Hi

HannahW

Dec 31, 2010
Georgia
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw - Wall-E

Sun Conure - Fawkes
My husband and I have recently rescued a Blue and Gold. Actually, we brought him home yesterday. He seems be settling in well, and we are really enjoying getting to know him. He doesn't like to be touched or handled and gets alittle antsy when you move to quickly towards him. We don't know exactly how old he is, we were told he was around 6 years of age. I was really glad to find this forum, and have enjoyed reading some of the posts. Before Wally and I sign off, I do have one question. In my research about him, I have read that some macaws will make a snoring/purring sound when they are happy. Wally does this, my husband has watched him and he seems to be grinding his bottom beak against his top. Is it true that this is his way of 'purring'? Or should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
That is totally normal. All parrots do that when they are content. Some birds are just louder than others hence where some people getting the snoring/purring sound..

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Welcome to the forum... there are great people here.
What is your fids name?
We would love to see some pictures.

OP
HannahW

HannahW

Dec 31, 2010
Georgia
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw - Wall-E

Sun Conure - Fawkes
Thanks for the posts! I am glad that the sounds means he is content. He is so shy and we aren't sure how well he was treated before we brought him home. It is good to know that he is happy in our family.

I would love to post pics, but Wally is so shy right now, we are going to give him some more time to get used to being around us first. I don't think I have ever seen a Macaw peek around his toys at you when anyone is around his cage. :) Hope everyone is having a wonderful New Years!

Most Reactions