Home Temperature Settings for Wintertime Eckies

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Too old to like winter. I did just spend $1800 on a new Ariens after that last big, heavy one.

Never enjoyable to spend the money, but the knowledge that it will start and blow the snow to another location is a great, but back braking thing. FYI: As the dealer states, let the blower do the work! If only my thick skull would ever listen!!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Never enjoyable to spend the money, but the knowledge that it will start and blow the snow to another location is a great, but back braking thing. FYI: As the dealer states, let the blower do the work! If only my thick skull would ever listen!!
My issue was that my old Ariens was getting too much for me to muscle around, especially with wet snow so I opted for one with power steering, and Ariens is the best on the market for that. Now one handed effortless turning.
Having said that, I would not be at all upset of my spending this money caused it not to snow for the rest of the winter ;)

throwingcopper33

Sep 28, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
As far as the sleeping schedule goes, Luna does the same during winter. As the days get shorter, the earlier she wants to go to sleep. Her body rhythm is in sync with the sunset because her cage is next to the window. She will sleep 12 hours during the winter, 11 hours during spring and fall, and 10 hours during the summer with the longer daylight.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm in Alberta, and it gets really cold here. 2 weeks ago we were at -38 with wind chill of -47. I keep my thermostat on 70 all winter and it stays plenty warm both upstairs and downstairs.
Thank goodness we are having a warm spell, only -9 yesterday!
Our electric bill is through the roof this year.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
It is terrifically cold here, 25-40 below F with wind chill. And this is December. I wonder what mid-January will be like?
Hello When i came back from vietnam in 1970 i could not handle the cold of new york so i lived in south florida until recently moving to north central florida where it rarely goes below 40:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hello When i came back from vietnam in 1970 i could not handle the cold of new york so i lived in south florida until recently moving to north central florida where it rarely goes below 40:)
My cousin moved from northern WI to central Florida and finds the winters much more pleasant there.

He says you just don’t go outside in the summer.

I would like to visit him and see an ocean and alligators and the keys at least once. It is amazing to me that we are all in the same country!

Most Reactions

Latest posts