Hiii Parrot Forums!!!

ShoniNikki

Oct 24, 2011
Tooele, Utah
Parrots
I have 0.1 sun conure CHACHI ;)
Hey there to all... I am new to the forums... Have had a beautiful sun conure :orange:for over 4 years now!! I have a few questions!

I have clipped my chachi's wings before but i was wondering if there was a way to do so without clipping away her gorgeous blue feathers!!!

Also how do I go about clipping her nails!!! I tried once and failed miserably luckily I had styptic powder on hand from my clumsy dane!!!

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Welcome! I think you will enjoy the information you find here, but as for my nail clipping technique, it involves putting quack in a travel cage, driving down to the local bird store, paying $10, and walking out with shorter nails ;)...I'm not much help....:cool: My last bird before him I wrapped in a towel like a burrito and used a dremel. I always hated how worked up he got. It was probably harder on me than him, though. This time I decided, "Ah, I hate doing it, so I wont!" :09:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You've had your Sun for over 4 years! What did you do with his nails during these years?

Is there any reason you need to clip his wings.. you say you want the beautiful feathers to show.. Maybe you can clip so the do show?

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
I have to have someone help me clip the nails. I've done it before myself but it's much more difficult when you do it on your own.

If you have someone to help you and your bird nips a bit because it's scared, use a towel.

In addition, there is a way to gently hold your fingers under his/her chin and the back of the neck so they can't bite you when you are clipping.

But don't squeeze just gently hold in a way so they can't maneuver around to bite.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
remember to speak softly and reassuringly to ur baby while the whole thing is happening. Birds can seize and die of they get too stressed out. Stop if he looks like he's not handling it well.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I just drive to the bird store and have them clip my 2 conures nails. I'd rather them hate the store owner than me :p annnnnd I'm really afraid of clipping the nail too short.

OP
S

ShoniNikki

Oct 24, 2011
Tooele, Utah
Parrots
I have 0.1 sun conure CHACHI ;)
well Thank you everyone... I Have clipped her nails before but I clipped a little too short and had to use the styptic powder to stop the blood :( I would like to not have to clip her but if I dont then she goes rebellious on me and flies whenever and wherever she wants LOL She is my first bird!!!! So I Havent mastered the art of training her just yet LOL Any tips on this would help too LOL Can you teach an old bird new tricks LOL

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
When I lived in Costa Rica I had the most awesome Sun conure!! I hand fed him, he came to school with me everyday, no cage, just perches. He was clipped for about the first year and then he was free. He would fly outside and then just come in when he was ready. He was a friend and so silly!!! He's still in Costa Rica, with a family of 7 other suns... so he's become loud and no longer flys free.

Enjoy your sun!!!!!! They are awesome!

Most Reactions