High-Pitched Screaming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Oook, I am about to lose it :D

For quite awhile Jasper has decided he's going to scream and scream when I get home from work. Not his "hawk-like" parrot scream. A high-pitched super annoying scream. Over and over and over.

It almost looks like something is wrong because he's visibly upset - his body is kind of shaking, he's flipping his wings like crazy (like he wants to fly but doesn't), and is just generally super agitated.

So I'll go over (sometimes) to his cage and then he flaps his wings (fully extended) a couple times, squawks, then gives me some happy noise and all is good. Other times he won't come to me at all and he'll continue freaking out on top of his cage continuing everything.

Of course I'm assuming this is an attention thing, but if I ignore him, he just continues.

What can I possibly try to stop this behaviour? I have no idea why he does it. Always when I get home, and even sometimes in the morning.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Hi - have you changed the color of your hair, do your where your makeup differently, did you buy a new lamp, did you give him a new toy, did the neighbors get a new car? Is the ANYTHING that changed from his view point? Time of day? Kids home from school at different times?

I'm sure you have thought of it but just trying to jog the mind a bit.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Nope, nothing has changed. It's just him and I in my apartment and nothing new! (And my work schedule is the same)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Can you put in a routine of going to him before anything else that you do in the morning and on returning to head this off. Go over to him talk to him tell him about your day and ask him about his. He can have the choice of coming out of his cage or not.

If Jasper is feeling a bit put out this should put pay to it if it is something else it may not. They definitely like to feel special. Has he plenty to do during the day?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
If it is an attention thing, it may very well take some time for a course-correct. And the interim will likely be maddening, as you can't give in and reward his screams.

I really like Plumsmum's suggestion about going to him first to attempt heading some of this behavior off. Proactive measures are always a good thing. Just make sure to remain consistent about not rewarding the screaming. No matter how migraine-inducing it gets. Harder in the short run, I know. The payoff, however, is worth it.

And speaking of payoff, have a treat at hand to reward him whenever there is a significant lull in his screams. Rewarding the good behavior is as important as not rewarding the bad.

When I was working to eliminate an unwanted screaming behavior, I made a big show of being driven away by the noise if he (Bixby) started up as I was approaching him. He made the connection soon enough, and the behavior stopped soon thereafter.

But pay close attention to any other warning signs in case this is anything other than a behavioral issue. Changes in appetite, weight, activity level, feces, posture, etc. If you notice anything like that, best bet is to take him in to a vet.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Appreciate all of the replies, thank you!

Yes, as soon as I get home from work I always go straight to him first. Always. I miss my little booger like crazy. I guess spending a bit more time with him before I start making dinner and all that could help.

And every morning now just as he sees that I'm packing my lunch it begins again (this is about 10 min before I leave for work). As soon as I get up in the morning I always take him out and he sits on top of his cage and talks to me while I"m getting ready. We both eat breakfast at the same time. Same morning schedule for the entire time I"ve had him.

But when I'm about to leave, that's when it starts :( He has lots of toys in his cage and I leave music on for him through the day. I can see he plays all day/talks etc. I guess it's that not wanting me to leave but not sure what I can do.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Will try to reward when he's not screaming (last night he was an ANGEL) and leave the room when he's screaming.

And people ask me if I ever want to have children, please, I already have one!!! :18:

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Update: NO screaming this morning :eek:

When it was time to start making my lunch I decided to tell Jasper allllll about my upcoming day and what I was going to do at work, and when I get home later. He listened intently, beak scraped, and not a single scream. Rewarded for that!!

:D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Beautiful! Looks like all he wanted was your itinerary all along! Lol!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions