Historic Bird Portraits

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
This thread is a series of historic bird portraits (mostly parrots!), including...
*natural history prints
*historic fine art paintings
*ancient hieroglyphs and petroglyphs

I saw this in an antique shop in Taos, New Mexico many years ago. It was noted to be "French, 19th century, a canary with a Napoleon III chair, signed giclée print of original pencil drawing, printed on high quality German etching paper."
Dimensions of print - 16 x 20 inches.
The hand-written 'label' on the back reads "mon canari", French for "my canary".
And that's all I know about this little gem.
I think it's very simple and sweet.
Canaries are delightful little birds who really brighten a household. I used to have a little crew of them!

bD3Xg7G.jpg

jikJLy9.png

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
This thread is a series of historic bird portraits (mostly parrots!), including...
*natural history prints

This one's not just historic... it's PRE-historic!

HuhHP2p.png

Last edited:
OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
*natural history prints

The latest installment...
This is Georg Flegel's "Still Life With Pygmy Parrot", 1655.

Which Pygmy is this little bird? Google didn't help me decide.

nSNnDk0.png

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
*natural history prints

Frida Kahlo, early Mexican feminist and absolute one-of-a-kind pioneer of what some called pop art, painted this self-portrait in about 1940. The bird is "Bonito", apparently a double yellowhead, right? She's wearing black because she is in mourning for her father. She loved birds and painted many of them. Check out the famous unibrow. In fact, she was a great beauty, but purposefully 'hairied' herself up to lessen what she considered to be too-classic feminine facial characteristics.
YZ8pYn1.jpg

caiquewalk

Feb 16, 2018
Media
hieronymus bosch

https://goo.gl/images/LKYunK

This is probably the only image that is appropriate to post. hieronymus bosch was a Dutch painter in the late 1480 to early 1500’s. His works are quite eccentric I have been lucky enough to see all his works at a special exhibition a few years back. It was the first that all his paintings have been seen together in one place.

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
Oh, I love that.

That would have been spectacular, to see all those works together. I bet your eyes were exhausted!

Can you imagine having a brain that hatched stuff like that, pun intended??? The more I stare, the more I see.

Thanks for that.

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
*natural history prints

Wyr73tj.png

This is another from Georg Flegel, @1625.

What a spread! I see dates and various fruits, peppers, oysters (or are those some kind of pitted fruits?), cute little braided pastries, bread... what ARE those little white cylinders that look like cigarettes?????

The Amazon is a Blue Front? Perching on a big beer stein???​

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The mint stick and Amazon snob has spoken. :D

I recall my Grandmother talking about Christmas when she was a child and that her Grandmother would always bring mint sticks for Christmas. In this case, I am more comfortable with calling the mint sticks than the Amazon. After all, its that Artist's and representation part of their work.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Nope! Just means you're a parront! Lol!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Is it weird that I'm looking for things in this beautiful painting that the parrot can eat and make him sick?

Ask Kiwi and he'll insist sandwiches and baked goodies are a healthy part of the amazon diet:rolleyes: Personally, I'm looking at how unrealistically calm that blue front looks! This artist must've painted the table then painted the bird separately lol. No parrot, much less an amazon, just sits there on a table of sandwiches, fruit and baked goodies and behaves whilst a portrait is painted:p

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
*natural history prints

Today, a bit of departure...
I give you "Woodstock", from the Peanuts Comic Strip by Charles Schultz.
To our knowledge, he wasn't modeled after a real bird or person, but came about as a little being whose evolution was just about becoming a best friend (Snoopy's), with foibles, loving kindness, and faithulness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_(Peanuts)

X3C0BQp.jpg

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
*natural history prints

'Parrot' from West Mesa area, near Albuquerque, NM, photographed by Peter Farris in 1988. It's an ancient (@ 1000 BC) petroglyph, about 3 feet tall, created by indigenous Native Americans.
The species is not native. Even in those days, animals were captured and transported from South America Northwards. Macaw, maybe?

aW9MU6P.jpg

OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
This thread is a series of historic bird portraits (mostly parrots!) and related topics, including...
*natural history prints
*videos on art and artists

This video spotlights the fabulous Edward Lear, one of my favorites.. a famous bird illustrator and also, nonsense genius!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPN0pqhlrIU"]The Life Of Edward Lear - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
G

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
This thread is a series of historic bird portraits (mostly parrots!) and related topics, including...
*natural history prints
*videos on art and artists

This installment... another look at the fabulous Edward Lear's birds. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBdhm8aQCPw"]David Attenborough views Birds Drawn for John Gould by Edward Lear | The Folio Society - YouTube[/ame]​

Last edited:

Most Reactions