Histology of my beloved budgie Bilko

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello. As I mentioned, my beloved budgie Bilko died on 25. 10. 2019. The histology report says the cause of death was the ACUTE inflammation of the liver. No toxic damage of liver was discovered. The histology says it could be a bacterial etiology or a virus etiology, despite there were no inclusions which would confirm the virus etiology. But my vet. doctor suggests the virus etiology, because bacterial hepatitis use to have a chronic progress.

Now, I am asking myself : could this be caused by a weak immune system and defect of the vitamins? Is the autopsy and histology reliable so it can confirm or disprove the lack of vitamins of the budgie?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of Bilko. Seeking a cause for his loss is difficult beyond the histology report. A deep scientific background and knowledgeable avian vet needed to understand the variables.

As far as vitamins are concerned, we generally recommend supplements only as directed by a certified avian vet. Many processed foods are fortified and there is risk of overabundance leading to unintended consequences.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Thank you. I did not quite understand that, sorry.

The avian can not know the exact reason.... It does not look on bacterial problem, there are not inclusions of viral hepatitis, so it could be multifactorial. Maybe also stress, and I am shaming for that.
I was meaning the vitamins in food. Like I prefer feeding my budgies seed, sometimes carrots, eggs with carrots and apples, some greens when available.... but it should not be a defect of vitamins.

Anyway, Bilko is staying with us forever, and I have 3 young budgies now, 2 recently born in a bird box and they will be gifted to somebody... I do not want very young budgies anymore.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so sorry :(

I do think it is amazing that you are trying to figure this out, but try not to blame yourself for it. You are doing an amazing thing by trying to solve the mystery though.

If he was out of his cage could he have gotten into something poisonous and did they test for metals? I am not sure if metals would harm the liver, of how that whole process works, but that might be something to consider.

If he was taking supplements in high doses or eating fortified human food, that might also impact the liver...Were the vegetables and fruits washed thoroughly?

I am sorry and I hope you find some peace in the end. Thank you for sharing---please know that any owner who is still trying to arrive a conclusion (as you are) cannot be blamed because it is so clear that you did everything you could for your bird (or you wouldn't still care).

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Noodles, thank you.... No the end, Bilko will be with us forever.... Maybe I did not mention or I did...

There were no signs of poisoning the liver by toxins..... I think in such case it would be mentioned in the histology. Aflatoxins or other toxins would cause the cirrhosis of the liver. Or the tumor.

I admited that I use be bad sometimes on my budgies, like sometimes pressing Bilko on the bars, when he fell down from the cage and I was affraid of that... That pressing was not too hard, but anyway I have remorses for that. Maybe I should not own the budgie. I am too addicted to some strict diagnossis and I would like to know the exact name of the virus or bacteria. Bilko was not eaing human food, maybe just the eggs with carrots and apples. If the zinc on the cage would be a problem ( if there is a zinc ), the pancreas would be mainly affected. Bilko was more than one year in the room with a little handicaped female who had 2 previous owners before. Maybe I will will gradually be testing her for individual possible viruses of she has or not.... not all at once, it would be too expensive.... If I would find the exact reason of the acute hepatitis, maybe I would be more peacefull. If the stress was contributing on that, I do not know.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The passing of your Budgie sounds a lot like the passing of my Cockatiel Sunny.
The liver had evidence of cirrhosis of the liver. In addition to blood loss under the skin that was well hidden by feathers.

At least we still have her first clutch of babies and they are doing well.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello, I am sorry for your cockatiel. How old was he ( she )?
I do not understand the sentence with blood loss.
What did your cockatiel suffer from? Cirrhosis? Was it confirmed?
My budgie had just acute inflammation of the liver due to hepatitis. That is something different, I think.
Yes, I regret that I gifted children from this my male to people in the past. 5 babies with 2 or 3 females, I destroyed the other eggs, but I regret that too now. I know at least 3 those babies are already dead. You have a pleasure with the babies from your cockatiel, that is good.

Most Reactions