidance. If he's not normal within a day or so, I would also second in taking him to an avian vet.

A hybrid sun conure...very interesting! Would love to see pics.

Most Reactions

Latest posts